Starting Monday, Sept 15, 2014

ThisDogNNT

Thanks so much LTaylor9597 and Pennylane14! I appreciate the advice and the kind words! I think the first two days were kind of rough for me but today I feel great! I feel like it’s too early to feel this good, I hope my body just adjusted quickly and I’ll keep feeling this good!

I had some kombucha today with my lunch (the compliant brand) and it was such a great treat and so good for you too! I’m in such a great mood today because I slept so great last time and just feel satisfied, not hungry.

Good morning, all, and happy Day 3! Is anyone having weird dreams that they accidentally go off-plan? I had that on Monday night--that I had a bite of frozen yogurt, and actually woke up yesterday thinking that I needed to start all over. 

That is so funny! I do the same thing in my dreams! I also woke up thinking I had to start over.... I'm also a server at a Restraunt which is extremely difficult right about now because it all looks so good but I can't have any of it! When I left work today I actually had to stop and think if I ate anything from there, even though I know I didn't touch any of it.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day three and going strong (so far). I haven't experienced any of the negative side affects so far. It almost makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I was very groggy on Monday but that was from sleep deprivation more than anything else. Two things I have noticed, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing: shortly after I eat lunch I've been getting really really cold. It's not as bad after breakfast since I'm moving and on my way to work but I've noticed it particularly after lunch when I'm sitting in my office. My office isn't cold at all and no one else seems chilly. It's very strange. I've also been insatiably thirsty! I'm curious if these are side effects or just random. 

Let me know if any one else is experiencing the same thing and good luck to you all! 

Been trying to get the hubby, but he does not want to give up his beer on Sunday Football.  UGH MEN! 

Hey, I resemble that remark! Just playing, yeah laying off beer and football on Sundays was a sticking point for me too. Wait ... come to think of it I am also missing beer and football on Mondays & Thursdays, too!! Wait a minute ... WHAT HAVE I DONE??? :-)

Day three 

Went to the local Farmers Market found some Bacon that is completely Whole 30 compliant and a bag of beef bones for bone soup.  Something new at the market is a couple young guys just starting a business selling whole chickens that are organic fed with out grain or GMO's and processed at a local butcher so no chemicals in the processing.  I almost feel over with the price but got one anyway.  I'll let you know if it taste any different then the ones at the store.  The KambuCha guy was not there and all the local farm eggs where sold out looks like a trip to the grocery store.  Can't wait till we get our own chickens.  

I need to plan my meals better since I did not have time to make breakfast and just finished cooking dinner since today was my 10 hour work day. ugh  My husband thought I was mad at him how do I tell him that this is not about him.  Maybe I was mad at him since he was having a glass of wine and I wasn't.

Hope everyone is doing great.

So question, how much am I supposed to be eating exactly? I had breakfast (2 eggs scrambled with about a cup or more spinach and some green chili and bell pepper) but I ate all of the eggs and left some of the veggies behind b/c I just couldn't consume it all. Last night for dinner, I had 2 poached chicken thighs plus surrounded them in green beans. I had to force myself to eat all the green beans (about 1 1/2 cups mayeb)? I don't really know if I should just eat until I'm full and quit or what...

NinaNieve, Here is a good starting point for most of your portion sizes (and we don't even need a scale ... aren't those whole30 folks good to us).

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

For eggs, the serving size rule of thumb is "as many as you can can hold in one hand". For me it's 4, for you it might be two.

Also, those are a starting point (not a limit). We are supposed to listen to our body and adjust from there. Take at least 20 minutes to consume your meal (which is MUCH slower than most of us eat), and, if you do that, then stop when you are full. If you get hungry before the next meal, take note and up your portions next time (include a little more protein, and add an "eating fat" if you didn't include one originally both help with satiety).

Another thing to remember, if you think you feel hungry, just picture a plate of steamed fish and plain steamed broccoli ... If you don't feel like eating that, then you're not really hungry and it is just a craving. I have had one continuous craving since I woke up Monday AM. So sucks ... just won't go away. 

