New Mommy's First Whole30

phisigamber

Hi there! My name is Amber and I am currently on Day 2 of my very first Whole30.

Since having my daughter back in May, my diet has slowly spiraled out of control. While I enjoyed my time off of work, I found that being at home led to lots of boredom snacking, which eventually led to late-night binge eating. The more junk I ate, the more I craved. I felt like I NEEDED dessert every single night and the end result was always the same --- going to bed feeling bloated, miserable, and depressed. Day after day, I promised myself that I would start fresh in the morning, and day after day, I would wake up with no plan of action and end up eating whatever was readily available (usually some sort of sugar-laden "energy" bar). 

I started reading about ways to kick my sugar addiction, and eventually came across the Whole30 website. I spent the next week reading It Starts With Food, cleaning out my cupboards and preparing to start my first Whole30. My husband agreed to join me, and since his birthday is the 10th of next month, we thought it would be fun to wrap up our 30 days in time for some birthday sushi.  :) 

Here's a little bit on how things are going so far:

Day One

What I ate

Breakfast - Omelette (2 eggs, spinach, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno and one slice of bacon), 12 oz black coffee.

Lunch - Can of tuna and salad (chopped romaine, bell pepper, tomato, jalapeno, 1/2 an avocado, homemade balsamic/olive oil dressing)

Dinner - Salmon (pan fried in coconut oil spray, drizzled with EVOO and fresh herbs), 1 small white potato, steamed asparagus.

How I felt

For the most part, I felt really good! I wish I would have remembered to work some fruit into my diet. I was a bit hungry an hour or so before dinner, but fairly satisfied other than that. Around 8:00pm I started to have a headache and by 9:30 I decided to go to bed.

Day Two

What I ate

Breakfast - Omelette (2 eggs, spinach, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, and 4 mini chicken & apple sausages), plum, 16 oz black coffee.

Lunch - Grilled chicken salad with chopped romaine, pico de gallo, 1/2 an avocado, fresh-squeezed lemon.

Dinner - Meatballs (ground beef, onion, garlic, tomato paste, salt & pepper, coconut flour, baking soda, sauteed in coconut oil), roasted spaghetti squash (with salt & EVOO), Rao's marinara sauce. 

How I'm Feeling

Like crap. My head has been pounding since I woke up. To be fair, I was woken up at 2:30am by a hungry baby, so it's possible that I'm just very sleep deprived. Not very interested in food today, but going through the motions. Missing my Diet Pepsi like crazy. I'm planning to hit the hay early tonight and pray that tomorrow will be a better day.

So, it turns out that I am a much better Whole30er than I am blogger.

I know it's been a few days since I last checked in, but my husband and I are still going strong. I'm not going to lie --- there have been some rough moments. The headaches were the worst part for me, but thankfully short-lived. Today makes Day 7, and I am already noticing a significant increase in energy. My husband, who has taken heartburn medication on an almost daily basis for the past 6 years, hasn't had a single episode of heartburn since we began our Whole30. Pretty exciting stuff.

I'm so glad that this program has forced me back into the kitchen. To my surprise, I'm finding that I actually enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes. There is just something so satisfying about preparing a meal that you don't get from running through a drive-thru.

On a not-so-happy note, my face started to break out around Day 4 and it's still looking pretty bad. I'm hoping it's one of those things where it has to get worse before it can get better. 

I'll try and update you all again soon. Until then, keep on keepin' on! :)

Archived