What gives?

Ltatarian

This is my very first forum post, so I'm hoping I can find some answers here...

I am here because I just completed my second whole30 and lost 1lb.

Background story....

Jan 2013 I went grain free for about 2 weeks prior to discovering whole30 and starting my first one. I lost about 15 pounds in about 6 weeks of whole30 and paleo-ish lifestyle with minimal exercise and no health concerns. I have slowly put the weight back on and am usually around 168-174lbs, 5'5", 23 yr. old female. So needless to say, I don't understand why my weight hasn't budged. I got blood work done about a year ago with no significant results that may affect weight loss. I am sleeping ok, I have ok energy, I don't have any digestive issues as far as I am aware.

Here is a sample of what I've been eating:

Breakfast:

Coffee with 2-3 tbs coconut milk

2-3 scrambled eggs in ghee & a side salad or veg/sausage hash on the side

Lunch:

Big salad topped with 1 can tuna salad made with homemade mayo

Dinner:

Ground beef chili filled with veggies topped w/ half avocado

I have stayed completely away from nuts, no snacking, as far as fruit I had 2 apples within the entire 30 days, and a total of maybe 1.5 sweet potato the entire time. I drink quite a bit of water, at least 64 ounces each day. I also did not do any physical activity outside my daily routine. I am my feet 8 hrs a day all day at work.

I know I need to lose weight but not sure where the disconnect is for my body. What gives?

• Moderators

I would expect you to lose weight eating the way you report. It would be better if you drank more water - 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight per day. You say you sleep okay, but if you are not losing weight, I would encourage you to target getting 9 hours of sleep per night. But I would expect you to lose weight anyway. 

It is especially curious that you lost weight during one Whole30 and did not lose weight starting from a similar level on a second Whole30 while eating the same way.

It sounds as if you have been low carb, maybe very low carb. While going low carb is a favorite approach of many to weight loss, it does not always work. If you had not lost weight during your first Whole30, I would focus on the low carb issue and encourage you to eat more starchy veggies and maybe a serving of fruit per day. However, the same basic approach worked in one Whole30 and not in another. 

I am puzzled. You might seriously want to poke around the Whole9/Whole30 websites to find the contact info for consulting services and start work with one of the Hartwigs or the other consultants on the team to get to the bottom of things. 

Archived