Sweet potato question

esh4182

The short answer is: it depends.

If you are very active, or about to start your period, or have other issues with energy throughout your day, you'll want to eat starchy carbs like sweet potatoes pretty often.  You can eat them with every meal.

If you do not find that you need them for energy, you can keep starchy carbs to a minimum.  Note: I have noticed here on the forums (not as scientific sample!) that most women need more than most men, regardless of activity level.  When I eat as few starchy carbs as, say, our moderator Tom Denham, I am ready to Kill All The Things and my hair falls out more than my thyroid condition warrants.  On the other hand, Tom just doesn't need them.

Try different amounts of starchy carbs throughout your day, on different days, and in different amounts, and find your personal sweet spot.

While I'm here, may I also put in a plug for the regular consumption of dark leafy greens?  I roast mine in big batches and then heat them up throughout the week.  Paired with a protein and a starchy carb, these veggies give lots and lots of great energy.

While I'm here, may I also put in a plug for the regular consumption of dark leafy greens?  I roast mine in big batches and then heat them up throughout the week.  Paired with a protein and a starchy carb, these veggies give lots and lots of great energy.

Ok WHICH dark leafy greens?   A little embarrassed to ask, but curious what you're enjoying.  :wub:

• Moderators

I'm curious too -- I've roasted almost every other vegetable I can think of, but never the leafy green stuff. Does it just turn out like if you sauteed it, but with less standing over the stove?

I buy them already bagged.  It says Euro Greens on the package.  I think it includes a couple of kinds of kale and chard.

I just put them in the oven with oil and salt, and roast until they wilt.  Yes, it's like sauteeing but less babysitting involved.  I am eating lots more greens since I started doing this. 

• Administrators

Really!!!!!!  So interesting...I really believed that I knew most ways of cooking most veggies.  I'm flabbergast.  LOL!

I could totally see consuming way more of them, too, because you can probably process way more of them at one time!  I :wub: chard!

Really!!!!!!  So interesting...I really believed that I knew most ways of cooking most veggies.  I'm flabbergast.  LOL!

I could totally see consuming way more of them, too, because you can probably process way more of them at one time!  I :wub: chard!

I totally did it out of laziness.  I can't stand making dinner.  But once a week I can fire up the oven and the crock pot and cook everything.  Greens were going to waste, so I threw them on a pan and figured I had nothing to lose.  Turns out, it was brilliant. 

Archived