Whole30 backpacking trip

higs

I'm gearing up for a Whole30 backpacking trip next weekend and have been scouring the forum and backpacking websites for meal ideas.  What I've come up with is pretty kluged together, but everything tastes good in the mountains, right?  I don't have a food dehydrator or I'd get fancier.  I'm only going three days so I'm carrying more weight than I'd like with these food choices, but the trip out will be lighter.  Hiking will be around 6-8 miles/day, with 2000' elevation gain the first day (and 2000' decline on the third day, when I'll be happy to have a lighter pack).

My day 30 of the Whole30 is the first day of the trip, so I am allowing some trace sugars and corn starch that come in a couple of the items so I know I'm not 100% compliant.  

Breakfasts:  Epic bar*, green tea, 2 baby food packets (sweet potato/apple or blueberry/carrot/pear), avocado

Lunches/snacks:  Tanka bites*, apple, sunflower butter, trail mix with nuts and coconut flakes, lara bar, plantain chips

Dinners: Fishpeople dinner pouch*, dried fruit, rooibos tea, freeze dried veggie sticks, tin of oysters or sardines

Epic bars:  

https://www.epicbar.com (the bison one is not compliant)

Tanka bites:

http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf/public/product-tankabite-intro.cvw (note these have sugar)

Fishpeople meal pouch:

http://www.fishpeopleseafood.com/products (albacore versions have sugar, canola oil and corn starch)

I'm lucky that I can get all these at local (Portland, OR) grocery stores.

I would love any feedback anyone has.  Enough food?  Too much?

Higs - I know your options are limited but I'm concerned many of your food choices are foods without brakes. Canned tuna is a good option.  If possible, replace some of the dried fruit/larabars with another piece of fresh fruit.  Baby food packets - are they available in a mixture of protein/veggie?  Make sure you eat enough and stay hydrated.  Just as important, have a wonderful weekend.  Enjoy every step.

Higs - I know your options are limited but I'm concerned many of your food choices are foods without brakes. 

Laurie, I would be right there with you if this were any other sort of trip or outing, but when you are backpacking, the context is quite different. Backpacking takes a lot of fuel and those lara bars will help with pure caloric density if nothing else. Keeping fruit in good shape to eat and carrying it on the trip (it is VERY heavy, surprisingly) may be a deal breaker.

Higs- I have had good luck carrying hardboiled eggs on a 2- to 3- day trip (longer did not work out well...) if it isn't too hot out where you are going you might want to consider that. It's hard to know quantities based on your list, but overall it looks fairly well balanced for backpacking food. I would throw a couple extra epic bars into your pack and maybe a coconut butter packet or two.

Thank you both for your feedback!  I have a little carton of sweet potato soup that I was thinking of bringing for breakfast, but it's quite heavy.  I might tuck it in after I load my pack if the extra weight isn't too much.  Eggs are a great idea but I think it's going to be quite hot.  I haven't been able to find any freeze dried eggs that aren't loaded with non compliant extras.  I have never tried the coconut butter packets - just googled them and they look perfect (I'd bring that instead of avocado).  Hopefully I can find some around here.

I was at Walmart the other day and saw an enormous display of emergency rations that included lots of freeze dried veggies and so on.  It looked gross, and yet compliant.  The quantities (71 servings??) were way too much for what I need, though.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to chime in on the hard-boiled egg suggestion.

I live in Europe and all hard-boiled eggs you can buy in the store are kept out at room temperature, no issues. They are actually labelled 'picnic eggs'.  This is because they 'seal' the eggs with pretty paint. The eggshell is porous after washed (or boiled) but if you seal it with vaseline or some non-porous lacquer type substance it's good for a really long time at room temperature. Experiment with this at home before your trip because hard eggs are truly a great Whole30 hiking food!

Archived