can I reintro a compliant food during my whole 30?

LisaLulu

Partway through this second whole 30 I suspected that white potatoes might be causing my body aches. (They weren't allowed on my first whole 30 and I didn't get any aches) I cut them out 4 days ago and feel great again. I have 9 days left on my whole 30 so I'm wondering if I should reintro them sometime in the next week to see if I react so I can save the real reintro period for testing non compliant foods.

I'm doing the same thing, but I've done an elimination diet in the past and it takes more than a few days to clear something out of your system - ideally at least three weeks and maybe more. I'm counting down the days to my reintroduction of potatoes but I'm giving it four weeks before I try them, to be on the safe side (I reacted very badly to them after the original elimination diet, but that was years ago).

I was feeling very shaky for the first few weeks on W30 so I cut out a few suspects - I reintroduced coconut oil today (three weeks later) and the shakiness was back, so that was long enough to test. Hope it goes well for you!

Partway through this second whole 30 I suspected that white potatoes might be causing my body aches. (They weren't allowed on my first whole 30 and I didn't get any aches) I cut them out 4 days ago and feel great again. I have 9 days left on my whole 30 so I'm wondering if I should reintro them sometime in the next week to see if I react so I can save the real reintro period for testing non compliant foods.

I think this is a good idea. White potatoes are a nightshade and they are some of the worst offenders when it comes to aches. 

Have you tried eliminating the other nightshades? (tomatoes, eggplant, chiles, chile spices)

Paleo Mom talks about this here:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/the-whys-behind-autoimmune-protocol.html

Of all the foods restricted on the paleo diet autoimmune protocol, nightshades are the least likely to be reintroduced successfully. In fact, many people are sensitive to nightshades independent of illness or autoimmune issues.In my own experiences, two meals (on two consecutive days) containing a small amount of tomatoes nearly two months ago resulted in a massive lichen planus flare (it was also timed with some stressful life events, which I’m sure didn’t help). Two meals of tomatoes set me back months in my recovery. I am only in the last week or two starting to see some improvement to the new lesions that formed nearly overnight. While frustrating, I try and focus on the positive: I now know that tomatoes are not good for me. And avoiding them is worth it.

I just read a few of her posts and whoa, whoa, whoa... if I start worrying about eating whole 30, avoiding the foods I'm already severely intolerant of (eggs and flaxseed), cutting out the ones I don't digest well (nuts, coconut, ghee) AND worrying about tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and half the spices in my cupboard it feels like going down the rabbit hole into orthorexia... I'll test potatoes and see if that's the culprit, not just 'nightshades' in general. I continued to eat tomatoes daily, along with occasional peppers, eggplant and spices and didn't have a single pain or ache during my first whole 30 when the only nightshade eliminated was white potatoes so I'm pretty sure the other stuff is fine. 

Archived