severe reaction after second whole 30

LisaLulu

Well I had a birthday cupcake today on day 31 and thought nothing of it. Until about 4 hours later when I started to feel dizzy, twitchy, nauseous and short of breath. The cupcakes contained gluten, dairy and sugar, but I'm not sure which is causing such a severe reaction. I skipped reintro this time because I didn't react to anything after my first one.

Does it sometimes take a second whole 30 for your immune system to figure out it really doesn't like something? And does this sound like gluten since it's such a neurotoxic reaction?

Ugh, I didn't expect this at all, I'm awake feeling so sick but I have to work all day teaching small children tomorrow and don't have time for this crap!!!

I'm thinking it might have been reactive hypoglycemia... the cupcakes were very intensely frosted, and I consumed it a couple hours after dinner. It was possibly a giant shock to my system after eating mostly meat and veggies with a bit of fruit the past month. 

• Moderators

Maybe it was a bad sugar rush. It sounds a bit extreme for sugar, but that seems most likely given your lack of noticeable response to gluten before. It sounds like you definitely need to do a separate test of gluten when you are back to feeling good and can allocate some time. :)

I'm pretty sure it was a sugar rush because immediately after I stopped feeling shaky/sick I was ravenously hungry (in the middle of the night!) and in the morning I was really hangry while getting ready for work. I ate properly all day today and feel much better. I'll do a gluten test for sure though just so I know. 

It was definitely a reaction to the sugar. Yesterday we had a family birthday dinner for me and I had a large non compliant meal (sausages on buns, salad, strawberries, red pepper slices, 2 small cupcakes and a cup of tea with milk and sugar.). The cupcakes were homemade so had a fraction of the frosting that the bakery ones did last week, but gluten, dairy and sugar were all consumed and this time I had zero reaction. I think because the sugar was in the context of a large meal that included fat and protein and veggies and also it was earlier in the day so after eating we were all out at the park chasing the kids (instead of in bed not moving). So I guess I'm going to have to watch the timing and dose of my sugar when I indulge. 

Archived