Starting Monday, Sept 15, 2014

ThisDogNNT

Oh I am very excited to hear everyone starting today!  This will help to get me through this!  Been trying to get the hubby, but he does not want to give up his beer on Sunday Football.  UGH MEN!  Anywho just kidding….I agree this is going to be very difficult.  So far I started my day with:

3 eggs, turkey sausage and spinach.  

Snack- a fresh pear

Lunch- currently cooking whole 30 approved chili.  Smells great and can't wait to eat it.

Dinner- crockpot cooking up a roast and carrots.  Will have a side of fresh organic potatoes as well.  NO butter milk ect.  Just salt and pepper.  

Also, to the girl who posted about starting an instagram account, what is your user name.  I would like to follow.  Fun to share ideas. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LTaylor, I'd love to hear your non-egg recipes! I'm trying to keep variety alive for my meals, so non-egg breakfasts are of particular interest!

Here's my meal plan for the day:

Meal 1: tomato and spinach frittata, roasted asparagus, 1/2 avocado

Meal 2: Balsamic Chicken and sausage, baby carrots, wholly guacamole 100 calorie pack

Meal 3: Paleo chili, shaved brussels sprouts

Day one down! Well, almost.  :)

I woke up feeling very sick to my stomach this morning. Something to do with the large amount of pizza I ate last night?  :huh: Anyways, it meant my breakfast was smaller than usual, but I'm glad I managed to get something down. 

Meal 1: one egg fried in coconut oil and unsweetened apple sauce

Meal 2: homemade Thai chicken vegetable soup, plus an apple and some nuts

[snack: Mango kombucha drink]

Meal 3: lamb sausages with cauliflower rice (I used the recipe in Well Fed)

I hope that everyone else's first day went wonderfully! 

Day One was a success! We had some crazy family stuff that happened, so, the dinner I had planned didn't happen. Thankfully, I had premade some chicken veggie soup over the weekend that was in the fridge.  So, just warmed that up and dinner was ready!  Prepping saves me all the time!  

Tonight will be a crazy night of running my kiddos around. Since my original meal last night didn't work out I took the time to prep the veggies for tonight, so, should just mean zapping some sweet potatoes and plopping some veggies on a tray to roast before we have to run out the door. 

How did Day 1 go for everyone else?

Meal plan for today:

Meal 1: left over steak diced in a one pot with a cup of potatoes and onions, olive oil and melon chunks

Meal 2: Spinach chicken salad with peppers, tomatoes, olives, oil & vinegar dressing. Banana and Cashews.

Meal 3: Prepped grilled chicken, roasted broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil and baked sweet potatoes.

Fastd - I keep meaning to try cauliflower rice. It looks interesting. Just wondering about the texture. So far the only way I can eat cauliflower is raw or roasted. Everything else just hasn't tasted right.  Hope you woke up feeling better today!

Ok how is everyone doing after day 1.  My husband did notice that i was a bit short with him later in the day after dinner.  Must be because I did not have my glass of wine.  I know this will get easier but will probably get harder first.  Bring it on I'm ready.  My poor husband.  he is not doing this with me but will eat the food I prepare when he is hungry.  He will still be drinking his glass of wine in the evenings so I need to make sure I don't steel any sips which is what I have done in the past on diets.  I am glad that they make you start over if you slip up even once.  This will keep me honest and I love a challenge. Hope everyone continues to post on this site. 

I did alright on day one, I'm used to snacking though and not so used to so much protein and nutrients, I think my stomach is having a hard time getting used to digesting it because my stomach rumbled all night on my drive home from my boyfriend's. Best sucess of the day was making Whole 30 compliant meatloaf that my boyfriend loved topped with our homemade bbq sauce. Day 2 is alright so far, I still feel very famished after an early breakfast though and can't fathom eating any meat for lunch at this point so I may just stick with some almond butter and apples and maybe some chicken broth with cooked carrots... I think that sounds easier to digest. I've just never been able to digest meat easily so this is especially hard for me... hopefully my body will learn to accept this new diet soon but I know it'll probably feel worse before it gets better! Oh my.... I can't wait for this to pass!

Cyndi Lou - it will get better. Hopefully it gets better faster for you than it did for me my first round! I still am not sure how my family or I survived that round. It was really tough. No one else in my family did this with me. Though, they were all super supportive of me sticking to my guns (often times while eating pizza or chinese!) and when we ate at home they ate the meal I prepared which 99% of the time was only stuff I could have. I figure if I am going to take the time to cook after working all day they have two choices: 1) eat what I fix as the meal or 2) fix their additional items for themselves. Kind of hard nosed and stubborn, I really didn't intend to structure it that way - it just sort of happened. They all got really good at heading stuff off before it was offered to me. I have to say, as embarrassing as it can be to have my 9 year old say "oh...mom can't have that...she doesn't eat sugar or anything processed anymore" it also makes me smile that they get it and are trying to help where they can.

