Can I have jam with the ingredients Fruit, fruit juice, pectin?

clairezip

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5156 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Chia seeds are marketed as a good source of omega3 fatty acids. They are if you are a cow. Chia seeds include ALA, a form of omega3s that humans cannot convert efficiently to the form of omega3s that our bodies actually use - DHA and EPA. So, chia seeds are a source of calories with little nutritional value. You can have them, but you want them because a marketer misled you about them.  :)

Everything every one else said is true. Smoothies suck and protein powder is not real food. 

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as stuff we have to make do with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at 

Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

•  

I couldn't say whether it was banned or not, but if you ask yourself if it is going to make your more healthy, what's your answer? the only reason you would add this to anything is for sweetness, which is pretty contrary to the Whole 30.

Besides which, that wouldn't be a template meal. Unless you added some chicken on top :)

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

@tacey  It depends on what you're using the jam for... using a bit as an ingredient to glaze a pork roast, fine as long as the ingredients are compliant.  Using it to make some sort of pudding/dessert concoction to mollify a sweet tooth or replace a template meal is not.  

Ok perfect, because Tom Denham said above that we cannot have it all all. I wanted to use the compliant jam to glaze some baked chicken wings. I'm definitely not looking to use it to make dessert-like things though. Thanks for your help!!

Archived