A mindful Whole30

fastd

This will be my third Whole30 this year. So far, each Whole30 I've done has been completely different.

My first Whole30 was in January. I was coming off an absolutely horrible end to 2013, and knew that something had to change. At that point, the only thing I had NOT tried changing in my life was my diet (by that I mean, while I have gone on lots of restrictive "diets," until the Whole30 I had never experimented with food quality). I had taken anti-depressants, exercised obsessively, practiced meditation - you name it - but had never tried changing the food on my plate. 

That first Whole30 absolutely changed my life. I felt like a different person. In consultation with my doctor, I went off my antidepressants for the first time in 5 years. I also resolved a slew of GI issues, and lost a bit of weight. 

After it was over, I tried to transition back into an "all things in moderation" approach. It didn't work. Psychologically, I continued to have an unhealthy relationship with food, including episodes of binge eating.

So, I did another Whole30 in May. Again, my results were phenomenal. This time around, I was already on a real fitness kick, which I kept up through the 30 days. I learned not to rely so much on nuts, dried fruit and Larabars (which I had consumed a lot of during my first Whole30). Instead, I started making myself balanced pre- and post-workout snacks. I lost quite a bit of weight this time, in addition to seeing all the positive changes in my mood, sleep, GI tract, etc. 

But again, after that second Whole30 ended, I was eventually drawn back into the various pitfalls of my unhealthy psychological relationship with food. Things seem to have gotten really bad again, even though I now know what works so well for me.

This time around, my goal is to combine the principles of the Whole30 with a focus on bringing mindfulness and joy to cooking and treating my body well each and every day. I hope that this mindfulness will help me to feel anchored in making more healthy choices, more often, once the program is over - as opposed to making "perfect" choices every day for 30 days, and "being bad" once the program is over. I don't have it all figured out by a long shot, but I do know that there is something in the way I think about food and eating that needs to change. 

Day 1 

Success! Despite feeling really rotten this morning and throughout most of the day (probably as a result of all the crap I've been eating over the past week), I stuck with the program and ended the day by cooking a really nice dinner for my family. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and tried to bring awareness to how the food I prepared was nourishing my body and setting me up for a better day tomorrow.

I liked your post and I think being mindful is important.  This is my first Whole30 but I have been paleo for the past 2 years but with lots of paleo treats and straight out binge eating on horrible food.  It really is a choice you make each day and although eating this way requires lots of meal planning, it really is one day at a time and at some point, I am hopeful, that the treats or salt or alcohol or all of the above, lose their hold.  That going through this "cleanse" and noticing changes for the better, will stop me when I think I have to have a handful of potato chips.  

Great job in starting on your 3rd WHole30 and making changes so it works even better for you.  Good luck!

Day 2

I felt better today, and, again, ended the day by making a nice dinner and thoroughly enjoying it. This is a victory for me, because earlier in the day I kind of lost it and found myself finishing off a bag of dried fruit. I know I shouldn't have dried fruit of any kind in my house, but I had some left over from a recipe. Nevertheless, I didn't let all or nothing thinking take over ("Oh, I've ruined everything, may as well find other stuff I can mindlessly eat..." or "I may as well forget the Whole30 altogether..."). Instead of beating myself up, I'm going to get to bed relatively early and looking forward to starting Day 3 feeling even more refreshed!

Day 3

Although I had a hard time getting to sleep last night, I woke up this morning having slept very deeply. I remember this Whole30 magic kicking in right away for me the last couple of times, as well. It's wonderful!

Today I'm at the office all day. Because of my issues with binge eating at home, in secret, I usually have better days at the office than when I work from home (and, right now, I'm in the process of transitioning my schedule to make sure that I can work from the office more often). 

I started the day with a big, hearty breakfast (leftovers from last night's dinner). Usually, I have a smaller Breakfast/Meal 1, but during this Whole30 I want to experiment with eating three large meals a day, and limiting snacking. I've noticed people commenting in the forums that this way of eating has helped them to distinguish between real hunger and the urge to mindlessly snack. I'm excited to give it a try (even though it felt a bit strange eating a sausage and cauliflower rice first thing in the morning!). 

