Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce

motovilova

• 1 month later...

Here's an approved recipe for you all to use until you know about the Coconut Secret teriyaki. Im sure I didnt pick it up at the store bc it says nectar on the bottle. This wont have the sweetness if you take out the honey, but aren't we all trying to prevent that craving anyhow?

Orange "Teriyaki" Sauce

2/3 cup fresh orange juice (juice of 2 navel oranges)

2 tsp. grated ginger

1/4 cup coconut aminos

1 Tbls apple cider vinegar

1 clove crushed garlic

1 Tbls honey (take the honey out for whole30)

In a saucepan, add coconut amino's grated ginger, garlic, honey, vinegar and fresh orange juice. Bring to a simmer and reduce until sauce coats the back of a spoon. It will simmer for about 10 minutes and then start to watch it closely. It will start to foam and bubble as it is reducing and almost ready. You want the sauce to be the consistency of maple syrup. It will be thinner without the honey. **If you are having a smidge of dried fruit on your Whole30, puree everything in the blender with 2-3 dates before putting in the sauce pan.

Also, I found this .GARLIC sauce!!!..it does not claim 'nectar' anywhere on the bottle so Im guessing its as good as the aminos. Someone confirm?  

post-68565-0-73997200-1430845418_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

The latest on the official word on Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce: The teriyaki sauce is out...for now. From what we can tell, they use unfermented sap along with the fermented sap.  The unfermented sap makes it non-compliant.

• 7 months later...

Drat. bought this in the store because the ingredient list was the same as the aminos, used it in dinner tonight on day 2. didn't think to double check until I looked at the bottle later and saw the 'nectar' bit on the front. boo.

• Moderators

Drat. bought this in the store because the ingredient list was the same as the aminos, used it in dinner tonight on day 2. didn't think to double check until I looked at the bottle later and saw the 'nectar' bit on the front. boo.

Phooey!

Whole32? I'll hang in the extra two days with you :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, 

I know this post is really old but I was wondering of there was ever a definitive answer? I have this and have been using it, thinking it was compliant because the ingredient list is ok :(

Thanks 

Sorry, I've just seen the update. Damn, damn, damn, damn and damn.

The latest on the official word on Coconut Secret Teriyaki Sauce: The teriyaki sauce is out...for now. From what we can tell, they use unfermented sap along with the fermented sap.  The unfermented sap makes it non-compliant.

The official answer came through the moderator. Sorry but it's out for now. It was posted above.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny I just saw the teriyaki sauce the other day. Even though I used to enjoy teriyaki dishes, I didn't have a craving to buy the bottle to recreate. I'd always found restaurant versions too sweet and it was just a handy dish to eat now and again.

Playing devil's advocate (is anybody listening anyway since this post is so old..) - Surely if it was compliant, it would just be SWYPO, as it's trying to recreate a sweet craving in a savoury dish?  :ph34r:

On another note, I find coconut aminos a disappointing substitute for soy sauce. Much too sweet/watery...though I'd guess, this alone with some spices rendered down could be a teriyaki substitute already?

• Moderators

Playing devil's advocate (is anybody listening anyway since this post is so old..) - Surely if it was compliant, it would just be SWYPO, as it's trying to recreate a sweet craving in a savoury dish?  :ph34r:

No, sorry, if it's not fermented then it has sugar (coconut sap) in it, which would make it non compliant as no sugar is allowed.

I don't think it would be SWYPO... unless you specifically had an ongoing issue with sweet/savory or teriyaki... if not, then it's just another flavor but unfortunately it's not compliant anyway.

Archived