Impending Death of Sugar Dragon... or just impending death??

Petunia

Its the end of Day One.  I didnt fail.  Go me.  But I'm feeding my sugar dragon alot of eggs...and he aint happy.  

I've been paleo for a while with one large exception-sugar.  My sugar dragon eats stevia on, well, everything... and "bars": Larabars, Questbars, Clif Bars, PRbars, Rxbars, XYZbars...mostly after meals (all of them) and late at night, like any good little sugar dragon.  So I decided during my whole 30 there would be no bars of any kind, and obviously no stevia.

So today I fed him fat instead of bars (except once when I gave him a banana), a TON of fat.  We're talking easily 200+ grams.  I ended up eating 6 total good sized meals, and I am not a large person that needs to eat this much.  But it's the only way I could get him to stop bugging me.  If I can kick my sugar addiction I'll count my whole30 as a success no matter what, but my question is:  Is it common to have to eat this much to stop the sugar dragon?  If so, is it just during the initial period?   At this rate, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get super fat during my whole30.

Anybody else dealing with this, or better yet, know how to fix it?

You can measure fat by thumb size (or larger), but don't bother with grams.  Seriously. 

Eat six meals a day if you need to.

If you're not hungry but trying to break a habit, there are other things you can do besides eating (bath, knit, run, walk the dog, meditate, sing, dance, etc).

But I'm willing to bet you're hungry.

Eat up, and no more grams.  Sugar dragons are noisy but you'll be fine.  Hang in there.

My way to fix it is to stop substituting foods.  If I have a sugar craving, I recognize it and walk away from the kitchen with a thermos of hot water or herbal tea to drink. This is not easy, cravings are an internal pain that no one can see and my habit is to feed the dragon, but the cravings do pass, and they get less frequent and less painful over time.  Each time I work through one, I have a small sense of accomplishment and the next one is easier.

I find that if I substitute other foods for my sugar craving, it just upsets my food balance in other ways and that becomes one more issue I have to deal with later. Water and tea consumption are pretty unlimited for me, so that's my coping tool for cravings.

Thanks guys.  Good news is I didn't actually measure the grams of fat, I was just using it as a way to express that I ate more than I should have.  I tried reading instead of eating, but that didn't work.  I like the idea of singing and dancing instead of eating.  I'm gonna try that.  Then if it doesn't go away after the performance, maybe I'm just hungry and I'll eat.  Looks like It's dance party time.    :D

Archived