I have been experimenting these past two weeks as I prepare to do a W30, and I've done 3 meals per day and I've found it to be much easier.  I was in the habit of "saving" calories for snacks later and just snacking too much in general.  Eating bigger meals keep me full longer and with snacks just removed from the table all together - it's much easier to keep calories in check organically without constant counting.  I'm looking forward to no more counting and weighing myself on W30!  I've kept a food journal and counted calories for over 2 years now and I'm actually up a few pounds :(

Day 3 (but really, back at Day 1)

Yep, this happened yesterday: I attempted to eat out instead of bringing my lunch to work, and ate roasted chicken on a salad that ended up having parmesan cheese in the marinade. The server assured me the meal was free of dairy and soy, but I could tell she didn't really know what was in it. After several bites I thought to myself, "I know that taste..." I was with a whole bunch of colleagues that I needed to impress, so making an even bigger deal about my meal than I already had didn't seem like an option. I finished the salad. 

Since I was only on Day 3, starting over today isn't a big deal. What was less good, though, was the fact that I used that relatively minor slip to allow myself several other off-plan treats. This is a classic pattern for me. I "slip up" in a minor way in some area of my life, and then go off the deep end.

That being said, I'm still here, and I'm still doing this. 

Day 2

Alright, I've gotten back on track after that slip up. I spent yesterday cooking lots of healthy Whole30 food (spicy salmon cakes, thai lime chicken soup, ground turkey with apples and onions), which was motivating.

Today is a beautiful day in Vancouver. I'm going to try and do some exercise today, in the form of taking my dog for a walk and some circuit training. Tonight I have a baby shower (gulp), but I'm going to go after dinner, soda water in hand!

I'm still wondering how to navigate eating out - or, if I should just avoid it as much as possible. I can see how bringing my own salad dressing could be a good strategy (but, pulling that out in the middle of a work lunch?). However, that wouldn't have solved the marinade issue. I suppose if I had told the server I was allergic to dairy, she might have taken my questions more seriously. 

Day 8

Woke up this morning feeling slightly more human. Today, I'm making a conscious effort to move my thinking away from "Everything that could go wrong IS going wrong during this Whole30" (first I eat something off plan, then the flu hits...), and towards thoughts like, "Wasn't it interesting which Whole30 foods I craved once my appetite came back?" (Answers: chilled coconut milk, applesauce, and brussel sprouts with bacon!?), and "It's interesting how much resistance my brain is putting up to this process this time - I wonder why that is?" (Possible Answers: work stress, impatience, getting sick).

I'm looking forward to settling into the process a bit more this week. The exciting news is my mom is joining me on the Whole30, starting today! I'm doing the full 30 days with her, so I guess this will be a Whole38. Onwards and upwards!

• 2 weeks later...

My third(!) try at Day 2

I haven't been here in a while. After two successful Whole30s earlier this year, during which I encountered relatively few major road blocks, this one has been characterized by one massive set back after another.

Turns out I was really, really sick. That "stomach flu" I had from days 3-7 was actually a nasty strep infection and I'm just finishing off a second round of antibiotics to clear it from my system. I'm still not 100%, and pumping my system with drugs is making my stomach feel awful.

Over the past couple of weeks, I tried to eat as close to the Whole30 as possible, but unbalanced and inconsistent meals - even while eating relatively clean - is not a recipe for Tiger Blood. 

Yesterday was the first day where I actually managed to get three balanced Whole30 meals in. I am cautiously optimistic. I suppose the upside to all of this is that my body urgently needs to rebalance itself with the Whole30. If I miss one more week of work, I am seriously screwed. I need all that energy and the healing power of food right now! I hope that this urgency can get me through the coming few days, even while I am still feeling under the weather. 

Well there, you certainly have had a hard time of it.  try some home made soups, they will help when you are sick and keep you on track.  Keep on Keepin on...

I had some homemade bone broth today. It was amazing.

I also forced myself to eat three small balanced meals today! I am on to Day 3!

Days 3, 4 and 5

Well, here I am, almost half way through Day 5! I managed to cook a nice dinner for my family and really enjoy it last night. Hopefully that means my appetite is coming back!

It has NOT been easy to be mindful over the past 5 days, because I feel like I am so behind on everything after being sick - from work to house chores. When I'm not couch bound, I've been running around like crazy, and had to rely on Larabars more than I would have liked.

Of course, now is when I need to be the most mindful about what I'm doing, and take it one step at a time. It's a holiday weekend in Canada, and I'm hoping that I can find some balance between relaxing and recharging, and working. 

What was less good, though, was the fact that I used that relatively minor slip to allow myself several other off-plan treats. This is a classic pattern for me. I "slip up" in a minor way in some area of my life, and then go off the deep end.

The good old What the hell effect!

