Another Whole 30 for mangio_bene

mangio_bene

I'm starting another whole 30 tomorrow.  This will be my second whole 30 but I also did  a couple of mini whole something in between trips out of town prior to my recent vacation.  I will be focusing on food, sleep and exercise this time.  I went shopping last night and have a ton of veggies in the fridge.  We went to Costco and got organic chicken thighs and ground beef.   Next weekend  I'll go to my wonderful butcher for grassfed beef, free range chicken, properly fed pork and hopefully lamb (all locally raised).  My boyfriend will be out of town for work for most of my whole30 so he won't be doing it with me this time.

I have been compiling a bunch of ethnic recipes that I can adapt and make compliant as I find myself getting bored if I don't get enough variety.  I'm quite happy about the addition of white potatoes since I always thought it was a bit arbitrary though I will be limiting them to my breakfast hash.  Tonight I will be doing some bulk cooking for the next few days.

I am calling today Day 0 because I forgot about the no gum thing and chewed some today.  I also had a dinner to go to and didn't make very good choices from the menu.  So Day 1 will begin tomorrow instead.

Iced "Espresso" from Bialetti Stove Top Espresso Maker.  (My boyfriend broke my espresso machine :angry: )

M1: meat crusted quiche w/potatoes, onions & bacon, cucumber/tomato salad

M2: spicy meat balls w/mango dipping sauce, slaw w/homemade mayo

M3: bacon burger without the bun, lettuce & tomatoes

Not enough veggies or water today.

No exercise.

Seven hours of excellent sleep last night.  Didn't wake up even one time that I can recall.

Day 1

My original plans for dinner involved chicken, onions and cabbage but I was too tired to cook so I went simple.  I did cook the chicken so I will be able to make that dish tomorrow.

Iced "Espresso"

M2: spicy meat balls w/mango dipping sauce, slaw w/homemade mayo

M3: fried eggs, sauteed spinach

I was super busy at work today and didn't get enough water to drink.  About six glasses in total.

No exercise.

I had insomnia last night so only had about four hours of sleep.  I'm tired and will be going to bed early tonight.

Day 2

Iced "Espresso"

M2: spicy meat balls w/mango dipping sauce, sauteed spinach

M3: chicken, napa cabbage, onion, cilantro stir fry in sesame oil with toasted sesame seeds

Managed to drink eight glasses of water today.

No exercise again (too tired).

I ended up having insomnia again last night and had about five hours of sleep.  I hope I will be able to sleep tonight. 

post-43295-0-51697500-1410494286_thumb.j

Day 3

This is for yesterday. I liked the chicken I made on Day 2 but it was a little bland so I added some cumin and ginger and it was much better. 

Iced "Espresso"

M1: fried eggs, lemon cucumber/roma salad

M2: chicken, napa cabbage, onion, cilantro stir fry in sesame oil

M3: proscuitto, potato/onion mash

Drank about 10 glasses of water.

30 minutes on my treadmill (speed intervals)

Finally had a solid eight hours of sleep Thursday night.

Day 4

This is for yesterday. I used the last of the chicken and added some Red Boat fish sauce but thought the Day 3 version was the best of the three so that's how I'll make it in the future.  My meals were nearly the same as the prior day.  I was feeling lazy.

Iced "Espresso"

M1: fried eggs, sauteed spinach

M2: chicken, napa cabbage, onion, cilantro stir fry in sesame oil

M3: proscuitto, potato/onion mash

Drank about 8 glasses of water.

Went hiking with some friends.

Slept about nine hours Friday night.

Day 5

I made a Veal Saltimbocca using only veal, proscuitto, sage, ghee/olive oil mix and a little bit of chicken broth.  It turned out to be very tasty.  The roman style uses only veal, proscuitto, sage and butter so no olive oil or chicken broth.  I didn't  have toothpicks to hold everything together so I had to carefully brown them and then I steamed them a bit in the liquid.  I've eaten this many times in resaturants (though they usually use cheese such as fontina) but never tried to make it at home before and now that I see how easy it is I will be makign it again for sure.

For the zucchini, I sauteed onions with fennel seed and oregano, the added the zucchini and at the last minute added chopped tomatoes long enough to get them warm but not cooked as I hate cooked tomatoes (outside of sauce).  I was happy with the flavors. This week my CSA included melons and pears so I sauteed bok choy and pears in olive oil.  I added mint just long enough to wilt it and the dish was actually pretty good albeit a bit too sweet for my taste.  But I have more pears so I will need to try them in different ways.

Iced "Espresso"

M1: scrambled eggs, bokchoy/pear saute

M2: tuna w/homemade mayo with a huge salad

M3: saltimbocca (veal, proscuitto, sage), zucchini/onion/tomato sautee

Drank about 8 glasses of water.

No exercise.

Slept only about seven hours last night but that seemed to be all I needed.

post-43295-0-37882000-1410754984_thumb.j

post-43295-0-37071400-1410754985_thumb.j

Day 6

I think my mouth is burning up.  I roasted some poblanos that were in my CSA last week and filled them with a sausage mixture and ate them like tacos.  The heat is killing me.  I thought it was the poblanos because i know from past experience they can be mild or they can be hot.  But it turned out whatever i put in the sausge was hot which is odd because it was only paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic and onion.  They're good but if ever I could use some sour cream today is it.

Iced "Espresso"

M2: saltimbocca (veal, proscuitto, sage), zucchini/onion/tomato sautee

M3: poblano "tacos" filled with sausage mixture, salad

Drank only 6 glasses of water.

No exercise (too tired again)

Slept only four hours because of insomnia.  Funny how I have no problem sleeping over the weekend but during the week I do.  I am not sure why as I like my job ok and there's nothing particularly stressful going on there.

post-43295-0-74830000-1410837270_thumb.j

I've been super busy the last three days and not even had a chance to get online.

Day 7

Iced "Espresso"

M2: hash of leftover sausage mix from Day 6 and turnips, salad

M3: beef patty, mashed cauliflower, sauteed asparagas

Day 8

Iced "Espresso"

M2: beef patty, mashed cauliflower, sauteed asparagas

M3: beef patty, cabbage sauteed in sesame oil, sliced tomato

Day 9

Iced "Espresso"

M2: beef patty, mashed cauliflower, salad

M3: baked flounder, last of the cabbage, sliced tomato

Tried to drink plenty of water each day.  My sleep seems to alternate a lot with one day of only four hours and the next day of seven.  I would really like to find a consistent 7-8 hours but it seems elusive.  Working a lot and unfortunately haven't had time for exercise.  This weekend I will make an effort to be active.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived