September 14, Anyone?

jessica301

Hi!  Newbie to the forum here.  Recently read about the Whole30 concept and just ordered the book and am excited (and a little nervous) to begin.

Would anyone like to start with me on Sunday, September 14th?  I work normal business hours during the week and wanted to start things off on Sunday so I could have one day under my belt before the workweek commences.

Thanks and good luck to everyone on their journey! :)

Hi There! 

I'm also new to this. I think Sunday the 14th will be a great start day for the both of us! I'm also working Monday-Friday, so Sunday will be a great day to get things going (and also give us enough time to shop, prep and get ready for this!).

I typically try to live a gluten free/dairy free lifestyle. However, lately I've fallen off the wagon (new job, new stressors... and monthly cake day... whaaaat?) and it seems like my will power has gone out the window. I've gained 10lbs despite working out about 4-5 times per week (yoga, running, elliptical training, spin)... something is NOT right.  

I'm hoping that Whole30 will help me get back to my roots! 

Good luck to you as well!

Hi There!

I'd like to start soon as well, but I don't have the book and no one will contact me to help me get started.  I can't just use a shopping list, I need to have a food plan that looks like this: Breakfast (eat this), Lunch (eat this), Dinner (eat this).  Do either of you have that kind of plan for the first 30 days?  After that I think I can start finding my own recipes online right?  Help!  I just started a new job too and I've done other programs that have failed because I fell back into old recipes and old eating habits.

Thanks!

J

@hshlutz Summer was a rough time for me!  I tend to go out a lot more when it's nice out (more happy hours, more yummy appetizers, less willpower!), which is why I think starting mid-September will be good. The days are getting cooler and shorter, and my temptations decline as the weather gets cooler. At least, that's my case. I know that some people tend to carbo-load once the cool temperatures come, but I'm the reverse! I also work in a working environment where there are oodles of carb-ridden goodies in the pantry and we tend to cater our meetings from establishments which the Whole30 program would absolutely frown upon. I need to lose at least 10 pounds as well, mostly from my gut, and hoping this helps. Also feeling pretty sluggish and need to shock my system. Best of luck to you as well.

@jularoons I totally understand where you're coming from. I would love to find something where the meals are all typed out for me too. I think a typical day should probably look like this...advanced peeps please correct me if I am wrong?:

Breakfast: 3 eggs (1 whole, 2 whites) scrambled with spinach in extra virgin olive oil and a side of tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. A cup of black coffee.

Lunch: A palm to two-palmed size of lean protein (salmon or grilled chicken), with 2-3 cups of kale, strawberry, almond salad with no-sugar added balsamic and a pinch of extra virgin olive oil to taste.

Dinner: An idea might be ground turkey sauteed with onions and peppers and steamed spinach with a sweet potato on the side.

Snacks might be a few olives, almonds or berries IF you are really hungry in between.

Looking forward to starting on the 14th with you all.

Welcome to suggestions and meal plans.

I'm starting today -- I've started a thread and checked in with a couple others that are starting today and tomorrow -- would love to check in with you folks if that is alright with you.  I really want to be successful with this -- I'm looking for more of a life-style change than a 30-day run, but I need to find the right lifestyle diet for my needs.

Good luck and fortitude to to you jessica, jula, and h!

Count me in as well! I've actually already completed one 30 days, but fell off the wagon over summer. I am off on Sundays as well, and thought it would be the perfect day to start another whole30 that will hopefully stick this time. :)

@hshlutz- The same happened to me. My boss always bakes and brings in the extras, and I definitely gained a few pounds even though I have a very active job. Yikes!

Good morning!

How is everyone's first day going?

After a day yesterday of carby food (bagel, fries, thai food, ice cream...last hurrah!!), I woke up in a bit of a fog but ready to start this diet.

For breakfast I made 2 whole eggs, 1 white; and I mixed in onions and spinach. I had two tomatoes on the side.

What did everyone else have?

Hope everyone has a good first day.

Jessica

P.S. I did not enjoy taking the "before" photos this morning.

Hi!

My first day is almost over, it went pretty good. For breakfast I had 3 eggs with veggies and bacon. Lunch was a big bowl of roasted pumpkinsoup and for dinner we are having zucchini lasagna. Oh, and I went for a run this morning.

Have a great day!

Today is my first day and I'd love to join you all for some support.  I've read It Starts with Food and looked over a ton of information online.  I did some grocery shopping and seemed to spend more time putting non compliant items back on the shelf than I did putting things in my cart.  But I found things that will work and spent more time and money in the produce department that I ever have before. 

I'm not much of a fruit and veggie eater, and I don't eat red meat or pork so I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting this all figured out.  So far today I've had scrambled eggs and a banana - oh and I had black coffee for the first time.  Then I had 2 clementine's at work and came home for lunch to have a salad with chicken, lettuce (duh!) some cilantro, a few pumpkin seeds and some cabbage.

I'm a little hungry but I'm committed to making this work, hopefully this is the start of a lifestyle change for me.  I hope everyone else is having a successful day today!  WE CAN DO THIS!

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the support and the links to recipes. My husband decided to join me and we started today, Monday.  I'm thrilled I have him to work out recipes with and I had scrambled eggs and roasted sweet potatoes for breakfast.  Lunch is a little scary, I'm taking friend out for Japanese for her birthday, anyone have any suggestions?  I think I can handle it.  Dinner will be pork chop and veggies.

I'm committed and excited!

Hi everyone.  I started my second Whole30 yesterday with you  B) .  My sister started yesterday too, and this is her 3rd Whole30. She's been living mostly compliant for the last two years. I did my first Whole30 in July, finished in August.  ISWF is the first digital book I've ever paid money for, and then I bought the email subscription that got me through the first 30 days.  We traveled to Seattle together during that time, so it was super easy to be compliant on vacation, supporting each other.  It was her suggestion that got me started on my first Whole30, and again to do this second round.  My sister is so awesome- she made sure Mom bought me a paper copy of ISWF for my birthday, and sis bought me a big spiralizer too.  (Best sister ever!) 

Between August and now, I have not reintroduced much.  I'm still scared to try anything that's not compliant.  I have felt so good, and don't want that to change!  I can actually count on one hand the number of things that I ate over the last couple of weeks that aren't Whole30 approved. 

Popcorn = Food without Brakes, I cannot keep this in my daily life.  

Corn on the Cob = not so bad.  Didn't notice physical side effects, and will probably eat when I'm not doing a Whole30 in the future.  It was even delicious without butter all over it.  I didn't reintro any dairy, see above, I'm a big chicken!

Fried chicken = Saturday night.  No obvious side effects, other than the guilt over eating too much protein at a meal. 

Coleslaw, again on Saturday night.  I know the dressing had sugar as the coleslaw was bought at a grocery store.  Thankfully, I didn't feel any physical effects, but don't plan to continue eating it.  I much prefer my cabbage braised with apple juice/apple cider vinegar.

Chips from Chipolte on Friday.  I had the carnitas on lettuce (aka salad) but couldn't resist the chips.  Ugh.  They weren't even as tasty as I remembered, no longer nicknamed crack chips, but I did feel like I needed to eat the whole bag.  For no reason, other than they were there!  Double UGH.  I'm not sure if their Guacamole is compliant or not, but I did eat a bunch of that without guilt, since I wasn't on a Whole30 at the time.  I had a big old bellyache later from overeating (and maybe from the guac?).

Goals for my 2nd Whole30:

Learning how to make more Paleo, Whole30 approved food.  Homemade mayo and Zoodles are on top of that list.  I'm stuck in a huge food rut right now, and although I love what I'm eating, I need to slap some variety in there to be sure I don't get bored.

Continue leading by example. My 15 year old daughter sees the way my new way of eating has made me feel better, and I've lost weight.  She has tried a few of my meals and while not 100% on board to stop eating Frankenfood, she is starting to see how real food is best.  Also - our Mom is trying to do a modified Whole30.  I say modified because she doesn't eat enough (thinks 2 eggs is enough protein at a meal), and isn't counting the days.  I also think she's probably relying on fruit more than she should, because she doesn't eat a lot of different kinds of veggies.

