Fed Up!

widget

I saw this documentary last year. We don't keep processed foods and sweets in our house but it's bad enough how much they are being fed at their grandma's house, at parties and at school. I can't imagine the kids who are getting it for 3 meals a day plus snacks at home too. I feel guilty sometimes that I still feed my kids rice and natural peanut butter, when my friends and neighbors are feeding their kids pop tarts, mr freezies and soda!

The only thing we can do is lead by example. I share healthy snack and meal recipes and ideas with friends and sometimes they use them. I don't tell them they are slowly killing their kids because people don't want to hear that. But if you post pictures of your fun healthy snacks and lunches on facebook people will emulate them a lot. Mothers are so competitive and seem to feel the need to keep up with the latest trends, and the latest trends are changing for the better.....

• 3 weeks later...

I teach young kids and their lunches are awful, it's almost entirely sugar and processed junk.

I watched a mom let her <1 year old baby drink from her can of Coke tonight at a school BBQ. I was floored!

We saw Fed Up last weekend and loved it. I struggle with feeding my kids, and the guilt that goes with both letting them have treats and not letting them have treats at other times. My nine year old says I'm mean for not filling her lunchbag with junk. But I know she'll thank me one day.

I watched a mom let her <1 year old baby drink from her can of Coke tonight at a school BBQ. I was floored!

We saw Fed Up last weekend and loved it. I struggle with feeding my kids, and the guilt that goes with both letting them have treats and not letting them have treats at other times. My nine year old says I'm mean for not filling her lunchbag with junk. But I know she'll thank me one day.

Ha, the school I work at had its bbq tonight, I wonder if it was the same one :P It certainly sounds like the same parents who packed the lunches I saw today. 

I feel guilty that I send my daughter with rice and beans with mixed veggies and fruit because she's massively picky right now. But then I see the rice crispee squares, cookies, gogurt, 'fruit' gummies, juice, 'cheez' n crackers, and caramel covered rice cakes that make up other kids lunch boxes and think rice and beans for a skinny 5 year old aren't such a terrible thing. At least she eats paleo at dinner....

I watched this last week and it made me so very sad. those children made me so frustrated and the school meal meal bit floored me ;(

I too have wanted to scream at labels, this week it was "100%" beef burgers with sugar and wheat flour on the label (so not 100% beef then...huh?)

I know a "school lunch lady".   She's a good one and an excellent chef/cook.  She tries so hard to make healthy lunches for the kids but is limited by the food delivery and school protocols.   She's in charge, but not really.   She can't stand putting out that food...but here's the real kicker.  They've added more fruits and vegetables and they're dumped in the trash every single day by the kids.  The good food is thrown.   Might as well take them to the city dump and let them forage....they've grown accustomed to pop tarts, chips, and soda pop.   

Food education begins at home.

This was an excellent documentary. But, it is very frightening and sad. It makes me want to work extra hard at helping my kids understand the foods they put into their bodies so they can make informed decisions about their diets. Even to the extent of understanding how food industry actually bring scientists in to formulate their food to hit our brains hard. Just disgusting, and shameful how that's even legal. So, food companies are allowed to try to make their food addictive...

On that note, I really like the parallel between tobacco and food products that was made.

We were at a birthday party today and there were several babies just over the age one, of course all with their sippy cups. The babies were shuffling them, and most of the moms were like, "(name), don't drink that, it's not yours!" While I had to be very on top of it because all the other sippy cups had Kool Aid in them. Seriously, blue sugar water they were just letting these babies drink. My poor son was crying the whole drive home because he did end up drinking out of a couple of them before I got to him.  :( It is frightening how o.k. parents are with just giving sugar to their kids all day long. 

You know, on the topic of what kids eat, feeding them correctly, etc., I wonder if there's a balance between top health and the indulgence of childhood? My mother was SUPER strict with our food choices when I was a kid, and once I was no longer under her roof, I completely rebelled. I ate the crappest of crap both behind her back then, and for most of my young adulthood. Eventually the early childhood education in nutrition she gave me caught up, and I returned to it later in life (when my body demanded it). But part of me wonders if I would have stayed more consistent if I hadn't felt so repressed as a kid. I don't have kids now, so I can't speak to how I'd manage that balance.

I think it depends on the kid.  I have a cousin who is healthy by-the-book with her kids at home.   They go over to their grandmother's house and tell her what's what.   Grandmother, we don't eat this or that.   When she takes them to the fast food joints....we don't eat this and we never eat hamburgers out.  Grandma has to make or buy a veggie tray with other good things.  They've taught her a thing or two.  They could go on a junk bender later on, you never know.

At home we only eat good real food because that's what I cook. When we go to parties and such we are more lenient with treats and food choices (like cake). The kids are all for the sweet treats on special occasions, but because we only eat real food at home, they refuse to eat 'junk meat' like chicken nuggets, hot dogs and hamburgers when people offer it to them outside the home. They find it disgusting.

• 3 weeks later...

I am with LisaLuLu, we eat healthy, real food every day at home. When the kids are invited to birthday parties they partake in the cake and the candy.

But I draw the line at lemonade and soda. We do not drink that. My kids knows this. I can count the times my 6 year old has tasted soda on one hand. We drink sparkling water, on very special occasions we add a little OJ to "make a drink" as my kids say. My sister serve lemonade with evey meal. Every meal! Her kids never drink water!

It's ok, she says, it is sugarfree. Yes, because it is sweetened with aspartame. :(

I just think it is so important to not teach our kids that everything we eat and drink has to taste sweet. When not even water is good enough, it worries me...

I need to see if I can find that documentary somewhere online. Does anyone know if it is available outside the US?

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'm new here and researching and learning before I begin my 30. I found this thread by searching "sparkling water". Is sparkling water allowed (i.e. La Croix or plain Perrier) given there is no sugar? 

Myself and our children don't drink sodas and 1/2 water/ 1/2 lemonade are only for occasions when we eat out. I agree it's nuts how many children and adults I know who won't drink water at all! 

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Sara May said:

Is sparkling water allowed (i.e. La Croix or plain Perrier) given there is no sugar? 

If the ingredients on your item are compliant, the item is compliant (w/ exception of any baked or bread-recreation type foods). Have you looked at the ingredients on the items you're inquiring about?  

On 10/19/2017 at 11:39 AM, Sara May said:

Hi, I'm new here and researching and learning before I begin my 30. I found this thread by searching "sparkling water". Is sparkling water allowed (i.e. La Croix or plain Perrier) given there is no sugar? 

Myself and our children don't drink sodas and 1/2 water/ 1/2 lemonade are only for occasions when we eat out. I agree it's nuts how many children and adults I know who won't drink water at all! 

I had a few Whole 30 fails (by not reading labels enough) so have gotten pretty diligent.  La Croix is DEFINITELY compliant.  I loathe Perrier so can't help with that, but I suspect it's compliant.  My biggest lesson during my first whole 30?  Do not EVER assume something does not have sugar in it.  Read EVERY label...  and Whole 30 is totally worth it...

• 9 months later...

We drink gallons of seltzer/carbonated water, so I was worried when I saw this headline ("Is Seltzer Harming Your Teeth?), but as the article says, although it's not clear how much it may actually harm enamel, it's definitely way better than soda and other sugary or acidic drinks. The tips at the end of the article are helpful: e.g., don't brush right after drinking seltzer, and try not to drink too much of it without food. We're not giving it up!

Archived