Planning subsequent Whole30s

nomnomNW

Just to let you know I am on day 17 of my first successful Whole30 (there have been several epic fails at trying to do this program). 

I have come to the decision that I do want to end the restrictions on Day 30. That said, I don't want to slip back into a free for all eating lifestyle, and plan to relatively stick to whole food cooking and less takeout. I've been thinking that I would be interested in a primal diet with the addition sugars, some soy (mainly in soy sauce) and dairy. Not really interested in adding back gluten and can live with out most legumes. I'll see upon re-intro. 

Now that I've proven I can make it this far with the program, I've been thinking of when to plan future Whole30s. I've read on the boards about the difficulties of sticking to subsequent/consecutive Whole30s ("its harder the second time around"). I also don't want to live in a perpetual Whole30 lifestyle - too restrictive, depriving... Thus, I don't see October as a viable option, plus I don't want to be so restrictive during November (thanksgiving is HUGE, want to stay paleo but want to be able to have at least sugars). Thus, December and/or January seem like viable options. 

I like the idea of regular Whole30s every 2-3 months to stay on track with healthy eating and relationship to foods. 

Does anyone have advice or could share what worked (or didn't work) for them? 

PS: I am a planner...I know I haven't finished this round but I always think ahead. 

I did my first one mid april/mid may and my second one mid august/mid september. I originally planned to do the second one mid october/mid november but I was getting too off track and found a 30 day window with minimal social plans and decided last minute to jump right in. The second one was way easier in every way, it was way less shock to my body and mind, and also I knew how I had survived the first one. I'm hoping the second one will be my last and I'll be more successful at off roading this time. Reintro messed me up last time so this time I skipped it and am just going to eat things that are worth it when I really want to and try not to let it get out of hand.

Why not give yourself some leeway during the whole holiday season and start on January 2? January has 31 days, so you can still celebrate New Year's with a glass of bubbly or something, and then use it as a way to center yourself for the new year?

I'm going to try starting my second FULL W30 (I've done 1 W30 and 1 W14) on Monday...assuming that the a/c guy can finally fix my a/c today. Waiting for him to show now...

Don't discredit a bunch of W7's or W14's or heck, W5's or even W3's.  ANY clean, healthy, food you ingest is one less crappy food you're putting in your body.  Some days I do it meal by meal .  Sometimes I will go weeks totally clean w30 and then one day something good happens and I eat it and it might trigger me to not think about my food choices and absently eat but eventually I come back around and slowly start stringing my Whole Life back together meal by meal and before I know it, weeks have passed. 

Good luck!

For me I decided to do a second Whole30 because I was feeling like things were getting a little out of control and I wanted to reign things in. There are lots of reasons to do subsequent Whole30s (or W7, W14, etc). I remember reading a blog post where Melissa said she likes to do a W7 the week before and after a major vacation. If you want to plan to do 2 or 3 full Whole30s a year I would look at your overall calendar and plan them based on missing major holidays and vacations. 

I like the idea of a W7 immediately after vacation (I'd probably do at least a W14). One of the purposes of vacation is to get out of our daily routine so we can relax, play, etc in a different way. But by getting out of our routine means we may need a kickstarter back into our normal eating at home so we don't stray. That's true for me at least!

I will say that, 7 days into my second Whole 30, I'm experiencing a LOT of benefits...the nicest of which is that my stomach is flat without me having to suck it in. Hubby and friends have noticed as well...yay.

Downside is that, at this point, I'm still waiting for my digestion to fix itself. The last two or three days my digestion has caused me rather...urgent needs. BUT even with that happening in the mornings, I still feel WAY better (even with my nasty cold).

Archived