Keep kicking diabetes ass.  I've been able to reduce the amount of one diabetes medication that I'm taking. I'm eager to see how my A1C and cholesterol numbers look when it's time to visit the doctor again.

Keep feeling good.  I didn't want to kill everyone when my cycle started, and stress at work didn't put me into a tailspin like it has in the past.  Victory!

Stop eating so much Fruit and Larabars.  Being diabetic, occasionally I need a quick fix when my sugar is getting low and I've got the shakes.  I see this as an OK use of Larabars.  But having one mid-morning because I feel hungry is NOT a good way to eat Larabars.  Same goes for the apple I've been eating every day at 10:30-11:00 am.  If it's been 4-5 hours since Meal1, I need to train myself that it's perfectly OK to eat Meal2.  There's no reason to think I have to wait all the way until 12:30 for Meal2.  Need to listen to my body better.

Ok that's enough for now.  My biggest advice to all of you first-timers:  Memorize the template. Paste it to your fridge, make a little copy for your purse.  And remember that a proper serving size is 4 Eggs:wub:

Four eggs is the proper serving size?  I have been doing 3 with a couple of sides so far. 

It's been a real challenge for me sticking to 3 meals no snacks. Normally I'm one to want to munch on some coconut chips, cashew nuts, or have a yogurt with banana around 3:30-4 in the afternoon. Trying to stick it out without eating again until dinner (6:30/7).

I have trained myself to become a morning workout person and I find it is probably best with this plan. At least in the beginning when the body is going through a lot of change. I was tired by the early evening last night and just wanted to curl up and watch some good tv.

Also -- I need simple, tasty recipes to make... that burst with flavor. I made a salad yesterday out of kale, tuna with French's mustard, and a heaping of vegetables. Just a little lemon and EVOO as a dressing. It was kind of a bust! I think I need to prep the approved mayo to add more flavor once I am not starving and have a few minutes.

It is hard for me to want to cook or make anything elaborate when I'm already feeling quite hungry doing so.

How is everyone else doing so far?

Cheers to making it almost through day 2!

Breakfast: 3 eggs (1 whole, 2 whites) scrambled with spinach in extra virgin olive oil and a side of tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste. A cup of black coffee.

Lunch: A palm to two-palmed size of lean protein (salmon or grilled chicken), with 2-3 cups of kale, strawberry, almond salad with no-sugar added balsamic and a pinch of extra virgin olive oil to taste.

Dinner: An idea might be ground turkey sauteed with onions and peppers and steamed spinach with a sweet potato on the side.

Snacks might be a few olives, almonds or berries IF you are really hungry in between.

I'm in no way qualified to comment, but this is the Internet so I feel compelled to do so anyway!  :wacko:

Why don't you just eat all 3 eggs?  Why break them down into 1 whole plus 2 whites?

You need to eat some Fat at every meal (avocado, olives).  That will help make you feel full so you don't feel like snacking between meals. The oil you cook with generally stays in the pan, so doesn't usually amount to much getting into your meal.  [The extra pinch of EVOO on the salad is great - I have found that I like the taste of "light-tasting" olive oil a million times better on salad, compared to EVOO which tends to be quite strong.]

p.s. your Dinner sounds delicious and I wish I was having that right now!

@mamakitty -- lesson learned. I used 3 whole eggs this morning and it was much more satisfying! Plus, the sweet potato filled me up more than a couple tomato slices.

Thanks for the tip about the extra fat source...I thought the oil in the pan counted as something, but you make a valid point!!

ETA: I decided to try not to drink any coffee either (I normally drink 5 cups/day). I am afraid coffee will spike cravings so am doing my best to avoid it. Does anyone know if whole30 says anything about foregoing the morning black coffee if you have a caffeine addiction?

On a side note I quit smoking a week prior to beginning this diet so I think I'm having extra withdrawal symptoms with this! But I can only hope it gets better.

