Celebrex Catch 22

nowiswhen

I've got severe degenerative joint disease and have been on Celebrex for close to 10 years.  For the past 5 years, Celebrex does not reduce all of the joint pain but makes it tolerable most of the time.  After reading about the damage Celebrex can cause, I decided to stop taking it as soon as my joint pain seemed to improve from the Whole30 during the 2nd week.  After 4 days, the pain returned with a vengance.  I tried Tylenol but it didn't do much.  I also tried meditation & extra rest. The pain got to be too much so I started taking Celebrex again.

Now I don't know what to do!  As I understand it, the Celebrex damage can't heal if I continue to take it.

If I stop taking it,  I feel so miserable, sad & hopeless that my anxiety level shoots up and the added tension just intensifies the joint pain.  

I don't know how or when I can phase Celebrex out of my life.  Should I keep taking it for the remember of my Whole30 (I started Sept 1st) and wait until the inflammation dies down with the diet.  Then gradually wean from Celebrex?  Should I be doing the AIP Whole30?  So far, I was 4 days off Celebrex and have been back on for 2 days and still feel miserable.  I guess it will take a while to get back to a therapeutic level of Celebrex.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be healthy and get off Celebrex but I have to figure out how to handle the pain during the process.  I have tried other NSAIDs and OTC pain relievers without luck.  One combo that kinda worked as a Celebrex substitute was taking 2 Tylenol and 3 Advil in the morning and at night.  Would that be a lesser of the evils?  I could try this after my pain level gets under control again.

Hope others have battled inflammation, arthritis and NSAIDs with the Whole30 and WON!  Please share!!!

Keep taking your Celebrex during your Whole30.  If, over time (it will likely take significantly longer than 30 days, but a shorter time might be possible), you are able to reduce your dose gradually, you might try that.

I'm not familiar with Celebrex, but with many such medications, you are not able to safely get off of them all at once; instead, they require a gradual weaning process.  Without this, the symptoms you were using them to treat can come back with a vengeance just as a result of stopping suddenly.

Eat Whole30, take your Celebrex, and watch for subtle changes that tell you you're ready to reduce your dose.  Then move gradually.  If your doctor is supportive of lifestyle changes and drug changes, you might engage her/him in the process as well - particularly if there's a weaning time needed for getting off of Celebrex or even for reducing your dose.

Good luck and Whole30 on!

• Moderators

You need to work with your doctor about coming off medications. Not only is it safer, your doctor may be able to recommend some things you and I don't know about that might help you succeed. 

Note: your doctor may think the whole idea of coming off meds is silly and a waste of time and dismiss your interest in making a transition as uninformed nonsense. That is a good sign that you have been working with an ass and should look for a new doctor. :)

Every doctor who evaluates your situation may conclude that you need to stay on meds. I don't know because I am not a doctor. And maybe you will need to stay on the meds, but your doctor should be open to discussing and dealing with your concerns and desires. 

Note: Yep, I fired an ass about 3 years ago. My new doctor convinced me to stay on meds, but we changed to a different class of drugs that I did not previously know existed...

I am not an expert. I would continue taking your medications to keep the pain in check. I have heard of many people who stop eating night shades and have had improvement in their joint pain. Have you tried avoiding tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and potatoes? Maybe do that for the rest of your whole30 along with your meds and see what happens. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks all of you!  I'll stick with Rx and let the Whole30 be the only change.  THEN, when inflammation decreases, I'll find out if my doc is an ass or not ;)

I am curious about the nightshades... the only one I've been eating on the Whole30 is white potatoes almost once daily.  I used to have them a couple of times a month.  But still, I think I'd better recover from my extreme optimism and wait out the 30 days before I monkey with anything.  I'm on Day 16 so it won't be long before 30 gets here!

I have to admit how sorry I am to ruin the nice results I was getting by making myself miserable!

I am curious about the nightshades... the only one I've been eating on the Whole30 is white potatoes almost once daily. 

I was once part of a "Potato Hack" thread on the Primal Blueprint forum.  This is where you eat nothing but potatoes for a certain amount of time (differs).  I learned a lot about potatoes, as a result of this.

I remember that there were folks who simply could not do it, because of their arthritis flaring up so badly.  I also remember someone saying that this effect is greatly reduced if you peel them.  If you are interested in continuing to eat white potatoes, you may want to start peeling them, if you haven't been already.  I still don't know that I would advise nightshades with the symptoms you describe... but you may do less damage if you at least don't eat the skins.  Worth some research, anyway.  ;)

Brewer5, thanks for the testimony on white potatoes!  I have been eating the skins too.  Now that I've been back on Celebrex for 4 days, the pain level is very low and I've got energy & good mood again.  I feel more Day 18 Whole30.  

I'm going to wait until Day 30 and see if I go on to 45, 60, 90 if I need to and will go to the AIP if needed.

My doctor said that excess body fat IS AN INFLAMMATORY AGENT.  I've got 40 pounds to lose.  Somewhere in the scheme of things I'm hoping clean food + significant weight loss will be the crucial part of the cure.  Then I hope to be off Celebrex and using Tylenol occasionally.

I think I'll be posting here for a long long time.  I am so happy to have all of these wonderful resources! 

Archived