Starting Monday, Sept 15, 2014

ThisDogNNT

First Timer here, starting Monday. Who's WITH ME?

Prep, Prep, Prep

• Get desperate about feeling unhealthy, being sick, and relying on medication - CHECK
  • Discover Whole30 Program - CHECK
  • Read and research Whole30 theory [consult referenced peer-reviewed papers, consult own experience, consult biology background, consult common sense] - CHECK
  • Agree with Whole30 Program - CHECK
  • Feel stupid for not finding Whole30 earlier - check
  • Read Rules [Denial], Re-Read Rules [Anger + Fear + Doubt], Read Rules AGAIN [Acceptance] - CHECK
  • Attempt to enlist family - FAIL
  • Doing it anyway - CHECK
  • Find Whole30 Recipies - CHECK
  • Realize I have virtually none of the wholesome real-food ingredients needed, plan shopping, raid savings account - CHECK, CHECK, CHECK
  • Goes Shopping - PENDING
  • Plan "Whole30 Binge Party" - CHECK
  • Have "Whole30 Binge Party" on Sunday, Sept. 14th 2014 - PENDING

Start Whole30

???????????????????? <GULP> ??????????????????????????

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! Good for us is right!!! Second time around ... a seasoned pro. Any advice for an intrepid first-timer is always welcomed!

You know I had the same thought about stretching a bit further than 30 days. I have so much to let my body recover from, it could probably use some extra reset time. But right now 30 days seems like a loooong time. :-)

I would love to join the two of you on Monday, 9/15/14. It will be my second time also. As with pennylane14, I over indulged with the reintroduction of food groups. This really is a change of lifestyle not a diet. Sometimes it takes longer than 30 days to make that change. It truly is amazing how good you are going to feel once you start eating right. I feel terrible at the moment and I am looking forward to going back on the program. Best of luck to the 3 of us. :D

Hi! I'd love to start on Monday as well, but I'm new and I need a food plan.  I can't do this with just a shopping list.  I need a plan that looks like: Breakfast (eat this) etc.  Do you know what I mean?  I just started a new job, I've got an extremely busy schedule.  I could use some help with what to eat for the first 30 days that looks like recipes or exactly what to eat.  Can you help me with that?

Thanks!

J.

I could use some help with what to eat for the first 30 days that looks like recipes or exactly what to eat.  Can you help me with that?

jularoons, While I haven't tried it, I did find this pretty interesting and might be fit for you given your busy schedule.

http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html

All 30 days (or almost anyway) made in large batches, once a week, and frozen for quick re-heats. Take a look and, if you try it, report back at let us know how it worked!

I would love to start with you all on Monday. This is my second attempt. I am not sure what happened as I was going along so well and was feeling terrific. Then fell back into my old habits. Hoping that having some comrade ride will make the difference!

I am finishing my first Whole30 on Tuesday Sept. 16, but I would like to extend it.  I had excellent results but just don't feel finished yet.  Plus my 24 year old son just finished week one and I think he needs the support.  Sooooo, I would like to join you too, please.  I think I may need extra support for the extension, because well, I already finished the 30.  I am not tired or or burnt out or anything though.  I loved it!  

My goals were:

Get healthy (I traveled a lot this summer and ate and drank everything!)

Be FREE from control by cravings 

Lose a few lbs.

I accomplished both 1 & 2!

I have not weighed this whole time,  I will post weight loss Wednesday morning.

I will say I feel AMAZING!  FREEDOM from control by food is huge for me.  Better energy, mental focus memory.  I am a cyclist, my knees don't hurt any more, and after the first 2 weeks, I had more stamina on the bike.  In fact, I have steady energy all day long, even after dinner when I would normally have a big slump.  My skin looks clear, bags under eyes are gone.  I feel so happy.  No anxiety or moodiness.  Sleeping through the night, no ambien.  That is a big change too.

Secrets to success:

Support system:  I signed up for the daily emails, had some partners doing  this with me.  Loved the online community

Bought 3 GREAT cook books:  Well Fed 1 & 2, NomNom Paleo

Every weekend I would pick out recipes, buy tons of veg, meat, and some fruit, and pre cook a bit.  The pressure cooker and crockpot were my friends!

We ate better than ever.  I loved it!!!

Treats:  Kombucha, I like Synergy brand,

Coconut water and Larabars on big bike rides

Decaf with steamed canned full fat coconut milk after dinner 

OK I guess I'm in for another 30

Happy eating,

April

I am also starting on Monday the 15th, and am really excited! The only reason I am not starting today is that today is the local yearly "Best of" restaurant food/beer/wine festival downtown, and since I already had a ticket I decided to have one last hurrah with friends today before I buckle down tomorrow.

I went grocery shopping yesterday with the list in hand and feel very prepared with all the things I need. Reading labels in stores was eye-opening (took three stores to find all of the things I wanted), but ended up sticking with a majority of fresh produce and fresh meats which helped. Also made a point of starting at the Saturday farmer's market before I hit the grocery stores, so my eggs are local and fresh, my almond butter is pure almonds that were grown about two miles from my house, etc. I am fortunate to live in a rural area, which is going to help immensely in finding good local stuff!  Since I love to cook, I am eagerly anticipating experimenting with new ways to add flavor to dishes (such as using the amazing Whole30 compliant fire-roasted tomatoes I found).  

Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow!

You guys will love it. Today is my fifth day. I feel a ton less bloated, more energized, and the best part almost no cravings. I've had a few...but nothing worth ruining all the hard work. Day one and two were probably the hardest. Once you start to feel better...I feel like, that is what you'll crave, at least for me it is.

Best of luck to those starting tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my third Whole30 tomorrow (I did one in January and one in May of this year). I'm feeling good about the cooking and shopping because I feel like I have had a lot of practice with that. I'm already feeling nervous and anxious about my (in)ability to make this way of eating a more permanent fixture in my life, even though I have seen - twice! - how transformational it can be for me. I struggle a lot with the psychological aspects of eating and food. This time, I am going to try and focus on the joy of food and treating my body well. 

Very best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!  I'm starting my Whole30 challenge tomorrow (Monday 15 SEP), I'm nervous and excited but all in all looking forward to putting in the hard work for the rewards and payoff at the end!  I appreciate any insight or tips you all may have from those that are veterans at this.  Thanks!  

Hi! I'd love to start on Monday as well, but I'm new and I need a food plan.  I can't do this with just a shopping list.  I need a plan that looks like: Breakfast (eat this) etc.  Do you know what I mean?  I just started a new job, I've got an extremely busy schedule.  I could use some help with what to eat for the first 30 days that looks like recipes or exactly what to eat.  Can you help me with that?

Thanks!

J.

You might take a look at these links:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/04/whole30-2014-week-2-food-plan/

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/11/whole30-2014-week-3-food-plan/

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/20/whole30-2014-week-4-food-plan/

You can follow this exactly, or with modifications, or just read it over for inspiration and make your own version.

Starting tomorrow too.  Just finished my first one on August 30th.  I already need to attack the sugar dragon again.  Apparently he wasn't completely dead yet.  But I will say this, I am at a way better place to start this time then the last time.  Whole30 has truly changed my life and all of my family has benefited too.  Let's do this!!!

I am also starting Sep. 15th.  I joined this discussion form to get some others to motivate me and to stay on track.  I do pretty well normally sticking to a diet, however my weakness is sugar and wine.  I am not going to lie, going 30 days without an occasional glass of red wine will be difficult.  I am in graduate school and the stress alone will drive me to drink!  I know many people who have been successful and I just want to have the support to make it the entire 30 days.  Looking forward to feeling less bloated and improving my workouts at the gym!  Here is to the next 30 days!  Oh, and I also spent the weekend having some of my favorite foods.   :D

I am starting again on Monday the 15th as well.  My mom and I are doing it together.  I eat Paleo now am wanting to tighten up and accomplish the following:

--get out of the sugar zone-no Stevia and no treats!

--no counting calories--I keep a food log for my trainer but he does not require me to put any numbers, just what I ate so that's fine with me

--building better meals--no small snack sized meals  but eating actual meals rather than grabbing at things here and there

--better timing with meals especially post w/o--I am horrible about not eating for hours after Crossfit or intervals, etc. 

--use these 30 days to get the crap snacks that my kids eat out of the house for good!!!!  

We can do this!!  I actually started a separate instagram account just for this whole 30 to keep me accountable.  Even if no one follows I will know those pictures are on there for everyone to see!  

Best of luck to you all!!!  Have a great 30 days and beyond!  

Amazed that there are so many of us starting today (I feel like the first of the month is the "cool kids" time to start, haha). My goals for this time around are:

--no larabars or nuts, I relied on them too much last time and they aren't really the healthy thing to eat/fed the sugar dragon/encouraged snacking

--listening to my body and eating when hungry. Last time I feel like I utilized my "emergency snack" when I was really just bored or stressed and not really in need of actual food. 

--slaying the sugar dragon. Man oh man, he's a resilient one. 

--slim down. I feel like I've put on some unhealthy flab (real talk!) even though my weight hasn't changed, which has reinforced that the scale isn't the end-all, be-all for health. 

Anyone feel like sharing their meal plan for today? I love finding new and easy recipes that make lots of servings. 

I started today as well!

I woke up and went walking. 1.53 miles' go me!

And I made a spinach chicken and cucumber omelette. I'm so excited to try a real meal for dinner and love the daily emails already as day 1 gave me more hope that I could do this! Wishing you all the best in the days to come

Hi all, re-starting my second attempt at a Whole 30 today. Man! It has been hard to get back on the Whole 30 train this go around. But, considering some of the issues I had over the weekend it was a rude awakening that in order to keep feeling as great as I did at the end of my first Whole 30 I have got to DO THIS! I am super excited to see such a great mix of first timers and folks that have done this once or twice before. Hopefully with such a great mix we can keep each other going.

Like the idea of sharing meal plans! I find when I am not feeling too inspired on what to fix I can often find ideas from what others have.  I have an egg intolerance, so, most of my meals (especially breakfast) avoid eggs.

Meal 1: Roasted potatoes, ground beef and onion as a "one pot" cooked with olive oil and seasonings. Olives and Cantaloupe on the side. 

Meal 2: Spinach salad with diced chicken breast, cherry tomatoes and carrots with olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. Banana and cashews on the side. 

Meal 3: Grilled chicken, grilled veggies (zucchini and mushrooms with some olive oil and S&P) and probably another salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Can't wait to get to know everyone!!

Archived