Starting Monday, Sept 15, 2014

ThisDogNNT

Kristina - If you live near a Trader Joe's they plenty of reasonably priced organic chicken parts and other organic meats. They also gave grass fed hamburger patties and Atkins Lamb chops that are grass fed. If you go to Whole Foods you don't even necessarily have to go organic. Read their beef policies. They're pretty stringent. Overall I go organic, and grass fed with hamburgers only. Good luck!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Kristina.  I will play with my methods  for grocery shopping.  I'm not sure if it's better to go and do one or two really big shops, or if it's better to break up the shopping trips to be once a week.  What is your experience?   [/sup]

I've enjoyed your posts, and glad to join you and looking forward to finishing the Whole30. 

Hi Kristina. Welcome aboard. I myself don't have any set shopping it's basically when I need to go. Lately it seems like I do one big one and then go back again sometime in the week to pick up some necessities. My mom had Parkinson's and type two diabetes. She was on quite a bit of medication when she passed away at 84.

Stay strong I love to hear how the rest of your 30 days ago.

RapmasterD:  Thank you for this...  I will try it out.  I do have a Trader Joe's down the street from work.  I've always stopped there but not really bought any of their meats.  I will see what they have available.  I also have a Whole Foods even closer to work, I can go in there and see what they have available too. 

I guess I assume their prices are high... but I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with. 

Kristina

Cyndi Lou,

Thanks for your response.  Yes Parkinson's is a tough disease.  My DH is young onset, still in his forties.   We also have three DS..  (ages 8,6,2).  Eating this way seems to have helped him some.  We went out to dinner tonight and he was surprised he didn't shake as bad as he thought he would.  My hope is that following Whole30 will help him have more energy and be stronger to cope with the symptoms.

I guess time will tell.... :) 

I'm staying strong.  I really love the Whole30 plan.  I'm experiencing lots of energy and feeling more empowered to resist unhealthy choices.( I made cupcakes for my boys today, albeit gluten free, but not grain free.  I wasn't even tempted to try them.)  I'm also more comfortable in my skin, my clothes fit so much better.  After three pregnancies it's hard to get back to your pre pregnancy shape.  Before kids  I exercised every day, but it's a stretch to say now I work out maybe once a week.  So to have a plan where I don't have to count calories, and still experience great results is awesome. 

I do need to add some variety in my meals.  So hopefully with this next shop I can plan better and make some different recipes, cuz I've been feeling a little bit bored.  Especially with lunch... I'm always eating a salad with tuna on top.  It's good, but I've gotta figure something else out to mix it up.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Kristina

Happy Day 21! We're so close!! I didn't get breakfast today and was starving - Once I got home I devoured scrambled eggs because they just sounded so darn delicious, who said scrambled eggs were just for breakfast?

NinaNieve, Pederson's Natural Farms has a brand of bacon that happens to be Whole 30 compliant and I looked on their website to find out that one of the only stores in the state to carry it was right by me! How lucky! :) If you go on the website they have a store look-up. Try it out and see if you have any luck! I also think Kroger brand low-sodium pre-cooked bacon is compliant (it doesn't have any sugar in it, I know that for sure) but want to check about the preservatives we're supposed to avoid, though I'm not that strict on the whole preservative aspect.

Thanks Stargazer!

Well y'all this weekend proved to be the most difficult of all... Drinks Friday night, cheese with breakfast along with a cream soda Saturday morning, along with pickle shots for Sundays game. Let me tell you, I was just fed up with certain things and I let that trigger my drinking and eating. It truly is a testament to how eating and drinking is emotional.

At this stage of the game, I think I've effectively turned my whole 30 into an 80/20 diet.

So today is day 1, again... I'm proud to have made it this far though, and I'm proud of all of you for not slipping into that emotional trap.

Hi all,

Happy Day 22 to those of us still on this, as my old co-worker said "single-digits until I can eat cheese again!". I know not everyone is on the same day in this group, but was wondering what benefits folks are feeling, and what they expected to feel but aren't?

