Cholesterol

elgn23

Hi everyone. 

First, let me say that my husband and I have already completed our first whole30 [ a few months ago ] and are starting our second one on monday. We never ate terrible before discovering whole30. Since our first round, we have eaten a clean, paleo diet. we still follow the whole30 guidelines for food proportions and I feel like we eat balanced meals. We still watch our carb intake a bit because we'd both like to lose a few more pounds. My husband in particular is very active with running and crossfit 5-6 days a week. Both of our employers require a wellness program for discounts on health insurance. My bloodwork showed that my TOTAL cholesterol was a bit high, but I have read the current research on cholesterol and it did not concern me. My husband's bloodwork was a shock and I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not. His total cholesterol level was normal [181], but his triglycerides were [261!] HDL was [49] and VLDL was high at [52]. I know you can't determine anything from one round of bloodwork, but he is feeling discouraged. I have read a lot of other posts and although many people say their total is high, most everyone sees a decrease in triglycerides. Any advice? I'm scared to send him to a doc, I really don't want them to talk him into a statin drug. 

Thanks!

• Moderators

Hmm. My total cholesterol is 224, but my triglycerides are 45. Your husband's triglycerides are way too high. By the way, I eat 3 jumbo eggs every morning and have for years. And I eat plenty of other "healthy" fats, so no matter what doctors say, eating less healthy fats as defined by the Whole30 is not the answer. :)

WebMD has a good overview article: http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/tc/high-triglycerides-treatment-overview

Archived