While it can be hard to think rationally when you're "in the moment", what helps me in these situations is to compare the 'screw it, I've already blown today' mentality with the idea of dropping your cell phone --- you wouldn't then jump on top of it, since it's already damaged, right?

Kirkor, your visuals are spot on.   I won't be able to get that one out of my head, but it's a good one.

While it can be hard to think rationally when you're "in the moment", what helps me in these situations is to compare the 'screw it, I've already blown today' mentality with the idea of dropping your cell phone --- you wouldn't then jump on top of it, since it's already damaged, right?

• 2 months later...

Days 1 & 2

Unfortunately, I had to abandon my efforts to do a third Whole30 last fall. I'm still not completely sure why I couldn't get it done - maybe some combination of health problems (I was on antibiotics for a solid month), bad luck and extra high stress at work? Anyways, I ended up doing a whole bunch of Whole3s, Whole5s and even a couple of Whole15s, which was great. What was less great was what happened in between. I still haven't gotten a handle on how to 'ride my own bike' post-Whole30 (or Whole15 or Whole5). That's my goal for this year. I want to learn how to enjoy treats once and a while, without going on a full-on sugar bender.

I will complete my mindful Whole30 this month, no slips, no excuses. Some strategies I learnt from my last two Whole30s:

1. I spent January 1st shopping and cooking, including a double batch of no-fuss salmon cakes from ISWF. During my second Whole30, I learned how to skip the Larabars and reach for more balanced snacks or mini-meals instead. 

2. My freezer is stocked with ground meat. During my first Whole30, I tried a new and elaborate recipe almost every night. It was amazing, but time consuming. I now know how important it is to have easy meal options at the ready. 

3. Dried fruit and nuts are out for me. Every time I buy them, I end up bingeing on them. Even when I use small amounts in recipes, I end up craving them the next day. 

Day 3

Welllllll, on the plus side, I already have that strange happy feeling that seems to go hand in hand with eating good food! I love that it comes back so quickly. On the minus side, I didn't have the best sleep last night. I'm really looking forward to those nights of deep sleep I know are coming.

I should probably keep track of my meals, right?

Day 1 was spinach and eggs for breakfast, thai chicken soup for lunch, and ground turkey with apples and onions for dinner. I find that I tend to under-eat at the start of the program. Eventually, my hunger catches up with me and I naturally start to eat more.

Day 2 was fried eggs and a banana for breakfast, salmon cakes for lunch and leftover ground turkey with onions and apples for dinner (with a sweet potato on the side). These meals didn't include as many green leafy vegetables as I would have liked.

Day 3 was salmon cakes for breakfast, egg salad with carrots and arugula for lunch and a big taco salad for dinner. I still don't have a huge appetite, but that didn't stop me from craving a Larabar at 3 pm today! I'm glad I resisted. While I do keep them around for emergency snacks, I know that they are not something I should be reaching for when I have the time to throw together a mini-meal. 

Days 4 & 5

It's weird how every Whole30 is completely different. This time I've noticed a big reduction in my appetite during this first week. But, I'm sticking to the template and getting my three meals a day in, hungry or not. That being said, I've had a few cravings for Larabars over the past 5 days. I'm glad I've resisted. Once I have one of those babies, it seems like a good idea the next day, and then the next day...

I'm exhausted tonight, so guess I've reached the 'I just want to nap' phase of the timeline. It's 7:30 pm and I'm off to bed!

Quick food recap:

Day 4: fried eggs and a banana for breakfast (not ideal, but the one breakfast my boyfriend seems to put together for me!), egg salad and sweet potato for lunch, and taco salad for dinner.

Day 5: veggie omelette for breakfast, tuna salad and sweet potato for lunch, and buffalo chicken, sweet potato and salad for dinner. I'm getting better and better at sneaking in a whole bunch of veggies into things like tuna salad. Winning!

Tough go last time but I am so very, very impressed that you made repeated efforts to get on track last fall. Glad you're back on again and you can do it. Day one of my 2nd whole30 here. Need to feel ... just better, sleep better and feel lighter! 

Keep it up - it IS worth every bit of it.

Tough go last time but I am so very, very impressed that you made repeated efforts to get on track last fall. Glad you're back on again and you can do it. Day one of my 2nd whole30 here. Need to feel ... just better, sleep better and feel lighter! 

Keep it up - it IS worth every bit of it.

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I absolutely agree - it is so, so worth it to do the full 30 days. Good luck to you too!

Archived