a plum

BLACK coffee

Lunch

1.5 leftover broiled chicken thighs

1.5 cups of stir fried cabbage and zucchini

10 or so cherry tomatoes

Dinner

Tri tip

Something vegetable, yet to be determined.

Thoughts on Black Coffee

So far, breakfast has happened.   I poured my cup of black coffee and paused.  How bad could it be?  After all, it's been grown in the misty Andean highlands midway between the jungle and the mountains and transported via mule train from the very border of civilization.  With that kind of background, it must be delicious even straight up.   I drank.   Not as bad as I thought, but I now suspect that I've been using coffee as a sugar delivery device and not just as a caffeine source.

Day One, Meal One done!

I also started day 1 today and ate breakfast with no issue, as suspected but was also leery of my black coffee. Like you, it wasn't so bad.  I use good coffee and a great coffee maker, which helps and I had cut out sugar (more or less) but was using organic 1/2 and 1/2.  There's a comment that stuck with me from reading the, "It Starts Here" book and it's that, this is not hard; this is a choice.  No one is going to do this for us, so one day at a time.  Good luck with the rest of your journey!

• Moderators

The composition of your meals look good with the exception of butter to cook your eggs. Clarified butter would be okay or ghee, but regular butter includes milk proteins that make it not okay during a Whole30. 

The size of your meals seems a bit small. You probably need to eat more: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Having a big duh about the butter!

I also experienced an accidental sugar ingestion yesterday.   While on a conference call, my fingers walked themselves over to a caramel sitting on my desk - it was a stray remnant from a box that I had set out on my desk several weeks ago.  While listening, my fingers found it, unwrapped it and popped it into my mouth.  It took a good 30 minutes to realize what I had done.  I'm counting it as accidental ingestion because I had no intent on ingesting sugar and it was thoughtless, mindless eating of something that I didn't even realize was there.  Perhaps this also demonstrates the size of my sugar dragon - I have a big one!  This was definitely the animal brain at work!

Day 2

Breakfast

2 medium eggs - NOT cooked in butter.

1/4 avocado

1/2 tomato

1 plum

coffee, no sugar  -  It tasted more palatable today!

Lunch

Leftover tri tip

Broccoli

1/2 tomato

Apple

Almonds

Dinner

Lamb kabob pieces browned in a skillet (this was lamb sirloin that had been cut into chunks)

A big pile of steamed broccoli.

Sliced tomatoes (it's the season)

I tossed the cooked lamb pieces with a wet rub that I sometimes make to marinate chicken.  It makes a bunch and I had some leftover in the freezer.  I pulse fresh ginger, sweet onion, basil, cilantro and mint in the food processor with olive oil and salt.  It's delicious - a bit like a chimichurri sauce without the vinegar.

There was birthday cake in the office today as well as a homemade prune cake.  I ignored it without a second thought.  This is a big win for me as I often find sugar things calling to me from the office kitchen like a siren.  I often find that having sugar creates the desire for more and I wonder if my sugarless coffee helped me resist the cakes.

Day 2 done.

It's the middle of day 3 and I have an unusual disinterest in food.   After my lunch of tuna, compliant mayo, raw carrots, raw tomatoes and leftover steamed greenbeans, I felt bloated and somewhat uncomfortable.  I skipped the apply I would normally have and eating sounds like the last thing I want to do.  I'm wondering how this fits into the timeline.

My normal diet is pretty healthy.  I typically eat eggs and fruit for breakfast, protein and veggies for lunch and protein and veggies plus a serving of white rice for dinner.  I am quite used to a large intake of fruits and veg.  What I'm cutting out is a daily "treat" from the bakery a few blocks away, sugar and milk in my coffee and grazing of whatever appears in the office kitchen.

I just love your name!!!!  I am on Day 17 and have my share of ups and downs and learning experiences, so I am going to echo Tom Denham's sentiment and say it just doesn't sound like you are eating enough food, especially fat.  There has to be a healthy balance of protein, veggies and fats to keep you satisfied throughout the day.  It goes against everything we know about dieting or eating healthy, but the key to me staying full and satisfied and not wanting to snack or getting hungry in two hours is to have a big protein filled, fat filled, veggie filled breakfast and then my meals get smaller in portion throughout the day, unless my body thinks it needs more.  So far, with the exception of a day that I missed lunch (and that was a hard lesson learned), I have not wanted to snack, haven't had any cravings and there is only one day that I actually had to make a mini-meal.  Looking back, I didn't have enough fat. 

Good luck to you and for your sake, get rid of anything and everything in your house that may be a temptation to you.

Archived