21 weeks pregnant and still trying to eat better

I am 21 weeks pregnant. I was paleo for about a year before my pregnancy, but I fell off the wagon with my cravings for junk food and sweets during my pregnancy. I have SLE (lupus) so I know I should try to do better.

I have been starting to eat better this week and completely eliminate trips to the vending machine or fast food places. I am also not eating gluten or legumes. The only grain I have been eating is sprouted brown rice cereal and white rice flour pizza crust... which I know I have to eliminate once I start a whole 30. I have been eating cheese and butter too.

My new routine since this "healthy" kick which I'm sure can still be classified as unhealthy to Whole 30ers (but it's much better what I ate before, TRUST ME) is the following: Organic Spouted Brown Rice Cereal with Silk original unsweetened almond milk- Mr McDougall Garden Vegetable Soup (or other vegetable-type soup) and big Chicken Salad with olive oil/vinegar dressing, and for dinner one of the following, Rice Flour Pizza with cheese, tuna patty with sweet potato fries, salmon patty with sweet potato fries, mashed potatoes and veggies with paleo chicken nuggets, paleo pumpkin pancakes with eggs. Snacks have been Fruit, Blue Diamond Almond-Thins, Back to Nature Multi-Seed Rice Thin Crackers (both crackers contain rice flour). I haven't been eating much beef because it hasn't been appetizing during pregnancy. Neither has meat in general, to be honest, but I'm trying my best to do fish or chicken at least once a day, and eggs once a day. I am VERY against having more than about 75 grams of protein a day (because too much protein is not healthy for pregnancy.

I am looking for simple steps to transition my diet to be more paleo/whole 30. Since I'm pregnant I don't feel I have to be 100% perfect all of the time because it's a priority to get enough calories, in my opinion.

I'm thinking about making slow-cooker soups for my breakfasts instead of cereal. Lunch I'll stick with large salads with maybe eggs or chicken on top for protein and lots of olive oil. Supper is where I am at a loss. I need VERY FAST meals for supper. I've leaned on Alexia organic sweet potato fries for awhile and I know that packaged foods arn't the best options.

Any pregnant women have any tips for me to transition to Whole 30- eating? What has worked for you (even if it's not perfect?)

I could have written this same post except I am only 14 weeks pregnant.  I gained 40-50 pounds in each of my first two pregnancies, and I really am hoping not to do that this time, but the first trimester was rough, and I have been eating just to keep the nausea at bay.  I haven't gone out of control with gluten, but I have started eating things I did not eat before. 

Before I got pregnant, I was eating 80% Whole30 and 95% Paleo or so.  I had a good clean diet, and I have done two Whole 30s before with great results.  But, like you, I have been eating a lot of potatoes, some GF bread and waffles, and a lot more convnience foods like sausages and frozen meals.  Makes me wonder how much of my nausea, etc., comes from eating junk!

I keep saying I am going to clean it completely out and do a Whole 30 toward the end of pregnancy, but I need to make changes now, too.

I don't think you're eating bad, at all.  I would make your first step eliminating dairy completely.  Replace your butter with ghee/coconut oil, and cut out the cheese.  That is what I am going to do.  Then, i am going to cut out the GF bread and crackers and replace them with plantain chips or root veggie chips like I used to eat.  If I don't, I am going to lose control of my eating! 

The other huge tip is meal prep.  I cut up tons of veggies on the weekend and then use them all week.  You can do salads at the start of the week and then use them for stir fry/soup as they get a little less fresh.  For breakfast (and even lunch/dinner), you can use the veggies in an omelet, too.  Cook in bulk when you can.  It will save you so much time. 

Soups are great.  I make soup almost every week but I have a hard time getting protein with it.  Let me know if you find any soups that incorporate some good protein. 

Good luck.  Pregnancy makes eating healthier so hard even though we know it's for the best!

I'm 13 weeks along and started my third Whole 30 last week. I was nauseated on and off during weeks 7-9 and ate a lot of crackers, potato chips, frozen meals and mac and cheese. I cleaned up my diet the week before starting this Whole 30, but going all the way really made a difference. 

I think it was ditching the cheese and occasional baked goods that made the most difference. I'm eating a lot more carbs this time around, things I used sparingly in past Whole 30s like fruit, root veggie chips, plantain chips, sweet potatoes (and now other kinds of potatoes) and squash. I'm also more forgiving if I need a snack.

This is my favorite, easy soup recipe: http://paleomg.com/roasted-red-pepper-and-avocado-soup-with-sausages/

It pairs really well with chicken sausage, so there's your protein!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and I've been using that as an excuse to eat...well..whatever I want. I'm still staying away from the things that I know makes my body ache and hurt (soy/dairy especially) but sugar and homemade sweets..they have snuck back with a vengeance. I've completed 2 whole30s this past year, and I logically know what I need to do to be successful. Reading all of these posts has helped me come to terms with the fact that I shouldn't just fall into old habits because I'm pregnant. In fact, being pregnant is a great reason to stay as healthy as I possibly can. Whole 30 number three is about to begin :)

Thanks ladies!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and man, I did not know how hard this would be! All you second trimester ladies are giving me hope that I'll be able to clean it up once the worst of the food aversions have passed. I guess in the meantime I just do the best I can...

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

This article may help. Food aversions are not something you can control by impulse of will.  Do your best.

I felt nauseated and threw up a lot when I was pregnant. It didn't stop until the girls were born. Like, I was still throwing up the day they were born. Don't beat yourselves up. You're growing a whole other person in there!

• 2 months later...

I am 28 weeks pregnant starting my second whole30 tomorrow, well whole60 this time. I did one back in march but sugar and junk has found it's way back into my life again. I had nausea from 6 weeks till 10 weeks and then kinda just have been trying to get back to paleo since then. I am making a ground turkey hash up tonight with sweet potatoes for breakfasts and I have a meal plan all ready to go. Nausea is starting to come back but could be from the sugar too?

Brittany -- I think the nausea could be from the sugar.  I have felt terrible the past few days after a free-for-all week.  I am chalking it up to the sugar and the gluten, which I've pretty much kept out for a year.  I am starting another Whole 30 next week.  I will be 30 weeks pregnant this Thursday -- due March 12.  I am hoping that going all the way will help me. 

How do you make sweet potato hash?  I end up eating a baked sweet potato with sausage for breakfast because I don't know how to make a good hash! 

Good luck. Hope you're feeling good today.

Archived