I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has tried Whole30 and has Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (also known as Hereditary Spastic Paraparesis, Familial Spastic Paraplegias, French Settlement Disease, or Strumpell-Lorrain Disease).

HSP is caused by defects in the mechanisms that transport proteins and other substances through the cell. Long nerves are affected because they have to transport cellular material through long distances, and are particularly sensitive to defects of cellular transport. The longest nerves in our bodies go from our brains down our legs and this is where the disease first hits. The disease causes muscle spasms, loss of feeling in the legs, and eventually loss of use of the legs. 

A loved one of mine has HSP. After reading It Starts with Food, I am very interested in hearing if eating the Whole30 way has helped anyone with HSP. 

Val 

My husband has Primary Lateral Sclerosis, considered to be related to HSP. Although I would love for him to do a true Whole30, he has at least cleaned up his diet considerably in the past few years and it seems to have helped slow the progression of his disease. While other people we know are at about the same age post-diagnosis, many of them are in wheelchairs while my husband can still mostly get around with a walker. 

Archived