Stargazer93 - I feel you on the protein throwing you for a loop. I switched to Whole30 after trying to live plant based for a long time. It took some adjusting for sure.  It is a little rough to get used to the three meals and their structure.  I used to pack breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch and a mid afternoon snack. Basically eating every few hours. I switched to eating meal one at home before work and only have to pack lunch for the day. It became really freeing to me to only have to think about getting together that one meal to take with me.The first couple of weeks are the hardest.  Hang in there.

Sitting here right before lunch with a plastic container of store bought cookies sitting right outside my cube in the hallway. Now, they are store bought and certainly would not taste very good - I know that. Even between Whole30's I didn't waste any off roading on store bought stuff. If I was going to off road it was going to be on some home made from scratch goodness. BUT, the smell of the cookies is overpowering. How can cookies be that potent??  I remember this from my first round where I could smell things from a mile away. Lunch in half an hour. Think I am going to guzzle some water and distract myself with a bunch of work until then!

Yay for day 1 being in the bag! I forgot how much I like the Whole 30 daily emails--is anyone else getting them?

My meals went as planned yesterday, though I did have a Larabar post-dinner (going completely against my goal to NOT have any Larabars/nuts/nut butters on this Whole30). But, the good news is, it tasted bad to me (I think it actually might have been an old one, ew), so I think they'll stay away for the rest of the Whole30 (except for one weekend trip when I'll need them for fuel).

My meals are the same for the rest of the week (I typically cook on weekends and package the portions separately so I don't have to cook when I get home from work). I'm that person who ate the same lunch throughout all of grade school--meals I like don't get old for me. I did sautee some spinach along with the shaved brussels sprouts last night, topped with sauerkraut and Frank's red hot--it was DELICIOUS! I didn't even want my chili after that, but ate it anyway for the protein. 

I remember having a terrible headache on Day 2 last go-round, and being insatiably thirsty. Is anyone feeling the adverse affects?

Stargazer93: Perhaps consider a digestive enzyme while you're incorporating more protein and fat? They were recommended to me on my last Whole30, and I took them (can't say I noticed any huge change), but people swear by them. 

Here's to Day 2!

Day One was a success! We had some crazy family stuff that happened, so, the dinner I had planned didn't happen. Thankfully, I had premade some chicken veggie soup over the weekend that was in the fridge.  So, just warmed that up and dinner was ready!  Prepping saves me all the time!  

Tonight will be a crazy night of running my kiddos around. Since my original meal last night didn't work out I took the time to prep the veggies for tonight, so, should just mean zapping some sweet potatoes and plopping some veggies on a tray to roast before we have to run out the door. 

How did Day 1 go for everyone else?

Meal plan for today:

Meal 1: left over steak diced in a one pot with a cup of potatoes and onions, olive oil and melon chunks

Meal 2: Spinach chicken salad with peppers, tomatoes, olives, oil & vinegar dressing. Banana and Cashews.

Meal 3: Prepped grilled chicken, roasted broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil and baked sweet potatoes.

Fastd - I keep meaning to try cauliflower rice. It looks interesting. Just wondering about the texture. So far the only way I can eat cauliflower is raw or roasted. Everything else just hasn't tasted right.  Hope you woke up feeling better today!

Yes, I'm feeling much better, thanks! I work in a hospital, and sometimes I seem to catch minor stomach bugs that last only 24 hours or so. Must have been something like that.

I love the Well Fed cauliflower rice recipe, and have also made a nearly identical dish with grated cabbage. With both, my boyfriend actually asked me if it was rice! The secret, in my opinion, is chopping it up to the size you like in your food processor (but be careful not to make the pieces toooooo small, or I would imagine it might get mushy when you cook it), and adding lots of fat (I use coconut oil, and quite a bit more than the recipe calls for). 

Yay for day 1 being in the bag! I forgot how much I like the Whole 30 daily emails--is anyone else getting them?

My meals went as planned yesterday, though I did have a Larabar post-dinner (going completely against my goal to NOT have any Larabars/nuts/nut butters on this Whole30). But, the good news is, it tasted bad to me (I think it actually might have been an old one, ew), so I think they'll stay away for the rest of the Whole30 (except for one weekend trip when I'll need them for fuel).

My meals are the same for the rest of the week (I typically cook on weekends and package the portions separately so I don't have to cook when I get home from work). I'm that person who ate the same lunch throughout all of grade school--meals I like don't get old for me. I did sautee some spinach along with the shaved brussels sprouts last night, topped with sauerkraut and Frank's red hot--it was DELICIOUS! I didn't even want my chili after that, but ate it anyway for the protein. 

I remember having a terrible headache on Day 2 last go-round, and being insatiably thirsty. Is anyone feeling the adverse affects?