I'm feeling more rested in the mornings, have very few digestive issues (except when I eat lots of nuts, which you would think would scare me off of nuts), and, the best part, recovery from workouts is phenomenal. I have almost no muscle soreness in the days after a tough workout, which is really making me wonder what I was eating that was causing all this before--I thought it was a given that I would be sore for days after tough session.

Things that haven't improved--my skin (last Whole30, my skin felt remarkably smooth starting in week 2, and I had less oiliness in my fave. Haven't noticed that this time), and my weight. I know this isn't a weight loss program, but nothing is looser (that I can tell, and I mainly use my bra as a benchmark, when it and my sports bras feel tight, I know it's serious!). That being said, I do know that I'm doing #somuchgood for my body right now, that I'm focusing on the awesome feeling in the morning as well as the awesome workout recovery. Oh, and the energy. Alllll the energy (I pretty much crashed on Friday night, and was really concerned that I'd eaten something off-plan. Don't think I did, must have just needed the rest!).

High-five to everyone on this Monday!

As for me... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because I've been so careful to stay on the program, and it hasn't been hard. I think the only time I slipped was on Day 6 when I took a tums and didn't even think to read the ingredients. But I haven't felt any of the boundless energy people talk about. I've always been a really deep sleep so that hasn't changed. I haven't really noticed any major benefits. My skin has always been pretty clear and I haven't really noticed a difference there. Maybe a little bit of weight loss but I can't be sure. It's actually really frustrating and makes me want to give the whole thing up. 

As for me... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong because I've been so careful to stay on the program, and it hasn't been hard. I think the only time I slipped was on Day 6 when I took a tums and didn't even think to read the ingredients. But I haven't felt any of the boundless energy people talk about. I've always been a really deep sleep so that hasn't changed. I haven't really noticed any major benefits. My skin has always been pretty clear and I haven't really noticed a difference there. Maybe a little bit of weight loss but I can't be sure. It's actually really frustrating and makes me want to give the whole thing up. 

Sorry to hear this! I take it this is your first Whole30? Nothing remarkable happened to me on my first one. I will say I just "felt" better, but nothing revolutionary. This second time has been a game changer.

Do you receive the daily emails? Today's pointed out that many people don't feel significant changes until the last few days, and others push it beyond a Whole30 to see if a Whole 45 etc. does something.

The bottom line is, you're not doing anything bad to your body, you're only doing good things. Your body recognizes that, it can just take awhile for it show it. 

Thanks Pennylane! It is my first Whole30. Your comment made me feel much better! It has been a little frustrating but I'm proud of myself for sticking it out and I plan to stick with it for the whole 30 days. I don't know if I'll go past 30 days (I really miss cheese) but maybe next time around I'll do the Whole45 to see if there's any difference. 

I have my moments (headaches and constipation, the latter of which is most unusual for me), plus cravings...but all in all this plan has been OK for me. It's not like I'm teaming with energy, but I feel pretty good. And the oddest thing...I have a torn labrum in my hip. Orthopedist wasn't glowingly confident that surgery would help my pain.

After 18 months of not running, I'm now jogging at a very slow pace (5.2 on a treadmill) -- 3 miles -- twice per week...in addition to a lot of walking outdoors and about 15-20 miles per week of what I'd called "errand-based biking." And so far, so good. I'm not pain free but it is manageable. Is this attributable to the Whole30? Hmmmm......

Moving forward, my wife and I agree that we'll, for the most part, adhere to a modified version of this sucker after the 30 days are over.

-Alcohol on special occasions

-Added sugars so bacon and ketchup are in, but no real or fake sugars in coffee

-Protein bars but as close to PALEO as possible

-Butter

-Pizza and/or spaghetti on VERY rare occasions

-Perhaps rice and/or legumes on a once per week basis...we'll see.

