Trader Joe's Coconut Cream

Minky

This is a new product in my TJ's store. Since otherwise they only carry light coconut milk, I was hoping it would be a winner.

Ingredients: Coconut extracted, sodium carboxy methyl cellulose, xanthan gum, water.

Should I save this til after my whole30?

• Moderators

There is much better product available. My Artisana brand coconut butter is 100 percent raw coconut. You can eat the TJ stuff, but the reason it's cheap is because its watered down and then pumped up with fillers.

I think technically it's okay...

I am right there with you on the budget/time thing - I get my coconut milk at Walmart (where I also find the natural olives my kiddos love). If you've got other stuff you need, too, a trip to the Evil Empire (or another regular grocery store) might be worth it. Look for it in the Asian foods aisle.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I buy the TJ's brand "lite" coconut milk to use for cooking and recipes because it doesn't really taste like coconut, but it doesn't have any crap in it. If I really want coconut milk, like to put on fruit, where I want to taste the coconut, I buy the full-fat organic no-BPA-lined canned stuff from the health food store for almost $3 a can.

I love TJ coconut cream. It does taste coconutty, but sometimes that's a good thing. I love it in my Earl Grey tea, and also my 365 rooibos orange vanilla tea. Or just by the spoonful. At my TJ it is $1.50 a can, which really helps when on a tight budget. I can't believe people actually buy coconut oil, coconut butter, or ghee. These are all way out of my price range.

• 1 month later...

I am personally trying to avoid all sulfites, so all those additives that seem to be in every brand of canned coconut milk are NO GOOD to me, especially since this is the main reason I'm doing Whole 30 (to detox, and identify a trigger for my eczema).

I found compliant coconut milk! Hawaiian Sun brand--it is in the FREEZER section, in a square bag. The ingredients are simply: coconut milk, water. That's all!

I was first alerted to it from reading a blog post at "Nom Nom Paleo" blog about frozen "fresh" coconut milks.

There is another brand, called "Profood Hawaii's Best" 100% PURE Coconut milk. The ingredients list is simply: coconut milk. YAY! No water, even! It is also in the FREEZER aisle. Both were available at my corner grocery! Of course, it's not fair, because I live in Hawaii. Still, if you're on the West Coast, maybe?

It may be a long shot to find it where you live, but good luck!

I love TJ coconut cream. It does taste coconutty, but sometimes that's a good thing. I love it in my Earl Grey tea, and also my 365 rooibos orange vanilla tea. Or just by the spoonful. At my TJ it is $1.50 a can, which really helps when on a tight budget. I can't believe people actually buy coconut oil, coconut butter, or ghee. These are all way out of my price range.

I didn't buy ghee. I bought the best butter I could and clarified it myself. That way I wasn't paying any more than I usually would (I've cooked in butter for years) but was still getting what I was supposed to have on a W30.

• 4 weeks later...

"What kind of coconut milk can use in my Whole 30 and buy in Walmart ?"

I second what Robin said. Gold star is great and the only ingredients are coconut and water. If your Walmart doesn't have it, fill out the little form the cashiers have and poof..it will appear. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Once you have opened a can of coconut milk, how long will it last refrigerated?

Mine usually lasts 4-6 days. It will taste a bit off if it has gone bad, but it won't smell off until it is a few more days along, so give it a taste before pouring it in your dish if you're getting closer to 6 days.

• 2 weeks later...

There is much better product available. My Artisana brand coconut butter is 100 percent raw coconut. You can eat the TJ stuff, but the reason it's cheap is because its watered down and then pumped up with fillers.

Where can I find your brand of coconut butter and do they make coconut milk and cream?

Does the cream melt when you put in it the coffee or do you blend it?

Don't forget Amazon as a resource for food.  We buy from Amazon all the time (not for food though!), so recently when I was having trouble finding compliant coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen brand), I checked Amazon.

I'd been paying almost $4/can locally...purchased a case (12 cans, so not a crazy amount) for $2/can, with free shipping.  Now I don't have to make an out of the way grocery stop to find AND I saved money.  Woot!

• Moderators

OK so the coconut milk in the can full fat is thick so to use this in my coffee will it melt or does it require blending?

Sometimes it gets thick.

If you stick it in the oven before opening (shake to determine if it is thick) at a low temp (200 maybe) for about 15 minutes that should help.

Otherwise, open, pour it in a blender and that should do it.

If you want you can use the thick stuff in your coffee and save the watery stuff for adding to soup, maybe, though it won't have a lot of "oomph" and is very thin.

Archived