Day 9 and I feel really terrible. Keep going?

Today is Day 9 and I still feel truly rotten... I've had a headache for 7 days, I'm dizzy, I have brain fog, I am exhausted and I'm short-tempered to the point of it being ridiculous .. my coworkers are all asking if they can come into my office before they walk in. Even my husband has volunteered to sleep in the guest bedroom. My stomach is upset ... like my stomach acids are out of whack too. Yesterday I had diarrhea and today I can't go at all.

I'm shocked by what my body is going through and I keep questioning if I should continue. I'm drinking at least 3 liters of water a day and eating enough salt. Just dumbfounded and overwhelmed by all of this. :-(

Okay big question:  What are you eating?  Are you able to post a couple of days worth of meals here?  It will help us troubleshoot.

Are you low carbing your whole 30?  Meaning are you purposely (or accidentally) not including starchy veggies with your meals?  Starchy veggies will make a word of difference sometimes.

I haven't kept a food log and I've eaten some starchy vegetables but not everyday. I'm trying to recall a few menus for the day: Yesterday's breakfast was a one cup of berries, one banana, and some whole fat canned coconut milk and gelatin chia seed pudding. Lunch was a huge green salad with chicken, eggs, carrots, red peppers, pineapple (about a tablespoon), tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar. I also ate some dehydrated seed "crust/crackers". Dinner was Paleo meatballs, homemade sauce over 6 cups of steamed kale. I had a few handfuls of macadamia nuts around 5:00. I ate too many nuts on Sunday and had a stomachache for most of the day, which caused me to under-eat, although I had potato hash and eggs fried in lard for dinner. Today will pretty much be the same exact thing as yesterday.  

Okay - have you read the meal template?  Find it here: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Basically your meal one is very fruit heavy.  No wonder you are having issues.  You should have a palm sized protein (if it's eggs then it should be the number of eggs that can fit in 1 hand) and minimum of 1 cup of veg.  Fruit should not be pushing vegetables off of your plate.  Try to limit your fruit to be later on in the day.  I find if you eat it earlier on your body will crash (kind of what it's doing now) and you will have a difficult time becoming fat adapted.

Also leave the seed crackers alone.  They are considered to be a "techincally compliant but doing nothing to fix your relationship with food" type of thing.  We call this : Having sex with your pants on or SWYPO.  It's the reason why pancakes, and paleo bread are out. 

Also keep in mind that nuts although compliant are not the best fat source.  They cause a lot of bloating, digestive distress for many.  (I am one of them)

Also make sure you have sufficient fat sources with all your meals.

I just want to repeat that starting your day out with fruit is one of the worst choices you can make for your blood sugar for the rest of the day.  

Print the meal template -- and follow it -- for success with this program.  It tends to work out much better that way.  ;)  Your day should be looking like 3-4 meals per day, with protein + fat + veggie at each one -- and really, no exceptions.  If you need a snack, make it a "mini-meal".  Hard-boiled egg, homemade mayo, a few raw carrots = simple mini-meal example.  Fruit, nuts, and seeds are optional -- but protein, fat, veggies are not.  

Many people find that nuts and seeds cause digestive distress AND that they are way too easy to overeat (as you experienced on Sunday).  For those reasons, sometimes it is just best to avoid them.

Here is a thread of a woman who recently had a bit of a rough start -- but she followed the advice of folks here on the forum, and she made a HUGE turn-around.  I am so glad she stuck with it all the way through -- and so was she!  

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20862-day-1/

What great information..  While I am eating compliant and full plates at each meal, I am also starting my day off having a fruit and for the last few days, I've been really tired and sluggish. For some reason I thought fruit was okay to have with Meal 1 and 2, but not after.  I usually eat grapes or berries at both meals, so I'll try to cut it down to just one.  I've switched to apples instead of grapes though just because they are such a high sugar source.   Since this is my first Whole 30, things are a little overwhelming and I get a little confused as to what to do, so I am really glad to have read this. 

Today is day 12 and I'm feeling soooo much better. Thanks for all the feedback; I cut out the fruit, added a sweet potato/sausage/zucchini/egg breakfast casserole and it turned my Whole30 around. Still struggling with not needing two mini meals ... one around 4:30 and another a few hours after dinner. Suggestions? And thanks again for the invaluable feedback!

Momma2monkeys I found that by eating the appropriate amount of fat at each meal really helped in not snacking in between. I never really had much of a liking for avocado but my word they are the business now!! Love them! An excellent fat source :-) Also , coconut flakes. I have found that coconut flakes gives a lovely taste to almost anything I eat it with my favourite being cucumber at the moment! Eat enough fat and you won't need to snack at all. Nuts are a fat source but they do cause digestive issues. Also I think we have to be careful with the nuts due to the omega 3/6 balance thingy! Best of luck and congrats for pushing through :-)

Archived