As we get our hormone patterns reset and we get better about listening to our bodies then this all is supposed to become much easier. I guess we will see.

Is anyone starting to notice any Whole30 magic yet? It's early days, but I felt like I slept a bit more deeply last night. I had a horrible time getting to sleep, however! It's a process, that's for sure.

No miracles yet (unless you count a screaming headache a miracle), but I am ALSO having the worst time trying to fall asleep. I know I am tired, but I just lay there and the sleep n-e-v-e-r comes. They say that if you were a serious carb junkie like me, your hormones are so out of whack that it messes with your circadian rhythms (like having jet lag), these are supposed to also get reset soon. Here's to hoping. Just make sure you eat breakfast as soon as you get up, and are eating dinner a few (not a couple) hours before you plan to go to bed. Good luck ... otherwise we can always hang out together here on the forum every night at 1:30 AM! lol.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing: shortly after I eat lunch I've been getting really really cold. It's not as bad after breakfast since I'm moving and on my way to work but I've noticed it particularly after lunch when I'm sitting in my office. My office isn't cold at all and no one else seems chilly. It's very strange. I've also been insatiably thirsty! I'm curious if these are side effects or just random. 

estrock, I don't ... but my wife has similar issues related to what she eats. First check (or have someone check) your blood pressure periodically throughout the day. If your blood pressure (either number) is below 90/60 ... give your doc a call (also for sure call him immediately if you are on blood pressure medicine and/or are diabetic / hypoglycemic). Assuming, neither is the case, what might be happening is that when you eat protein, a lot of extra work has to happen in your stomach to digest the protein ... so your body has to send more blood there. More blood going there means there is temporarily less going to your feet, hands, and skin. Hence the cold. If it continues though and/or more symptoms start happening at the same time (like getting dizzy, light-headed, confused, blurry vision, etc), give your doc a call.

!!! Warning to ALL !!!

in case you haven't been to the store since starting the Whole30 ... I had to go to the grocery store today to restock a few things and, you know those cheery helpful people with the smocks and the free samples of "food"  -- THEY ARE EVIL -- Also, whoever designed the display strategies at the checkout lines ... that person ... --- THEY ARE EVIL TOO ---

Good luck to everyone on Day ??? ... well tomorrow ("Brain, please work mo better then.").

That is all. :-)

Morning all! Day 3 went pretty well. Ran home and then right back out to my daughter's soccer game. No time for dinner before the game. Thankfully, we had enough chicken vegetable soup leftover from earlier in the week that we just warmed it up and dinner was ready. I wound up heating up some leftover roasted broccoli and cauliflower to have along with it. Also managed to get in bed a smidge early which has made all the difference this morning. Looking forward to doing that again tonight.  

My first time through the Whole30 program my sleep was so terrible the first couple of weeks. I was exhausted but, never could get/stay asleep. Finally around the third week (I think towards the end) I got the best nights sleep and it has continued ever since. I do find that I function best when I get 8 hours of sleep for sure. But, lately if I can get a full 7 hours Sun - Wed night I feel ok and spend the rest of the days getting the amount I really need.  For those struggling with sleep - hang in there!

Day 4 meal plan will be:

Meal 1: 1c roasted potatoes, 4 ozs ground beef, 5 mushrooms and onions cooked in pan with EVOO and an apple on the side.

Meal 2: Spinach salad with diced chicken breast, red pepper, carrots and olives with a balsalmic/evoo dressing. Banana and cashews on the side.

Meal 3: This will likely be burgers (no bun) with a bunch of grilled veggies or spaghetti squash with homemade spaghetti sauce (I never buy my sauce in a jar!) Just will depend on what everyone feels like tonight.

Tomorrow I am going to spend a little of my lunch time shopping for some new dress pants. Mine are officially getting too big! YAY! Much rather shop for smaller clothes than bigger ones!

Overall, feeling pretty great. Hoping this round is going to be easier than the first time through as far as the "symptoms" I have. Certainly nice to be sticking to a particular structure through dinner again.

