Disappointed at Whole Foods

KayKay

We don't have a Whole Foods in my city, but yesterday we took the kids on a day trip and were going to be beside a WF. I've enjoyed their salad/hot food bar before, knew dish ingredients were well displayed, and assumed it would have lots of option for me on my W30. Wrong.

Almost everything was cooked in either canola or soybean oil! There wasn't a single, plain protein option for me. I ended up with a giant salad with some steamed veggies and balsamic vinegar. Thankfully I had packed a couple boiled eggs for the day, so I ate those afterwards. But disappointing to say the least!

When dining out canola oil IS allowed.  I know your frustration, though, about their cooking oils. I have written them a note about it, as well. It will take a long time to change conventional wisdom that canola oil is not healthy.  

We were at Whole Foods yesterday and same thing! Their chicken thighs with broccoli had wheat on them because of the soy sauce they used in the dish! AND all of their vegetables are cooked with canola oil or have soybean oil.....very frustrating for a company that promotes health really isn't all that healthy. 

Whole Foods is more a marketing organization than a store that leads the way in health.  They follow mass market perception of leading edge health generated by whatever lobby buys out the medical associations.  They remain vegan-centric because they're afraid to alienate that base, even though their grass fed meat selection continues to expand and their seafood section rivals a nearby specialty market.

The other down side to Whole Foods is that since everything in their store has an implied perception of quality to many shoppers, they can jack up the prices on the whole place and no single price seems out of place.  At the market I visit daily, the organic (etc...) items are placed next to the conventional so shoppers can make a semi-informed comparison. I often make price decisions for produce other than the Dirty Dozen.

I know what you mean; we ate at Whole Foods after church today because at least I know what I'm eating - I appreciate that they list all of the ingredients of each item at the salad bars.  That said, my only real option was a salad with chicken and veggies topped with olive oil.  Oh, and some lovely strawberries.  I did covet my Dad's plate, though...

As for the grocery items...I do buy grassfed beef and cage free pastured eggs there, but I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.  The selection might be smaller, but the prices are better and most of Whole Foods' "variety" isn't Whole30 compliant anyway.  I agree with Sleeve about their seeming vegan-centric.  Sometimes I feel like I'm being judged by the checkout person because of my basket of mostly animal products...

• Moderators

I love Whole Foods. Because of their existence, other grocery stores have begun to carry more healthy options, at least in my area (MidAtlantic). I like that I can buy grass-fed meats, pastured eggs, and sustainably-fished tuna there (or I can buy the cheaper options which they also carry). I can get coconut aminos, more exotic ingredients like green curry paste and all kinds of veggies that still can't be found in my neighborhood store.

That being said, it is disappointing about the canola oil in the hot food bar. Keep voting with your dollars and letting them know via the suggestion box or what have you, and eventually we will have Whole30 options everywhere!

I work at Whole Foods and have trouble eating compliant things there.  However, at my store we have a few meats at the deli which are compliant, so sometimes I will get one of those and a huge salad with olive oil.  It's expensive though, even with the 20% employee discount!   :lol:

Another way to get compliant protein at WF is to buy cocktail shrimp, steamed shrimp from the pub (if your store has one), or ask a fishmonger to steam the shrimp in their steamer.   ;)

Archived