First Whole30 Done…To Post or Not to Post

megmac

Throughout my Whole30 I thought about what I wanted to say in my completed post. But things didn't turn out quite the way I planned, and I didn't want to discourage anyone. I have spent the last few days reflecting on what I learned, what worked, and what I would do differently if I ever do another Whole30.

First, let me preface this by saying that I am blessed with incredibly good health. At 45, I have no known medical conditions, low blood pressure, excellent cholesterol, and no aches, pains or complaints. That being said, the easiest way for me to judge results is on the scale. And that's where I was disappointed.

So first the positives:

1. From day 1, I had no cravings, temptations, or “carb fluâ€. This was a pretty easy transition for me.

2. I now sleep like a baby. If I had a complaint before, that would be it. In ways, that has made the whole thing worth it.

3. I am definitely slimmer and my pants are loose. Although not reflected on the scale, I know I have lost body fat. Probably the combination of Whole30 and lots of boot camp.

4. My hormones are completely out of wack. I say this as a positive because I have to believe they are out of wack because they are getting IN wack, if that makes any sense.

5. My habits have changed. Although I am not strict (honey and tamari in marinades, a sprinkling of blue cheese on my salad), Primarily Paleo is now just a habit. I no longer think about “on†or “offâ€, I just eat.

The not so positives:

1. 2.6 lbs. My goal was 7, which seemed completely reasonable for a 30 day period. What a total heartbreak. I did it for weight loss, and 2.6 lbs in 30 days of feeling like I said no to everything is just not okay with me. It is what it is.

2. I thought I would feel different. More energy or something. Nada.

3. Perfection without joy. I believe I was “perfect†in the elimination part. But boy did that take the joy out of everything for me. I completely lost interest in cooking or eating. It became a real chore to do either. With my demanding job and long hours, it just became part of the grind. The funny thing is that it wasn't all that far off from what I usually eat or cook, it was just HAVING to check and double check every last ingredient that wore me out. I found myself wanting to skip dinner and just go to bed. (Sleeping was giving me GREAT JOY!) Control issues anyone? J

What I would do differently:

1. Breakfast: I got very reliant on the hot nut cereal. I need to find something I can stand to eat that is more protein and veggies, and I need to eat it earlier. I could not manage to eat within 1 hour of waking. I got it down to 2 hours, which is a HUGE improvement.

2. Nuts again – I found that nuts and dried fruit was one thing I could stand when everything else turned me off and I was genuinely hungry. Although I ate them in moderation, I did eat them every day. I'm guessing that's part of the weight loss issue.

3. Lower or eliminate weight loss expectations. I don't know if I have less weight to lose than some with greater success (maybe 10 lbs?) or if my hormones were more imbalanced, or if it's just because I was eating mostly Paleo before the Whole30, but I need to see this less as a weight loss tool and more like a detox if I ever do it again. This one is a work in process.

So all in all, it was a positive experience. I'm still figuring out what I learned and what has changed, but suffice it to say that my team had pizza for lunch today and I had coconut curry chicken meatballs with organic broccoli and a peach. That pretty much sums it up.

1) I think if this wasn't a massive dietary change for you AND you are close to your setpoint weight anyway, you will just not lose as much doing this. I'm probably within 10 pounds of where my body will eventually settle (because it's been in that weight range almost all of my life) and I am losing very slowly if at all. However, you did mention changed measurements, and looser fitting clothes. That's what matters, not the scale number!

2) Try it without the nuts and dried fruit. I'm relying on them much less than I did last time and seem to be experiencing some changes that didn't happen the first time around.

Even if it's just 2.6lbs on the scale, if you've lost inches and your clothes fit better, you probably lost more fat lbs wise and replaced it with muscle weight. Using JUST the scale number is really misleading, which is why we hate it

• 2 weeks later...

I have wondered about this myself and will probably try my next whole 30 without much for nuts and fruit, if at all. But I don't know that I want to cut anything out this first time around.

Was it harder without the fruit and nuts? I would think I'd really have to keep the fat content high if I did that.

First off, let me say congratulations for getting through th Whole30 and for being brave enough to tell the truth.

I appreciate you sharing your struggles as they are similar to the ones I have been experiencing.

I have to remind myself that this is a journey, not a race. Which means that I can evaluate my Whole30 (like you) find out what worked and didn't work and make adjustments.

It's not over yet!

I have experienced so many positive things and I am a day behind you so I haven't weighed myself yet and I'm trying to remind myself before "I go there" that there are so many more positives to look at besides how I did on the scale.

Thank you again, I hope you find a way to acknowledge the huge accomplishments you've made in the last 30 days.

Best,

Lindy

Well...Today is the Day...Made it through..And will continue..This is what I have found..

First of all...I don't feel as though I need glorified meals anymore...meaning...adding stevia..cocoa powder..etc to my meals. I have learned to enjoy the veggies/protein/fat as they should be..

I exercised as I usually do and felt empowered...I have discovered which veggies cause bloating/gassy for me and what works..I am thankful for this program..

I was addicted to Sugar..I am not turning back..If I do..I feel as though my efforts were done in vain...just me.:)

congrats to all!!!

Archived