Day three and going strong (so far). I haven't experienced any of the negative side affects so far. It almost makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I was very groggy on Monday but that was from sleep deprivation more than anything else. Two things I have noticed, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing: shortly after I eat lunch I've been getting really really cold. It's not as bad after breakfast since I'm moving and on my way to work but I've noticed it particularly after lunch when I'm sitting in my office. My office isn't cold at all and no one else seems chilly. It's very strange. I've also been insatiably thirsty! I'm curious if these are side effects or just random. 

Let me know if any one else is experiencing the same thing and good luck to you all! 

I too was insatiably thirsty on my first Whole30, for about the first ten days. I say its a side effect (no idea what its related too).

Is anyone else on their second (or third, fourth, etc.) go round and finding your symptoms are very different? Last time I had a headache for three days and was very draggy during the first few days, but this time I haven't had any of that. I wonder if its because I haven't been eating as many carbs since my last Whole30. 

So I'm getting a little sick of avocados and guacamole--what other healthy fats are people incorporating? I thought that cooking fat tended to burn off/stay in the pan, so we couldn't count it? I think I'm going to buy some coconut shreads this weekend, but interested as to what everyone else is doing for this component. 

Ok day 4, and I have to say, not sure if my body is adjusting or the massage helped, but my headache is waaaaaaay better. It's still there but it's not forcing me to be at a point where I might get arrested. It was KILLER last night and I tossed all night but I don't really feel hungover today.

I feel tired but not, does that make sense? For instance, Tuesday night ball, I did not tire during the game but I had an overall tiredness. Today I feel tired, but I feel fairly alert. We shall see when I get through my morning meetings however, I've noticed I'm not articulating and thinking clearly at times.

I'm interested in seeing where I fall on the kill all things spectrum today and tomorrow... I already wanted to slap a former admin for her know-it-all comment 5 minutes ago which was totally wrong.

So I'm getting a little sick of avocados and guacamole--what other healthy fats are people incorporating? I thought that cooking fat tended to burn off/stay in the pan, so we couldn't count it? I think I'm going to buy some coconut shreads this weekend, but interested as to what everyone else is doing for this component. 

Pennylane, this shopping list has some great recommendations for healthy fats (eating and cooking) at the bottom: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Check it out! 

Also, if you incorporate the recommended amount of cooking fat in your meals (one to two thumb sizes) it won't all cook off. Plus, a lot of the healthy cooking fats such as coconut oil have a high smoke point and don't burn off much at all. 

And we're on Day 4. A few things:

--Nights are definitely tougher for me...much tougher.

--This morning I was exhausted, but we're talking a 5:30am trip to the gym, people, and at this point I'm on a "sabbatical," so I don't even need to get up that early. I just do so I can see people I know at the gym.

--My wife didn't have to go in this morning so instead we had a great chat over breakfast...I told her I both hate and love this program. I love it because I'm learning a lot about myself....and us. One example: why so tired? Well, you remove all that sugar (from dairy, from booze, from foods with added sugars....) and.....

--A quick trip to Trader Joe's for "research" validated that sugar free bacon is hard to come by. Until I get to Whole Foods, life will go on without bacon...no biggie.

And the biggie: We've always weighed ourselves every day...always. Yes, we call that a HABIT. And for the first four days of this program we weighed ourselves. But that's all over now. I'm hiding the scale in a creepy place in our garage that my wife will never find. And no, I'm not restarting because of this.

Hope you all are doing well and are learning.

I also want to say great job everyone! I feel like our forum group is pretty real and I like that. It's been helping me read what others have to say and encouraging me for sure.

Y'all rock!

I mean...crap....how can you NOT love a post like this, with such positive energy? Thank you for writing this!

Day 4

No time for breakfast so bagged some leftovers from dinner. Short day today at work so had the rest of the leftovers for lunch when I got home at two. Definitely needed a nap around 3 yesterday but was the only person in the store so no free time for me. Feeling tired today and will definitely take that nap. Up most of the night because of a thunder storm and my phone was sending me alarm messages for flash flooding. We did get 3 1/2 inches and the garden was very happy.

