Did I Mess Up TOO Bad?

zephyr86

I started my Whole30 today, and I was doing pretty good (skipped lunch, because I fell asleep, but otherwise, I did well)...until this evening, where I took a bottle of water and put a tiny splash of lemon juice in it. I drank 1/2 the bottle before I checked the ingredients in the lemon juice. Who puts SULFITES in lemon juice!? Do I have to start over, now? :(

• Moderators

They put sulfites in lemon juice as a preservative to give it a longer shelf life. The sulfites negatively impact your gut health, but the lemon juice lasts a year longer than it otherwise would. Most people value keeping a bottle of lemon juice in their refrigerator for a year more than they do their gut health. :)

NO, NO, NO - please say I don't have to start over. I'm on Day 9 and I didn't even think about looking at the damn Real Lemon Lemon Juice.  I've only used it to make my homemade mayo (2 tbs) so I'm not getting a huge amount of it, so I'll go on, but that really sucks and it also really reinforces the need to really read every single label and not take anything for granted.

Archived