Stargazer93: Perhaps consider a digestive enzyme while you're incorporating more protein and fat? They were recommended to me on my last Whole30, and I took them (can't say I noticed any huge change), but people swear by them. 

Here's to Day 2!

I snacked on dried fruit and nuts after dinner last night too! I told myself, 'Hey, if it allows you to get through Day 1 without caving...' But, moving forward, I also want to cut that out, because eating dried fruit and nuts are triggers for me in terms of binge eating. 

Good luck with Day 2 everyone!

Hi all!  My husband and I started our first Whole30 yesterday also.  My first day went pretty well although I didn't love any of my meals.  Bacon, spinach and egg casserole with cashews and a peach, shredded chicken and wholly guacamole (chicken salad style) lettuce wraps with carrots and grapes and ground beef taco lettuce wraps with salad.  Today I started with a ground beef, broccoli and egg casserole with a peach.  I'm finding that I don't like pre-cooked casseroles.  I'll probably need to start cooking my eggs fresh in the morning instead.  For lunch I packed salsa chicken over lettuce, with tomato, black olives and avocado.  I've been scouring pinterest and the internet for easy recipes, hoping to find some good stuff I'll actually want to eat.  I don't like cold meat on salads and think reheated meat is even worse. :(  So packed lunches are hard.

I started this journey hoping to feel more rested, break my sugar addiction, stabilize my moods, eliminate my headaches and weird stomach aches, and heal the tendonitis in my foot.

Happy to be joining you all!

I'm one day behind (starting my Whole30 today), but I'd love to stay checking in with you guys :) I've been eating 80% paleo already, but I have a crazy sugar addiction and need this to really help me kick it and try to reverse some insulin resistance. I'm really excited to have such a great support system here as everyone seems really motivated :D 

Here's to Day 2!

I have been taking an digestive enzyme for a couple months now and will continue only because my digestive tack is in bad shape.  At some point I will see if I can go with out them.  They have helped me and I also take a good Magnesium Calcium that is food based which has helped a lot with elimination problems as well.  Have a great day 2  Yes I am getting the Whole 30 emails and loved the video at the end for day one, I could watch that everyday. :D

I'm on day 2... I have a headache that seems to be increasing as the day continues and started last night prior to playing volleyball and eased up, but is now in full force. I'm really short and have no patience at the office. I'm trying no to take anything and hoping once I eat, it will lessen.

So question, how much am I supposed to be eating exactly? I had breakfast (2 eggs scrambled with about a cup or more spinach and some green chili and bell pepper) but I ate all of the eggs and left some of the veggies behind b/c I just couldn't consume it all. Last night for dinner, I had 2 poached chicken thighs plus surrounded them in green beans. I had to force myself to eat all the green beans (about 1 1/2 cups mayeb)? I don't really know if I should just eat until I'm full and quit or what...

I'm feeling kind of frustrated right now and feeling that the kill all things phase is about to be upon me by tomorrow, if not sooner...

I'm on day 2... I have a headache that seems to be increasing as the day continues and started last night prior to playing volleyball and eased up, but is now in full force. I'm really short and have no patience at the office. I'm trying no to take anything and hoping once I eat, it will lessen.

So question, how much am I supposed to be eating exactly? I had breakfast (2 eggs scrambled with about a cup or more spinach and some green chili and bell pepper) but I ate all of the eggs and left some of the veggies behind b/c I just couldn't consume it all. Last night for dinner, I had 2 poached chicken thighs plus surrounded them in green beans. I had to force myself to eat all the green beans (about 1 1/2 cups mayeb)? I don't really know if I should just eat until I'm full and quit or what...

I'm feeling kind of frustrated right now and feeling that the kill all things phase is about to be upon me by tomorrow, if not sooner...

Hang in there.   :rolleyes:  Try this think about only what it is that you want and not about the things you can't have.  So I want to be healthier-I want to lose weight-I want to get into my old clothes-    :lol:  Try a piece of fruit some melon maybe.  Keep posting :)

Yeah I started with Day 1 yesterday and must say I'm pretty f'ing miserable. And let me cut to the chase. It's largely the lack of booze baby. Maybe I need to take a trip to AA land, because this is killing me. And no I am not kidding. I'm also missing the creme and splenda in my coffee. But that is pretty low on the scale.

My wife started with me too yesterday but had a piece of pie in the afternoon (yeah that's right).

I was threatening this dude I used to work with in Facebook last night for telling me about the program. He told me it was perfectly fine to drink red wine on the Whole30. I don't think I'm hiring him as my program sponsor anytime soon.

But it's all good. We shall stick with this, Nietzsche style!

MY GOALS: 1) Lose a few pounds, 2) press the reset button on my inner body chemistry, and 3) prove to myself that I can follow what is ultimately a not very difficult challenge for 30 freakin' days.