Planning on making appoint to be extra nice to my husband today since I have been on the diet and more irritable in the evenings. Still missing that glass of wine.

Does anyone know can we eat white potatoes now on the whole 30 diet?

Hope everyone's day goes as planned. Mine will be easier once I start planning my meals better.

Coming to an end of day 4! I had a late dinner because of a meeting I had to attend and made homemade taco seasoning to put on my ground turkey! Yummy! My boyfriend said it tasted just like Taco Bell's... I don't know whether to take that as a compliment but since he loves taco bell coming from him it is! Day 4 was a day of challenges only for the fact my schedule pushed my meals to weird times today, but I think overall it went pretty well! Good job everyone, keep it up!

Good morning,

Day #5 is here and still going strong! How is everyone else doing?

The real challenge will be the weekend, does anyone have any tips for staying on track these next two days at home?

Well folks, I had the 2 first games to play last night followed by chilling with my teammates for the next 2... Which meant some good and bad things. Let's start with the bad lol.

1. I didn't have time to eat dinner, left the house at 5:30 and wasn't home until almost 11.

2. I was tired, super tired, winded as hell. Not sure, but I'm thinking combo of the diet and not eating.

3. Surrounded by BEER!!!!

Good things!

1. RESISTED URGE TO DRINK BEER!!! Woohoo!

2. Also resisted urge to eat peanuts and sports drinks.

3. Really need to work on planning dinners on these type of nights.

I got home and tried to eat 2 hb eggs with EVOO and s&p but gave the last half to the dog. I was hungry all night but I didn't give in and interestingly enough, didn't feel hypoglycemic at all. Normally I have the shakes and I get super hangry but I just kind of sat there through the night with the I'm hungry but I won't die feeling.

I will add my heache is almost 100% gone but still have some residual ache.

This weekend is going to be tough with Gators and Broncos football all weekend but my plan is to stay home for one game and cook some meals for the week along with bring food I can eat to the BBQ for the other game.

Day 5 is ours my friends!!!! And it's Friday so let's not be triggered into cheating- happy hour can be a meal you cook with friends, a mani/pedi, a massage, a movie in.

Ok pep talk over- let's do this!

So far so good. The planning part has been a little bit exhausting, particularly living in Brooklyn in a neighborhood that doesn't have great grocery stores. So I have to schlep to Whole Foods and then trek everything back. Kind of a pain, but worth it. Leading up to starting the Whole30 I had talked to my boyfriend about what the Whole30 entailed and he decided he wanted to do it as well. If anything he has many more reasons to do it than me. I'm a little disappointed because yesterday we had a talk about how he was never really all that committed to it and was doing it more to support me but he doesn't think he's an all or nothing kind of guy. I really hope he sticks with it, more for his own good than for the added support (because I know he'll be supportive while I'm on it). So that's kind of an added challenge, because I was looking forward to having his support but I guess that's what this forum is for! 

On the bright side I did some planning ahead of time to combat potential temptations for upcoming events this weekend. Tonight I'm having dinner with my Mom. She suggested ordering out but I don't really want to deal with the stress of making the right decision my first week so I made us a curry on Wednesday and froze it to eat today. I think it's going to be really good! I'll just have to bring some kind of sugar free festive beverage to help steer clear of the wine! 

AND I have my bookclub on Sunday which I always associate with wine and cheese and other naughty snacks. I'm going to make sweet potato chips and with a garlic lime dip and baba ghanoush. I'll probably also bring some olives and something to drink that isn't just water. Normally I would be one of the people bringing the cheese and wine but planning ahead of time means I'll feel prepared and temptation won't be as difficult to overcome. 

Day five i'm a big baby:

I signed up for the whole 30 daily which is great. I get an email every day which encourages me and helps me with where I'm at in the 30 days. At the end of each email they ask you how you did today and you click I did great or I didn't. This morning after I clicked I did great for day four I just started bawling. Warning I am a very moody cancer with my sun, moon and Mercury also in cancer.

