Day 30 is tomorrow...but thinking I need it to be a whole 60 or 90

frantastic

So, tomorrow is day 30. I'm super proud of myself for sticking with it. It has long been my intention to continue on the path, BUT - I just never got to where I felt any of the good benefits listed below, so I'm curious as to if it's better to keep on or break and re-start.

1) energy (the past 4-5 days 1 have actually been more tired than even at the beginning)

2) improvement in sleep patterns (still have difficulty falling asleep and even more trouble dragging my tush out of bed)

3) the feeling that food isn't as important (I feel like I exist from one meal to the next, and I don't think I've ever used my kitchen this much!)

4) lack of desire for sugar and/or binge-style eating (I had a dream about eating cough drops. that's just sad).

5) of course I want to lose weight, but I haven't been weighing so I have no idea how that is going. My clothes don't feel looser, but I feel like my boobs stick out further than my belly again, so that's progress...and I would like more progress in that area.

AND - if the consensus is to keep on keeping on, should I drop fruit (which will be harder for me than anything else except breath mints)? I generally have 1-2 pieces a day, usually and apple and a plum (or nectarine, but the apple is a constant).

To consider: I have a tendency to be anemic - there is something "broken" in the way my body absorbs and stores iron (I take an iron supplement, eat iron rich foods, but still have to get iron infusions) and I did just have my period so my iron might be extra low and contributing to my fatigue (you know you've been on the forum for 29 days when you're just not afraid to overshare!!).

What have most of you found to work the best? Does it just take more time in some people? I was already gluten and dairy free but DEFINITELY wasn't sugar or grain free - I really thought my body would adapt more easily than it seems to be.

There have been lots of good victories along the way - but I feel like I'm missing out on the great ones and would love input from more seasoned folks!

You may just need more time. You may need to make some further adjustments to what/how much you are eating. You may need to address some of the other 8 factors of a Whole9 lifestyle. Can you give us some more context? Post 2-3 days of typical food, sleep, water, activity, and stress. That should give us a better idea of what to suggest. You might want to do some more research on healing iron absorption issues. I'm not super familiar with them myself. 

Congratulations!

I really identify with your third point, on a Whole30 I feel like all I do is plan meals, cook meals, and clean up from meals. and repeat.  And I can never stop thinking about what my next meal will be.

About taking a break, I don't know... Some people can successfully do it, and that is awesome.  After my first I tried riding my own bike for a while until I slowly spiraled back into my bad habits, and it was hard to get started again.  If you are comfortable-ish right now it might be easier to go with your momentum.  Just my opinion, of course!

And looking back now on my first W30?  I realize that I was feeling a lot better, I just could not notice it from where I was.  (If that makes any sense)

I say continue.

I stopped a Whole 30 at the end of May, dove back into life, and here I am for another one in September.  

I have a feeling that if you stop now, you will really struggle to get back to the level of health you have achieved thus far.

Your gut is telling you to continue.  Listen to your gut.  ;)

And I'm with Physibeth -- would like to see what some typical days look like for you.  I went in search of a food log for you, and... doesn't look like there is one to be found.

Physibeth - below are my past two days of eating:

Monday:

Meal 1:

4 eggs, scrambled

cucumber and tomato salad

2 pieces Pederson's no sugar bacon

Meal 2:

diced chicken

sautéed cabbage

acv and olive oil

baked sweet potato

nectarine

Mini meal (I have a mini meal in the late afternoon because my meals 2 and 3 tend to be 8ish hours apart. I just need a few bites of something):

diced chicken (same as from lunch)

baby carrots

Meal 3:

tilapia cooked with balsamic vinegar (it sounds gross, but it's totally delicious)

cubed butternut squash

green beans with some ghee

Tuesday:

Meal 1:

2 aidell's chicken/apple sausuages

cucumbers

meal 2:

diced chicken

sautéed cabbage

acv and olive oil

baked sweet potato

nectarine

Mini meal:

diced chicken (same as from lunch)

grape tomatoes

Meal 3:

tilapia cooked with balsamic vinegar

zucchini noodles

apple

Everything is at template portion size or larger.

For the question on the whole 9... I do have a goodly amount of stress right now, but who doesn't have stress? AND - the stress effects how I sleep. I don't always have an option of 8-9 hours because if I am awake for 1-2 hours during the night, I can't just go to work 2 hours late to make up for it!

My activity level has been decreased due to my tiredness (it's a chicken and egg situation, I know), but I'm still doing something most days (strength training on Friday, kayaking and hiking on Saturday, had a tennis match on Sunday, two mile walk with the dog last night, etc).

I drink a TON of water (I have always been a big water drinker, so this isn't new).

I did bow out of a social situation on Saturday night, but that was because I fell out of kayak onto rapids/rocks and needed to spend the night icing my knees and not wearing high heels! Otherwise, I'm good about keeping social (I like to combine socializing and activities, so I manage to get both in!!).