BTW, I don't know what engine these folks are using, but this forum looks terrific!

OK, I've got to go snack on some bottled herring. That's right...SNACK!

Oh the booze... Playing coed leagues that are beer leagues is testing my strength.

Made it through day 2 and trying to figure out how not to be wound up after ball and this continuing headache so I can sleep. On a plus side, took 12 cupcakes to the ball field and managed not lick the icing off my fingers as I passed them out. I had them prior to day 1 from a football BBQ Sunday, knowing the commitment I was embarking on Monday and feeling like it was my last time for sweets.

Ok, day 3- you're gonna be my b****!!!

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit late to posting but I also started yesterday (9/15). This is my first Whole30. I started the book recently and hope to finish it soon.

Things are going okay so far - no headaches or "hangovers" despite having gone wine tasting and binging on cupcakes at a 1 year old's birthday party over the weekend. However, I have had quite a few hunger pangs and odd cravings already (dinner rolls, really?). I'm hoping I'll be able to tackle these pangs and cravings as I figure out what the most satiating foods are and when the best meal times are. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what experiences other folks have with the program, as well as reading any recipes you have to share. Here are a couple I've tried so far, which I've really enjoyed:

Good morning, all, and happy Day 3! Is anyone having weird dreams that they accidentally go off-plan? I had that on Monday night--that I had a bite of frozen yogurt, and actually woke up yesterday thinking that I needed to start all over. 

I'm researching lunch recipes for next week--does anyone ones that aren't soup or stew? Between my balsamic chicken stew and chili, I'm looking forward to using a fork next week!

Hi all.  Day 2 ended pretty well. Dinner was as planned and the prep of the veggies really paid off. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower - YUM!!  

Day 3 is here and I can tell I haven't been getting enough sleep at night. It is really all me. Not being in bed until just after 10pm means not falling asleep until almost 10:30pm and let me tell you - 5am comes way too soon after that!  Hoping to get everyone in bed early tonight so I can go to bed early.  

Have not been able to get in much activity this week so far. Been so swamped with kids schedules and work I figure it is a great success to simply make it through the day on plan!

Meal plan for today will be:

Meal 1: 1c roasted potatoes w/ onions and steak (cooked in EVOO) and a few olives - intended to eat an apple with it, but, it tasted gross! (still working to finish up my leftover potatoes and steak!)

Meal 2: 1c roasted root veg with chocolate chili, banana and cashews

Meal 3: chicken vegetable soup and a salad

Good morning everyone,

Is anyone starting to notice any Whole30 magic yet? It's early days, but I felt like I slept a bit more deeply last night. I had a horrible time getting to sleep, however! It's a process, that's for sure.

Good luck today!

@ ltaylor - Mmmm I'm going to make that chocolate chili soon. I love it!

Good morning, all, and happy Day 3! Is anyone having weird dreams that they accidentally go off-plan? I had that on Monday night--that I had a bite of frozen yogurt, and actually woke up yesterday thinking that I needed to start all over. 

I'm researching lunch recipes for next week--does anyone ones that aren't soup or stew? Between my balsamic chicken stew and chili, I'm looking forward to using a fork next week!

Yup. last night I had some weird dream and forgot about it until I read your blog post. Don't remember specifics but I know I was cheating somehow LOL.

Also for lunch this week, I've been doing leftovers but for day 1, I cut up a whole avocado w/ a can of pink salmon and squeezed a lime over it w/ S&P and it was delicious, very filling.

I'm on Day 3 and my hangover is absolutely the worst!!! My headache is out of control and I'm hoping that my massage this evening will be helpful in moving all the stuff out. I'll let everyone know tomorrow, then you will all have a perfect excuse for getting one if you don't already!

I'm already feeling like a terror... I'm sure all the members in my fantasy league along w/ my coed leagues are going to cane me by week 2...

Day 3 here. I still had a tough night without the booze last night, although better than the night of Day 1. And so I'm thinking of going to a 'meeting' at Noon today...because my obsession is a concern for me. It's down the street and iMHO we're all here to learn, experience and grow....so why the heck not?

I'm definitely sleeping better, although I haven't noticed that I have more energy.  This morning I did my typical weird gym circuit where I get up to 10 pull-ups and then do 12 push ups, 20 sit ups and five squats -- and repeat that ritual every five pull ups until I get to 30 pull ups...totaling 30 pull ups, 60 push ups, 100 sit ups, 50 squats....Then I do 30 weight assisted dips and 30 Australian push ups. In case you think I'm bragging.....

I'm definitely more anxious.

I'm definitely craving sugar as well, although I notice that without the sugar my appetite has decreased, which in my case is a good thing!

And most importantly I'm definitely proud of anyone who does this program, including myself.

Archived