Just got my numbers

KathyV

Just viewed my Cholesterol numbers, and I am scared!!!!  I need to know what I should do!!  I know my doctor is going to want to get me on Meds. not a fan of that at all.

I want to know if anybody has had numbers like this while eating Whole30.  I have been about 90-95% compliant since I completed my first Whole30 last year.  I did not reintroduce anything after my Whole30, cause I did not miss them.  I leave those choices for special occasions.

Here are my numbers:  Total 412 (OMG!) last on was 246 about 2 years ago

HDL  126 

LDL  276

Tri's   48

Total Chol/HDL  3.3

any advise of what I should do? 

• Moderators

With triglycerides at such an excellent level, I would not let the LDL level cause too much of a panic. I've never heard of HDL being so high. You know that high HDL is good. Yours are 3 times optimal levels. Maybe they should not go so high, but you are not about to die or have a heart attack. 

Doctors have gone along with the fraud perpetrated by drug companies on the public for decades, but the fraud is beginning to unravel. High cholesterol does not cause heart disease and does not correlate with heart disease reliably. That lie is increasingly well known, although most doctors go along with "recommendations" because it is the safe thing to do. 

Don't get me wrong. I take meds for high cholesterol, but I have a genetic defect - FH - that makes me a bit of a special case.

You might want to read through some of the links I've collected on the issue:

Tom,  Thank you for easing my fears!! And that I am not going to "die".LOL   I wonder if I could have the genetic defect you mentioned?  Did you have to have a specific test for it?   Does a rise in your Total  always increase your LDL?

I will read all of your recommended links today.   I appreciate the time you took to gather them up...your the BEST!  Always love your "tell it like it is" feedbacks

• Moderators

I fired a doctor I had been seeing for 10 years when he dismissed my interest in stopping the statin drugs I was taking to see if the Whole30 had "fixed" my cholesterol problem. Instead, he got me to increase my dose to drive my cholesterol from 160 to 140. He was happy with 140. I fired him and stopped taking meds entirely. When I found a new doctor 3 months later, my cholesterol was at about 350. The new doctor did more extensive blood tests and gave me more complete feedback than I had ever gotten before. She told me that I had a genetic marker for something called familial hypercholesterimia... that I was part of a small percentage of the population that makes a lot of cholesterol in the liver no matter what I eat. I wondered how I had been getting tested for cholesterol for 30 years and had never heard about this issue before!

I am not convinced that high cholesterol is a problem, but I am not enough of a scientist to digest the studies myself and have not wanted to stop taking all meds when my doctor thinks I should keep my cholesterol down to the 250 area. Consequently, I agreed to a non-statin med - fenofibrates - to lower my level from 350 to 250. At my last blood test my total was at 232. 

Tom,  I read the articles and gathered information on requesting further testing  to measure my LDL Particles it is called Vertical Auto Profile (VAP), and  MNR to measure the number of particles.  That seems to be the key if you need to be on a Statin.  I talked to my mom and she said my dad always ran high.

Glad to be ALIVE!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

KathyV, I completely understand your concern! I got my blood test results and was shocked too. My LDL is 129 (up 52 from last yr) and my total cholesterol is 193 (up 57 from last yr). Also, my doc told me my sugar was too high at 98. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have completed the whole45 and have been on a slow roll ever since.

I was in tears when I left the dr office. My dad died of heart disease before his 51 bday and my mom has diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I always vowed to be healthier! Since having kids I have really struggled with my weight.

I feel a little discouraged with the numbers, but I know how great I feel.

NinaJ, My father also had heart disease so it concerned me too.  You might want to check out the websites that Tom posted.  I read them and I too, am convinced that your total cholesterol is not a precursor of heart disease. 

I also found a formula where you divide HDL/Total and it should be above 25%  I did mine, and it is 33%.

And like you, I feel great and I believe in the Whole30 program.  how can what we eat and how we prepare it be worse than the "garbage" the standard American diet gives you!

I also refused to go on meds.  I was waiting for my doc. to give me a call on the results, but no phone call( I have the capability to view my results online even before the Doc see's them) and I have been in the office since then, but noting was said.....I don't know if I should be upset or glad she did not approach me on it,

.  Praxisproject    interesting comment on the weight loss, cause I did loose weight!  But like I told NinjaJ I feel great despite what people say!

I'm definitely checking out the articles Tom referenced. I thought the exactly same thing, how could eating real food be bad. When everyone else is eating processed garbage!!

Maybe your doc isn't one to jump on meds right away. My doc wants to check my cholesterol and sugar again in 3 months. :(

KathyV, I completely understand your concern! I got my blood test results and was shocked too. My LDL is 129 (up 52 from last yr) and my total cholesterol is 193 (up 57 from last yr). Also, my doc told me my sugar was too high at 98. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have completed the whole45 and have been on a slow roll ever since.

I was in tears when I left the dr office. My dad died of heart disease before his 51 bday and my mom has diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I always vowed to be healthier! Since having kids I have really struggled with my weight.

I feel a little discouraged with the numbers, but I know how great I feel.

Nina, don't panic.  I am familiar with  Type 1, Type 2, HBP,  and HC...statin meds and all of the rest throughout my relatives.

You said your numbers went up from last year.   If you haven't had a test in a year,   and  you may not know what your numbers were before Day 1 of your Whole 30....that's a big gap that you don't have the numbers for.

Bottomline, a year has passed.    How and what were you eating inbetween...before your Whole 30,  since last year's test?

@MeadowLily the year in between blood tests was very stressful and I was eating a lot to cope. Also, I had a foot injury that made it difficult to exercise. Which by the way, miraculously disappeared with Whole30. I was physically and emotionally a wreck.

Currently, I have never felt better! I guess because I feel so good I expected to see a change for the better in my numbers.

@MeadowLily the year in between blood tests was very stressful and I was eating a lot to cope. Also, I had a foot injury that made it difficult to exercise. Which by the way, miraculously disappeared with Whole30. I was physically and emotionally a wreck.

Currently, I have never felt better! I guess because I feel so good I expected to see a change for the better in my numbers.

That's great, I'm glad you're feeling better.     

All foods are not created equal...were you eating alot of sugars/refined carbs during the past year?  They will make your triglycerides go sky high, that's what I was wondering about.

Archived