Unfortunately, there's not a "heal" to the iron absorption...it's just the way I'm built. I don't really think this is iron related though...usually when my iron gets super crazy I-need-an-infusion-stat low I crave super cold food - I will chew on ice (and I normally don't use ice at all) and I'm not feeling that way. I also have a low-grade sore throat and have for about two weeks (but I don't feel "sick").

I don't have a particularly compelling reason to NOT carry on. I just want to make sure that I'm making smart decisions.

Heather - you do make a great point. I probably DO feel better than I did. The difference might be that if I got tired I would pump myself full of sugar and caffeine!!!!

Congrats on 30 days!

I won't comment on the nutrition stuff as many others can do it far better than I.  I want to comment on the following:

3) the feeling that food isn't as important (I feel like I exist from one meal to the next, and I don't think I've ever used my kitchen this much!)

4) lack of desire for sugar and/or binge-style eating (I had a dream about eating cough drops. that's just sad).

In my opinion, while these can be assisted through good nutrition, they can not be solved through good nutrition alone.  Managing sleep, stress, and good nutrition will help, but these things are very connected to mental and emotional stuff.

Binge eating/emotional eating is always, in my opinion, connected to the emotions you attach to food, eating, weight, body image.  I don't know you and can't say what is going on for you, but it isn't uncommon, for example, for people who think negatively about their bodies to binge eat.  You can't take good care of your body if you hate it or are at war with it.  The same is true for people who restrict food intake and have an emotional attachment to doing so (i.e. the thought patterns that include "good food", "bad food", "cheating", "being on the wagon/off the wagon" - those who feel successful when they are eating a certain way and a failure when they are not.)  Give some thought to what binge eating looks like for you, emotions surrounding food, body image, etc.  Consider doing some reading on blogs like isabelfoxenduke.com, inmyskinnygenes, and the like and see if any of it resonates for you.

I don't say any of this to insinuate that I don't think nutrition is crucial for health.  It certainly makes a difference for me and paleo has been a life changer.  However, when we struggle to calm our obsession with food, body size, etc, it is worth thinking about why.  I can't say whether it would be a good idea to continue past 30 days or not for you, it really is a personal thing.  For some people going longer can make the difference in regaining health.  I can say that for me, using the whole30 for any other reason than to experiment with how food affects me (so that I can make informed decisions going forward about what food works for me and what doesn't) ends in disaster.  Using it for weight loss or to try and achieve 'success' or 'dietary perfection' leads to a binge every single time.  Which leads to me beating myself up.  Which leads to more binge eating.  Which leads to another whole30 and trying to 'not fail this time'.  Whole30 is an amazing program, but like any other nutritional tool, it can be used in a way that makes a person crazy and fuels body hatred and wild swings of the pendulum - particularly for anyone who has struggled with weight or body image.

Thank you Amy3509.  I just completed a W30 with no cheats at all on what I ate, but felt like I went overboard on quantity.  I feel great and waist is smaller, but didn't really lose any weight.  

Getting on healthy food was  great and set me free from cravings. I love that! That freedom allowed me to see an underlying emotional dependance  on food that I don't like.  So I did not take a break.  I am on day 2 of the next W30 and am focusing on why I eat as well as what.  I want freedom from control by food or appetite.  

Are there any other guidelines regarding eating I need to know.  I searched the website and can't find them.  I own the book too, but haven't looked there yet.

FANTASTIC, I would love to do a 2d W30 with you.

April

fran, since you posted food, I will give my two cents.  :)

Since you asked about fruit...  Well, I know you said it would be really hard, but that makes me think you should do it.  You are still craving sugar a lot, and that is feeding your craving.  It really is.  No one here can decide this one for you -- but I say, if your goal is fat loss and to conquer a sugar dragon, the fruit will probably need to go for awhile, while you do that.  

Starchy vegetables are great, but they do have a time and a place, again -- if your goal is fat loss.  In my experience, saving these things for post-workout and/or later in the day will help keep insulin levels low throughout the day, therefore your body is able to tap into your own fat stores more efficiently all day.  Not only are you having a sweet potato for Meal 2, but also a piece of fruit -- and all I am saying is, if you are interested, look up the sugar content of the two of those combined.  This could be setting you up to be a "sugar burner" when you really want to be burning fat.  This also sets you up to crave sugar for the rest of the day.  If you save your starchy vegetable and/or fruit for later in the day (or not at all on days you are less active), this does not happen because you are going to bed.

I would add fat with your mini-meal.  Not having it there may (?) be making you more hungry for your evening meal, so you may (?) eat larger portions than you would have really needed.

And that is the only other thing I can add -- think about how much you are eating at each meal.  Your choices look good, but no one here can see quantity, and no one here knows how full you are feeling.  Are you feeling stuffed?  Are you stopping when you know the tank is 80% full, and giving your brain a chance to catch up with it's "full" signal?  Only you know the answers to these questions...  I am NOT telling you that you are eating too much, I am just giving you something to think about in regards to the weight loss you want to see.