The tears I guess came from the realizeation that this is really going to work, it's not just a diet this is a full blown out lifestyle change for me. For years now I have been using food and alcohol to comfort me with about 50% of the food being healthy. So for the last 15 years I've been about 30 to 40 pounds overweight. I,m 58 now and I can see my health slowly declining. I have tried every diet plan out there only to gain it all back with in a month or two.

I carry all the extra weight in my upper body and in my belly. I can't tell you how many times people have thought that I was pregnant.

A couple of months ago there were several conversations with friends and acquaintances regarding bone soup. The recipe that I found was in the whole 30 website. Some of the best things in my life have come by accident (angels showing me the way).

So I think I'll cry more eat better and drink less.

So I hope y'all have a great day five take it slow cry more and just let the emotions fly.

So last night was the first night in a long while that I slept all the way through to the alarm (6:30AM, only hit the snooze button once). No waking up at 4AM and lying awake for an hour and a half. I'll take it.

At the same time, my stomach BURNED in the car on the way to work. Like a, "took medication on an empty stomach" kind of burn, though I had taken no medications of any sort. I was gagging and trying not to throw up. I pulled over, grabbed a hard-boiled egg out of my lunchbag, and cracked it open and ate it so that I could get something in my stomach quickly before I heaved. Anyone else have that happen?

I've never been able to consume food before about 10AM or so, so this "need for breakfast" is quite new.

Day 5 here we are. Cyndi Lou, you are not a big baby. You are stronger than most -- not that we're in competition here.

I'm feeling pretty good this morning.

The scale is now officially gone.

My cravings are pretty minimal for right now.

My biggest external learnings as I've ventured into Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are the enormous amounts of packaged foods with added sugar -- organic chicken broth...really? Why??

And my biggest internal learning so far remains my unhealthy dependence on alcohol. I think I'll end my Whole30 at 30 days but am strongly considering going a full 90 without the booze.

I think one of the biggest challenges is also eat out. Although I have the advantage of living in a big city there's still such a mystery around the food that's served and how it's made and what's included. I'm scared I'm going to make the wrong choice and end up eating something off the Whole30! 

@ estrock - It happened to me yesterday. By eating out, I ended up eating something off-plan in spite of my best efforts not to (I diligently asked the waitress about soy in the salad dressing and dairy ANYWHERE on the plate). It was one of those tricky work-related lunches where putting down my fork and refusing to eat another bite did not feel like an option. I finished the darn salad, even though about half way through I had the realization, "Hey, that tastes really familiar...it's parmesan cheese!"  There was cheese in the marinade they used on the chicken which was shredded over the salad. 

So, I guess I am on Day 1 again. I suppose that is okay, since I was going to try and do this for longer this time anyways. Still, a bit of a bummer. I'd like to be able to eat out while on the Whole30 but I realized after yesterday that I haven't really attempted it all that much during my past Whole30s. How do others navigate this? 

Day 5 here we are. Cyndi Lou, you are not a big baby. You are stronger than most -- not that we're in competition here.

I'm feeling pretty good this morning.

The scale is now officially gone.

My cravings are pretty minimal for right now.

My biggest external learnings as I've ventured into Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are the enormous amounts of packaged foods with added sugar -- organic chicken broth...really? Why??

And my biggest internal learning so far remains my unhealthy dependence on alcohol. I think I'll end my Whole30 at 30 days but am strongly considering going a full 90 without the booze.

Same here a full 90 without the booze was my goal from the beginning.  Feeling down right now :blink: but that is usual for me on Friday afternoon.  Heating up some potato soup I made a couple days ago and adding some clarified butter to instead of the heavy cream.  Yes comfort food.  It's the 4th day of rain here in Austin Tx so no gardening for me (my day off) I've got two pots of beef bone soup going.  One has organic grass fed bones from the farmers market and the other regular bones from the grocery store. The one from the grocery store I will need to skim all the fat from.  Good luck on staying away from the booze this weekend or should I just go ahead and congratulate us both now for doing a good job. :D  I wanted to weigh myself this morning so much.  I wonder if I can use a Ketone strip to see if I am burning fat yet. :( Taking the dog for a walk before it starts to rain again.

Archived