Hello! Starting my Whole30 on Sept 18!

tracer421

Hello! My name is Tracey! I am a medic and dispatcher in Oklahoma City. I have realized that since I have started working on an ambulance/in dispatch my health and diet have both gone downhill. At the age of 23 I was diagnosed with a GI disease that according to my GI doc is usually diagnosed to males in their 60s. I got fed up with gaining weight and feeling like I am in the worst shape of my life (I got winded walking up a short flight of stairs.... EMBARRASSING!) I decided that it was time to do something different. I ordered the book "It Starts with Food". I have so far made it about halfway through, but after having my eyes opened to the horrors that will happen should I stay on the path I am going, and also seeing examples of this everyday at work, I have decided that something needs to be done in my personal life to stop it! Anyway, that is me! I am excited for this new exciting adventure! Thank you in advance for all of the encouragement that I will get from this forum! I hope that everyone has a spectacular day!

Tracey

Hi Tracey!

I'm officially starting tomorrow, the 18th as well. I'm going to unofficially start today, the 17th and have it be a "test run" day. (I'm just finishing my coffee with coconut milk now...it's not so terrible!)

I'm a preschool teacher and live in San Francisco. I'm doing the Whole30 due to a recent diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis. I am pretty active (runner, cyclist, rock climber, etc.) and being laid out by this disease has really messed with my head! I was a decade long vegetarian, and figured I always ate "healthy," but after all of my GI distress I started cutting out certain foods and have started to feel better. Hopefully the Whole 30 will help me pinpoint what foods may trigger a flare up. I also have a WICKED sweet tooth that I am hoping to get under control.

Glad to be on this journey with you!

Hi Everyone! My name is Carla. I also started on the 18th and have been having a very 'flu-like' day 3. It is my daughter's 7th Bday, so I am trying to rally! 

A bit about me. I live in Minnesota. I work full time at a pretty intense job. And my husband and I have two kids. My husband is almost at the end of his first Whole 30. He was so great. He did it with a buddy of his who lives across the country. While he did it, I just kept up my usual eating habits. Then one day, I realized that all of my clothes felt like someone had shrunk them in the dryer. "Hey....who put these pants in the dryer?!"  So, I asked him to help me get started. Years ago we did "South Beach Diet" together (before we had kids). Other than that, I don't have much experience with these things.

Its time for me to stop "stress eating" and get back to taking care of the important stuff! But, I feel like its going to be a long (and sort of boring) 30 days.

I will definitely need some buddies to help me along the way.

--Carla

Hi Carla! Fellow stress eater here.

How'd you do at the birthday celebration? I hope your carb flu didn't make things too miserable. I was so exhausted for my day three and four. I would start out the day great and then after lunch crash hard (super sleepy, heavy limbs, etc.) Day 3 was also what my coworkers call "Fat Girl Friday." Cute, right? NOT. Someone always brings in crazy amounts of junk food on Fridays. Donuts, candy, cookies, etc. Friday there was a whole box of french pastries from a delicious patisserie nearby. THEN one of my students had a birthday and there was a dark chocolate tarte that I had to cut up and serve! Talk about torture. 

Today is my Day 5. I feel...okay. I was planning on going for a run, but got back from errands and am feeling unmotivated and tired. Gotta get my meal prep done for the week still too. Blah. I definitely have a case of the grumps. I'm having cravings for sweet things and trying terribly not to "feed the sugar dragon" by eating fruit. We can do this!

-Chelsea

Hello everyone! Thank you for the support!!! I have tried this once already and I made it 3 weeks before I strayed. My boyfriend wasn't following it with me which made everything absolutely difficult (try eating delicious steamed vegetables while the person sitting next to you eating a hamburger and french fries with a chocolate shake.... ugh). This time he is making an effort at doing it with me, which is a huge help. While doing this I have also chosen to give up caffeine of any kind (no more sweet glorious coffee  :( ), which is horribly difficult since I work nights. I am also an emotional eater and I eat when I get bored, the worst kind of habit. 

Chelsea and Carla - 

Good luck! I am totally open to talking back and forth and keeping each other encouraged throughout this process. I know it is difficult and having an accountability partner or two to help make it through this difficult process, that is in the exact same position as you, would be quite helpful!

Oh man, that must be so difficult not to have an encouraging boyfriend. Thank goodness mine is pretty supportive and eats most of his non compliant food (mostly bagels, sandwiches, coffee house stuff) out of the house and while he is at work. Yesterday during meal prep he nibbled on some of my roasted veggies for my lunches for the week and I snapped, "Don't f*ck with my meal prep!" It was so ridiculous that we both ended up laughing about it. But I meant it at the time (the "Kill All The Things"phase is real!). 

Today is my Day 6 and I'm feeling optimistic about it. Hopefully there isn't too many tempting treats at work today to drive me crazy.

Happy Monday!

Archived