Good luck!

AprilS, do you mean other than the meal planning template?

It is here:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

This shopping list comes in handy, also:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Yes, thanks, I had forgotten where I read that.  I think I read on one of the Daily emails or somewhere else about the rules and the guidelines as well.  

Thank you all. Brewer, you silly, I WANT your two cents!! You make excellent points. While I've tried to not make weight/fat loss the focus of my w30/60/90, it's something that I hope will happen as a natural side effect! I will taper off the fruits and starchy veggies (sigh). I don't think that I am eating too much - I'm pretty dead on with the template descriptions (although I have, on occasion, forced my hand to hold 5 eggs instead of 3-4!). I think that I am definitely still a sugar burner. Perhaps while 30 is a good number of days for people who don't have a lifetime of overeating carbs, more time is needed for others (you know, others like me).

Amy - I definitely DO need to work on my relationship with my body. Like many, I tend to be a very harsh self critic, and my body and eating behaviors tend to be a focus of that criticism. BUT - my bigger focus is on health. My parents have literally eaten themselves into ill health (my mom has issues that range beyond that, but they started there). I just need that to not be me, and need to make sure that I'm taking the correct steps (I love my folks very much, but I don't want to be them). It's hard. All of it.

April - would love a buddy for days 31-60!!!!!!

1) energy (the past 4-5 days 1 have actually been more tired than even at the beginning)

2) improvement in sleep patterns (still have difficulty falling asleep and even more trouble dragging my tush out of bed)

After thinking about this for awhile this morning, I realized your Meal 2 would make me tired.  I learned years ago that carbs have a sedating effect, while protein has more of an energizing effect.  It's just a fact.  I would never eat a potato and then expect to have great mental clarity.  And a can of tuna almost jazzes me up too much.  

Are you feeling like you need a nap in the afternoon?  Like you could just lay your head down on your desk?  Reaching for coffee, craving sugar in the afternoon to "get through"?  If so, your Meal 2 is absolutely contributing to this.  I dare you to eat protein+fat+low-carb veggies for lunch for a couple of days and see the difference.  Load up, eat as much as you need to -- eat until you are full, so you know that hunger is not a factor.  And then see what you notice.   ;)

Edited to say:  Forgot what I was going to say about #2 above.  If you have your starchy carb with your evening meal instead, I think it will help you sleep.  Try it.  Please.  :)

I agree that your portion sizes look excellent. You could probably eat a bit more at your first meal and I would add that primarily in vegetable/fat form...your protein looks great. I also agree with Brewer to play with the timing of your starchy vegetables and try cutting out fruit for a little while. I do personally find I sleep best when most of my starch is consumed in the evening. One thing I'm not seeing a lot of is dark leafy greens. Try and add a serving of these a day. I like to scramble my eggs into sauteed kale for example.

On the sleep issue, you might want to try adding pre-bed magnesium and see if that helps with the falling asleep part of the equation. Most people use natural calm but another option is a magnesium spray or cream or epson salt bath as it is better absorbed through the skin. Maybe make a part of your bedtime routine taking a bath in epson salts and lavendar essential oils. It can help calm you from your day and prepare you for sleep.

I think sleep really needs to be your next focus (it is the factor I'm currently most focused on myself). Work on creating an environment suited to good sleep. Dark, cool, and quiet room is ideal. Turn off all screens that emit backlight an hour before bed. Have a pre-bed routine.

April, Fran, and experts everywhere:

I am dealing with similar issues--going pretty well (Day 19), but no dramatic changes and my pants are snugger if anything.  I will keep going, but won't make it to a Whole 60, as I am planning on having a celebratory cocktail for my own birthday in late October, and a slice of the birthday cake I make for my daughter a few days later.

Does it make more sense to roll into a Whole 45, say, and then have those celebrations, or to reintroduce starting on Day 31, and just generally eat in the Whole 9/Whole 30 model most days?

frantastic and April, can I join you in your Whole 31-60?

I just finished my second W30 yesterday (first was around this time last year) and had 99% committed to doing another, until a friend and I were discussing going to a street festival on Saturday, hosted by my favourite local brewery - well now, that's a case of riding my own bike if ever I heard one! My brain, however, interpreted that as "you're going to be drinking beer on Saturday, so you're not dong a Whole 30, so let's have some chocolate right now!" - I didn't even want chocolate until I happened to see it on special! Clearly my brain needs another month to catch up!

I've also been under a cloud of fatigue for the past 2-3 weeks - which may be stress related, gym related, food related, random element related...

Anyway, I suspect that keeping on track for the next 30 days will actually be tougher than the first without accountability, so I'd love to have some friends on board who will pull me up if I step out of line!

Archived