Day three almost over -- I had less detox reactions today.  Day one was actually the hardest for me so far.  Today was the first day back at work and it went surprisingly well.  I'm heading into the supposed "Kill all the Things" days tomorrow -- so I've warned my workmates :)

I have major health issues and am looking more for a lifestyle diet that works than just a "reboot" -- I found a buddy to do a 60 day round with, so that is what I intend to do -- I totally relate to your hesitation to add things back, mamakitty -- when I make it through 60 days, I think I'll be very cautious too.

I woke up this morning with the intention to work out, but I had to snooze. I was so exhausted -- definitely experiencing "the hangover" of day three as the creators indicated would happen.

Has anyone else experienced this feeling today?

I am going to do my best not to stress out about resting when my body still feels tired. I used to use caffeine as a solution whenever I felt sleepy in the mornings in order to wake up and get my workout going, but I have to learn that it is important to listen to real cues and not replace them with chemicals.

It doesn't help that it's raining today. I want to be home under the covers!

Hi everyone! 

I'm Jen, and I also started on 9/14.  This is my 3rd or 4th Whole 30, though I have planned to go a Whole 60 this time, with Rebecca.  Thought I'd join this thread, at least for the first 30 days, if that's ok.

It's been interesting for me so far- and different from before.  I'm having a slightly harder time this time, because I haven't prepped really well.  AND, I've been in the emergency room with my 13 year old son today and yesterday.  Yesterday we thought he might have broken his arm (he didn't) and today because a kid whacked him in the head with a door and he got a concussion.  Sheesh!  Hence, both days meant that I skipped a meal, and ended up feeling famished.  Normally, these would be "drive through" nights.  So thought I got home and snacked on nuts while I cooked dinner after both of these events, I *did* stay compliant with the foods I ended up eating.  A little more snacky than normal, but considering ...... I'll take it.

I also started back exercising this morning with a TRX class.  I work at a YMCA and have access to this whole gym and all these classes, which I haven't used for a really long time.  Thought this would be the perfect time.  It was hard, and I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow.  I did have an after workout snack of a hard boiled egg and an apple. 

Anyway, I'm going to pull out my copy of It Starts with Food, and try to get more motivation for getting everything planned.  I did bake up some chicken thighs this evening to store in the fridge, along with my hard boiled eggs, so I have easy protein to grab when needed.

I am home tomorrow with my concussed son, before he goes back to the doctor for a re-check, so eating shouldn't be too challenging tomorrow.  I *must* start packing food for work though! Not doing that is like setting myself up for failure!

Thanks all. I've got to figure out what's going on with my profile picture?  Can you see it?  It's in my profile set up, but I can't see it on my posts.... hmmmm...

Jen

Hey Jenny -- good grief!  I hope your son is doing well and heals quickly. Congrats on staying compliant with the food in such a challenging situation. :)

p.s -- I do see your posts and your profile picture.

Jessica -- I think it's great that you are listening to your body.

I'm really looking forward to doing a Whole 60.  Today wasn't quite "Kill all the things" but I did feel very sluggish.  I don't have a lot of time for cooking during the week, so I tend to have a lot of the same meals, or have a dish for several days in a row.  I think I'm OK with that, but we'll see how bored I get as the days go on.

How is everybody else doing?

Jenny, it's commendable that you've stayed Whole30 compliant through all of this. I hope your son feels better soon and heals quickly. I also see your photo!

Rebecca, thank you, I'm trying. Today is day 4 aka "Kill all the things" day...oddly enough, though, I feel pretty energized today and not as lethargic as yesterday...then again, yesterday was stressful at work and the weather was pretty yucky...so that could be it too. Whole 60 is a fantasic idea! I do not know if I could do that long as my birthday falls in the beginning of November and I have friends in town for Halloween weekend. I plan to keep the principles of this diet for the most part and see how the "forbidden" items feel post-whole 30 when I try the reintegration.

I also don't have much creativity / time for cooking during the week. My go-to dinner has been spaghetti squash with a little EVOO, topped with ground turkey, tomato sauce (organic, whole30 approved), basil, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. I make a batch of it to last a few days. Cooking every night is not an option. What about you? Any easy dinner ideas you've made?