And everything will depend on what's going on in the future, but my intent is to do the Whole30 three times per year, which means 25% of the time. I consider that to be reasonable.

This thing is so close you can almost touch it. Stay strong everyone!

Hi y'all

Thursday on my way to work I was checking in with my body and how I was feeling and the response started to made me cry. I could feel my bodies joy and happiness and my soul was singing. I know I was on the right track doing the Whole30. Then the next day my negative subconscious thoughts started up and before I Knew what was going on I was In full blown anxiety. I know better but it got away from me and I am still battling with it today. So no coffee for awhile and more subconscious positive affirmations.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about.. Their's this one side of you that wants to be the better you and make good choices and change and their is this other side that just wants you to stay the same and it does everything it can to convince you that it's ok to not try or that it's not working. Is it my own inner fear trying to hold me back.

When I raised my two boys I was always disciplining then and giving them guidelines and rules. It was hard and would have been so much easier to just give into them and let them have their own way. So for the past few years I have been taking the easy road and giving in to myself, it's easier. So now it's tough love with discipline, guidelines and rules and that's what I need right now.

I think I've lost weight even though I feel like all I do is eat. To be my normal weight I would need to lose 40 pounds. My son was over for dinner last night and said that my face looked younger, I think I need to have him over more often. He was hooked on some very bad drugs three years ago and is clean now and the happiest I've seen him. So if he can kick a very bad addictive drug I can do this IT'S ONLY 30 DAYS. Actually I'm going to try to do 60.

19 days and I messed up :( Saturday was the first day of Eid, a religious holiday for me and I was making desserts and ended up sampling them. I am back on track today and will be starting over with a thirty day goal, wish me luck!

I am not going to let one slip-up ruin my diet, I can tell I am losing weight my clothing is looser and I feel so much lighter.

Have a great day everyone!

I've been doing pretty good. I've had great energy and felt great   Today tho, I've got some kind of stomach upset. I haven't eaten anything off plan.  One only thing I can think of is,. I tried to clarify my own butter and make ghee.  I've been using it.. but I've noticed my stomach doesn't feel good when I eat it.  I had some on my sweet potatoes last night... so I'm wondering if that is the issue.  Maybe I didn't clarify it long enough???    Which would mean I've messed up on my Whole30... :(   It tastes like ghee....  Ummmm.....    I don't know... I'm trying to flush my system with a lot of water.. hope that will help me feel better.    I refuse to think that I've messed up my whole30!! 

I've had very little stomach upset while on the Whole30 program.. so that's why I'm wondering.. 

Congrats on starting your Whole30!  How is it going so far?  I started mine yesterday.

BTW - I'm originally from the Eastern Shore of Maryland as well - went to Queen Anne's County High School a LONG time ago and moved over to the "other side of the bridge" in 2003.  Where on the Shore do you live?

~Christy

RapmasterD

Wow that sounds like a great plan. I guess we are only one week away from finishing.  I've read some of the success stories and it sounds like the last week is where some people really notice a change.   Do you think you will do any reintroduction of any food to see how you react to them?  Great to hear about the pain in your hip getting better.

Safija

It was just a taste right.  It shouldn't be that bad.  How did you feel the next two days?  I wouldn't worry about it that much, not like you ate the whole thing deliberately.  Can't tell you how many times I have come close to sticking some thing in my mouth thats in front of me just out of habit.  I know that on another forum not sure which one but they don't consider a small slip up bad or as a start over.  We are so close to the 30 day end keep up the good work.

Safija

It was just a taste right.  It shouldn't be that bad.  How did you feel the next two days?  I wouldn't worry about it that much, not like you ate the whole thing deliberately.  Can't tell you how many times I have come close to sticking some thing in my mouth thats in front of me just out of habit.  I know that on another forum not sure which one but they don't consider a small slip up bad or as a start over.  We are so close to the 30 day end keep up the good work.

I felt fine afterwards, had a craving to eat more sweets, but I stopped myself.  I will keep on keeping on :) Thanks for the words of encouragement!

