Another Day 1 first timer here.....excited to start.

alissaks

Today is day one and I am ready.  I'm ready to take back control of my choices and not let a lack of mindfulness take the lead.  I started following a paleo lifestyle more than 2 years ago, when I was also doing Crossfit.  A severe injury two years ago and subsequent, less severe re-injury 5 months ago, have really hampered my activity, which often bleeds into causing my will power to suffer in regards to food and alcohol.  I am fortunate that my partner is starting a paleo challenge through his Crossfit box at the same time, since it will make this easier.  

My goal is to get back to mindfulness, as well as to cleanse from a summer of too much everything.  I know I will feel better and I know I will lose weight, which is a secondary goal.  Cutting out alcohol will be tough, since we do enjoy red wine most nights but I also keep telling myself, it's 30 days out of 43 years....I can do almost anything for 30 days.  Plus there's something incredibly rewarding to have self control and to also just focus on now.  I can do this today and I don't have to worry about tomorrow.  Okay, so I have to plan my food but that is easy for me.  I have the resources and the knowledge and now it's just up to me to decide how much I want to do this.  It's pretty awesome to have the only responsibility to be mine. I don't have to depend on anyone else to make this work. That doesn't happen often.

Hi there -- Today is day 1 for me, too.... I've been on the wrong track for years -- stress eating, drinking soda, and recently even doing the 5-hour energy shots to keep me going every day.  After reading the book, I felt like they were talking directly to me!!!  Anyway, my husband & I decided we needed to "clean up our acts" and get on the right path to good health & good choices --- so today is Day 1 for us.  I'm definitely missing my morning soda -- and I know he will be missing his alcohol this evening to wind down from the day --- but we can all do this!!!  30 days in the grand scheme of life (48 years of life for me) -- seems small really.  I'm also not used to posting things about myself - so this is outside my normal "box" just to respond in this forum --- but I know I'm going to need some support and hopefully I can also lend support to others in the process.  One thing we did (since I tend to be a "planner") is put together a 7-day meal plan in Excel last week for breakfast, lunch, & dinner.  Then we got our groceries over the weekend, and last night (Sunday), we prepared as many things as we could (chopped up veggies for our omelets, etc.).  I'm hoping the pre-planning & knowing what we are going to eat each meal will really help.  I just need to read the forum about different recipes, etc. because I know I will need to mix things up to keep me going.  So glad your partner is doing something right alongside you -- I think that will help a lot.  WE CAN DO THIS!!!  :-)   Have a great day!!!

Good for you for getting started  I do think where a lot of people have trouble is planning.  I always do my grocery shopping on Sundays and am an early riser, so plan my menu for the week and make the list from there.  I always email myself the weekly meals and then save my emails in a paleo folder.  This has helped when I am feeling less time to plan and I can look back to find what I've done in previous weeks.  I have a spreadsheet also, where I keep links to recipes.  If you are on pinterest, you can save recipes there for future use.

I cut out diet coke almost 3 years ago and I did miss it but when I did drink one, I realized it bothered my stomach and that wasn't something I ever recognized.  I think that is the cool thing about doing a challenge such as this. Once the 30 days is over and you want to add some things back in, you will hopefully be able to tell what bothers you and what you may be able to have on occasion.  I haven't had a diet coke (or any diet soda) since that last one that made me feel bad.  It was that simple.  Plus, I am stuck on real ingredients, not the fake stuff.

It's great you have a partner doing this with you and very smart to have prepped ahead of time.  I hope your day has gone well and you are dealing with too many cravings.  Good luck!

Congratulations to both of you.  This is a real journey you are about to embark on.  I am on Day 15 (half-way) and I have learned so much and still have so much to learn.  I've done a half-witted paleo lifestyle but life always got in the way.  I love how this is making me thing before I eat and read before I buy.  I have never in my life been so cognizant of labels as I am now. 

I wish you both so much success!!!!  Be strong and you can do this!  Oh and a tip - when it's hard and if you find yourself at an end, come here and browse the forums.  There is so much knowledge out there and it really helped me through some rough spots.

Thanks for the encouragement.  Today felt good and I cooked a lot of food for the week.  My hardest time is from when I get home from work and start cooking. It's completely mental, so I need to get over that hump.  What have you found most surprising, so far 15 days in.  I'm curious since you've somewhat followed a paleo lifestyle and that is how I feel.

Archived