For everyone on the board, have you made anything for breakfast besides eggs? I'm getting tired of them! I don't like the idea of dinner stuff for breakfast either...any suggestions?

Hope you all are having a good day.

My go-to meals all have the same base ingredients: roasted diced sweet potatoes or yams, mushrooms, spinach, onions, sweet peppers. 

If it's Meal 1 I will throw in chopped olives and 4 eggs; either fried, or whisked & cooked as an omelette.

For Meal 2 it's meat for protein.  I add extra veggies like brocc, cauli, asparagus, carrots, brussels sprouts - all of it works here for me.  My fat is olives eaten straight out of the can with a fork - hobo style.  I really like to buy Aidell's chicken-apple sausage in the 3-pack from Costco for lunches.  Most of the time 1 sausage is enough, but sometimes if I'm super hungry I'll use 2. 

For Meal 3 it's the same as Meal 2 - except with 1/2 an avocado instead of olives, stirred into the mix.  And a lot of time for a little change I will stir in some compliant salsa.  I found that I like avocado only when they are diced up, warm, and smooshed.  My husband eats cold avocado chunks, but I can't stomach them that way. Well I don't know what my stomach thinks because my tongue won't let them go past.  :huh:

Today my Meal 2 is steak, 1/2 avocado, roasted diced yams, & asparagus. Yesterday I had the same thing, and was FAMISHED by the time I went home 4 hours later.  I'm not quite sure what I'll do today.  I think I'll run to the grocery store and pick up some more veggies. Or eat an apple, but I'm trying to avoid that becoming a daily habit for this time around.

jessica301, poke around on the Forums, especially in Troubleshooting - you'll find a lot of threads of people tired of eggs, and others suggesting alternative meals. I hope you find some answers there - best of luck!

Yes! I definitely felt the "hangover." I've typically been working out in the mornings and lately, I'm sleeping until I absolutely have to wake up. 

The first couple of days I definitely struggled with snacking. I've had a bit of fruit and nuts here and there in between meals. Does this mean I have to start over? Is snacking like a complete NO-NO or it's just like... "try to refrain"? 

Today has definitely been better! Drinking a lot more water and tea. Did NOT snack between breakfast and lunch today and definitely added more protein to my breakfast this morning to help keep me feeling full longer. 

Breakfast -- hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado and 1 organic chicken sausage (from one of the brands in the "approved" list). 

I woke up this morning with the intention to work out, but I had to snooze. I was so exhausted -- definitely experiencing "the hangover" of day three as the creators indicated would happen.

Has anyone else experienced this feeling today?

I am going to do my best not to stress out about resting when my body still feels tired. I used to use caffeine as a solution whenever I felt sleepy in the mornings in order to wake up and get my workout going, but I have to learn that it is important to listen to real cues and not replace them with chemicals.

It doesn't help that it's raining today. I want to be home under the covers!

Jessica -- I don't have a lot of time to cook during the week, either! But Sundays are my cooking/meal prep days. 

I've been eating things like zucchini pesto pasta (julianne peeler is my favorite kitchen tool) with grilled chicken OR stuffed bell pepper soup (bell peppers, lean organic ground beef, onions, potatoes, tomatoes), baked sweet potato with ghee and sea salt. Also incorporating green juices (homemade -- kale, cucumber, celery, carrot, lemon and ginger). 

Need to start researching more recipes. I have a feeling I'll be getting bored if I continue to eat the same things every week. Gotta spice it up! I found some GREAT options through Pinterest, actually. 

As I mentioned earlier, the toughest part for me is snacking. By around 5pm I'm SO hungry... and usually not home for another 2-3 hours. 

I did survive the "restaurant" challenge, however! Was able to get them to simplify some menu options for me and remove sauces and butter. Ended up with steamed veggies and grilled chicken while my family indulged in brown fried rice :-| ... it was still delicious! And I actually felt sustainably full all afternoon. Amazing what a lil' protein can do. 

In the beginning of the year, I wasn't eating any meat (I'd been on and off Veg for a while). For what I thought were for "health" reasons. I'm learning so much on this process... and how good animal protein is for us and our bodies. 

Archived