The tea trick really works. Take that, sugar dragon!

A couple days ago I had a crazy craving for something sweet after dinner. Crazy craving. I have a sugar dragon BIG TIME and I hadn't truly been addressing it. Normally I eat fruit to stop its whining, but this night I decided to brew a cup of hot tea and wait it out.

Hot herbal tea to stop a sugar craving is not a new trick. I've seen it on every diet I've ever been on: Clean Eating, Weight Watchers, Sparkpeople (where I discovered paleo and Whole30 through other members!) and it's been included as a Whole30 strategy for starving that sugar dragon and changing the dessert habit. I never really bought into it, for no real reason. I simply never tried it.

Well, I tried it, and by Jove, it works. I've made a habit over the last few days to make a cup after lunch (green or black) and dinner (herbal) and it has made a world of difference. It's a great palate cleanse, and I feel so much more relaxed after my meals. I can't believe it took me this long to embrace such a rejuvenating practice.

If you're still having trouble starving out the sugar dragon, give the good ol' tea trick a shot. Seriously. You will be so glad you did.

I have found that even if I drink a big mug full of hot water, it shuts up my Sugar Dragon.  Crazy, eh?  My local stores have stopped carrying Oolong tea.  :angry:   Desperate times (battling with the Sugar Dragon) call for desperate measures (hot water, no tea).  :D

• Administrators

I love tea in the fall and winter but strangely I have never had it after dinner. I'll try that tonight!

One thing that I have found that seems to be killing off the Sugar Dragon rapidly is bone broth.  If I have some going I just ladle some into a mug and drink it, otherwise I'll reheat a frozen one.  So the sugar dragon is muffled and I'm healing my gut and my hair and nails are gangbusters!

Tea is the business! Green tea I have fallen in love with. I find it especially lovely after a meal. Then a nice cup in the evening relaxing too is very soothing and comforting like a big hug! :-)

Yes, K.W. and Tanya.   It's the best, I drink all kinds.  I sprinkle spices into mine.  I like pumpkin pie and garam masala spice.

I discovered the tea trick my first whole 30 as well, I couldn't use it until a few days ago on this one because it was SO hot outside, but now that I can have it again it's great. I'll have to find a hot weather trick too. Frozen something I suppose..

• 2 months later...

I love tea in the fall and winter but strangely I have never had it after dinner. I'll try that tonight!

One thing that I have found that seems to be killing off the Sugar Dragon rapidly is bone broth.  If I have some going I just ladle some into a mug and drink it, otherwise I'll reheat a frozen one.  So the sugar dragon is muffled and I'm healing my gut and my hair and nails are gangbusters!

Never thought to try bone broth after a meal!  I've been making a ton and freezing it for meals.  Occasionally I remember to bring some along with me to work and had it with my first meal.  Makes sense to enjoy it after a meal to ward off sugar cravings.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

You should see my cupboard...it contains rooibos tea, peppermint tea (can't live without it!!), camomile and spiced apple tea, ginger tea, normal tea, coffee.....

Archived