Day 12 and I WANT TO QUIT!

Hi all,

This is my first time posting although I have been reading through the forum since I started 12 days ago. 

I started Whole30 because I am always exhausted, no energy, and have digestive issues and muscle pain. Before today I felt pretty decent and it hasn't been too hard to follow Whole30.

Then came today - Day 12. 

I feel like s**t. I am exhausted, my brain is hazy, I have no energy, I feel flushed and I am so grumpy. I have been emotional and hormonal (which is sort of strange for me). I am not really craving anything or feeling this way because I miss pizza or ice cream - I just FEEL THIS WAY and I hate it.

Has anyone else felt this way on Day 12? I feel like I want to quit because it's almost like I continue to feel worse as each day goes on. I wasn't particularly unhealthy before Whole30 - I did eat pizza occasionally, but most meals we had a protein and veggies (but did have 100% whole wheat bread and brown rice). I never drink milk but did eat cheese (before Whole30). 

I will finish out Whole30 as I am not a quitter but is there some Tiger Blood in my future? I am tired of being tired, crabby, and hormonal. I went on Whole30 to STOP feeling that way and I feel worse than before! I have also been sleeping SUPER poorly the last few nights (can't fall asleep, have a hard time getting up for work). 

I think I just need some support and encouragement to get out of this slump.

Thank you :)
xo

Dana

Hi,

This is Day 12 for me too, and I can't say I'm over the moon, but I'm trying to be patient. I've also had what I thought was a healthy diet before - but with lots of grains and soy. I'm assuming that my body is doing lots of internal and 'silent' healing work. Whatever has got it so confused as to be causing auto-immune inflammation (and, yes, debilitating exhaustion) for the last two years is not going to be sorted out in just 12 days. So I'm treating this as more than just a 30 day re-set, but as a way of learning and assimilating a new way of eating and being. The ego/mind resists anything new, and this is challenging on lots of different levels. 

When you are having trouble going to sleep, concentrate on your breath. Lie flat on your back and let your feet fall open. Relax your tummy, and observe the rise and fall of your belly as you inhale and exhale. Don't control the breath at all, just let it be natural. Then, start counting it backwards. Start at, say, 21. 'Inhale 21, Exhale 21, Inhale 20, Exhale 20, Inhale 19...' etc. Really concentrate on this. If you get to zero, start again. If you make a mistake, start again. If you drift off into your thoughts, come back and start again. You'll drop off to sleep in no time. :)

Buona notte,

A

It's just part of your detox I should think. Just roll with it. Drink loads of water and green tea too is helpful. Remember the timeline is only a guideline for the majority of people. I have found that one day I'm good the next not so, but I don't think on it too much. I just make sure I follow the meal template very closely. Also take naps. That's if you can of course. Sleep is very important when on the whole 30. I have found that if I nap my sleep in the night is much deeper. If you can't nap, take time to be still and quiet. I hope these bad feelings pass for you soon. It is not nice when you are hoping for tiger blood and you are still struggling. Again make sure you drink lots of water! And don't forget those potatoes! They helped me a lot.

By the way I wouldn't give up. In actual fact I would keep going even it means going more than 30 days. Don't think of days think of how you feel. Then continue to your 30 days or to whatever days you need til you get that feeling. I know what your wanting and trust me it comes! Just keep plodding and try if you can not to let yourself get upset about it. Light some candles, listen to some nice music and if you need to cry, well cry! All part of the detox. Have a look at doing some yoga too. Yoga has been a powerful tool in helping me through this lifestyle changeover. For some reason the two seem to go hand in hand.

Let us know when you get that tiger blood or even an energy shift! It will happen. :-)

It's just part of your detox I should think. Just roll with it. Drink loads of water and green tea too is helpful. Remember the timeline is only a guideline for the majority of people. I have found that one day I'm good the next not so, but I don't think on it too much. I just make sure I follow the meal template very closely. Also take naps. That's if you can of course. Sleep is very important when on the whole 30. I have found that if I nap my sleep in the night is much deeper. If you can't nap, take time to be still and quiet. I hope these bad feelings pass for you soon. It is not nice when you are hoping for tiger blood and you are still struggling. Again make sure you drink lots of water! And don't forget those potatoes! They helped me a lot.

By the way I wouldn't give up. In actual fact I would keep going even it means going more than 30 days. Don't think of days think of how you feel. Then continue to your 30 days or to whatever days you need til you get that feeling. I know what your wanting and trust me it comes! Just keep plodding and try if you can not to let yourself get upset about it. Light some candles, listen to some nice music and if you need to cry, well cry! All part of the detox. Have a look at doing some yoga too. Yoga has been a powerful tool in helping me through this lifestyle changeover. For some reason the two seem to go hand in hand.

Let us know when you get that tiger blood or even an energy shift! It will happen. :-)

Good one, Tanya.  Those tips really work.

Thank you all so much for the replies! I've been feeling gradually better the last few days (I'm on Day 17 tomorrow!).

I'm going to sleep now but tomorrow I'll post some food logs and maybe you all could help me figure out if there are any "holes" in my diet.

I appreciate all of your feedback. I hit a rough patch and needed to get it out so I didn't do something dumb like eat an entire pizza!!

I'll be back tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my Whole30 yesterday. Lost 9 lbs and generally feeling pretty good. Cravings have diminished greatly and my bursitis is a lot better. Sleep however has been a problem throughout for me as well. I eat sweet potatoes almost every night. No caffeine, exercise about 45 minutes a day and started taking Magnesium about 4 nights ago and still I wake up several times a night. Generally I sleep deep for 2 or 3 hours and the rest of the night is fitful sleep at best. Thinking I would be feeling that tiger blood if I could just get a good nights sleep. 

Archived