If my counting is correct, we are on day #24, so close to the end!

So close to being done! I can't wait, but at the same time a  little scared. 

This was the biggest challenge I've done for myself in forever. I have to say I haven't loved it the entire time, but I’m happy I am doing it…still J . It’s hard to not inconvenience those around me that still want to include me in happy hours and things like that. 

I work in the mortgage industry and if anyone else does you know the end of month is crazy, well last month was my builders year end so not only was I crazy busy and working nonstop. But I then also went home and made myself dinner. I avoided all the free pizza and junk for lunches. I think everyone thought I was nuts to start in the middle of my busiest month all year. But if I couldn't do it then I knew I would never be able to do it. I survived the liquor following parties and all the junk in the office. (I'm a snacker and love to just snack because I can) but I committed to do this for myself and really its only 30 days. Yes I'm excited to be in the final days.

I'm proud of myself, I never thought I could truly do this. I've learned a lot. 

I'm proud of all of you that have gone through this journey with me. I know I've posted much but I've been reading. 

*YaY* for the final days. Stay strong!

RapmasterD

Wow that sounds like a great plan. I guess we are only one week away from finishing.  I've read some of the success stories and it sounds like the last week is where some people really notice a change.   Do you think you will do any reintroduction of any food to see how you react to them?  Great to hear about the pain in your hip getting better.

Thank you. I haven't thought too much about the reintroduction because I need to travel to the East Coast for several days two days after this jig ends. I'll be eating protein bars in the morning and largely compliant through the rest of the day, plus no alcohol. Bacon will happen for sure. Dairy will be a 'no.' Legumes I just don't know.

Happy day 25! My boyfriend told me last night he wants us to go paleo after this...Yay! I'm so proud of how far we've come and can't wait for challenging myself after this is over by continuing to eat healthy. I can't wait for the journey to come...

On another note, I was out oftown with my family yesterday and forgot to pack a lunch. They stopped at subway and I got a veggie salad with oil and vinegar on it...talk about tasting amazing! That was the most refreshing salad I've had ever, even though it had no protein in it because I can't trust their lunch meat :( that. Was. Amazing.

So the company I work for is owned by a couple and the woman (let's call her Ann), has made numerous comments about my "diet" ever since she asked if I wanted a piece of gum and I turned her down and she asked why.

There are often treats in my office that she provides (her and her husband live upstairs from the office so she'll bring down leftover desserts she made, etc.) every time she's brought a treat she points them out to me "Hey Erin! You want a brownie? Oh right...you're doing that thing." Or "hey, there's a bottle of wine leftover from the photo shoot today, does anyone want a glass, oh, Erin, you can't have any cause it's not included on your diet right?" It seems innocent enough but it really bugs me. 

I work in a small office of 10 people so the whole office can hear these comments and I'm really not comfortable with everyone knowing my business. Especially since someone hears diet and they assume weight loss and that's not why I'm doing this but I don't really feel like getting into the whole spiel of "oh im going this because I've struggled with energy levels my whole life and I think i might be depressed and blah blah blah."

When I told her the first time (and I'm sure some people overheard) I mentioned it was for health reasons having to do with low energy and left it at that but she won't leave it alone. Yesterday, I got a little irritated because I was sending her an email and she started asking me all these questions that she knew were answered in the email and i said, "Ann, just read the email." And she said, "whoa, Erin really needs to start eating." And I got mad at her and said "you've literally made a comment every day since I've told you" and she was said "oh really? what day is this 22? I've made 22 comments?" so I left it alone. 

But then today she made a big deal about how i took it personally and pretty much attacked me for bringing my "attitude" into the office. I assure you, I don't have an attitude, yes I get stressed and may be a little short with people on occasion but it's really rare. I never knew this kind of BS would be involved in doing this program, it's infuriating. Has anyone else had any negative experiences with people acting inappropriately? 

Archived