Starting My Second Whole30 on Monday 9/22

AVSmaller2014

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to start my second Whole30 in FOUR DAYS!  :o 

After a summer that included an abdominal surgery and general laziness while recovering, it's time for a change.  Last time I did Whole30, I lost 20 pounds and followed the plan to the letter for the most part.  I'll admit, I didn't pay attention to the portion suggestions.  This time, I'd like to be as strict as possible.  Anyone else starting around the same time?

It's certainly easier to take this journey with the support of others.

Thanks!

HEY THERE EVERYONE!

I'm making my start date for Monday, September 22, official! Newbie, you have a friend!

It's been very motivating to hear the many of you will be doing this for the SECOND time! I suffer from an intense sugar addiction, which I've noticed has been causing me to be on an emotional roller coaster. I hope that this will re-energize me, provide me with more uplifting feelings and shed those last stubborn pounds.

I'm excited! Let's do this!

Me too gang... I start my first Whole 30 tomorrow, Sunday 9/21.

Been contemplating it for weeks after friends have had some pretty amazing results.  Been ready up casually all week... and have spent the last 8 hours doing hard core research and prep.

I'm off to the store with my first week meal plan and shopping list in hand.... GO US!!!

Hey everyone!  So nice to have some people who are on the same journey.  I just ate breakfast (I live in Washington, DC).  I had a salmon cake with homemade siracha mayo, scrambled eggs, cabbage steak, and grapes.  It was delicious, and I feel very satisfied.  I think my main struggle will be resisting the temptations at work.  There are free Pepsis (my admitted weakness) and other sodas, fruit juices, and ever-present pastries.  Of course, when I stepped on the scale this morning and saw 248.0  :o, I think it may not be as difficult as I thought.  

Please feel free to share daily updates including food pics if you're so inclined.  We CAN do this!10672187_10153180097284196_7271469298945

Today is day one for me! (was supposed to be yesterday but got derailed by a sweet all day surprise excursion from my boyfriend so I didn't get to shop or prep).  But I just had a fabulous breakfast (spinach, tomato and onion fritatta and coffee with coconut milk).  I will hit the Sprouts Market at lunch today and get some deli meat, avo, lettuce, cuke, tomatoe and make some roll-ups for lunch.  Then I can go 'big shopping' on the way home from work and get all set for the rest of the week.

Stay focused everyone...we have started on the road to a whole new healthy life!  It's not gonna be easy, OR happen over night.  But it WILL happen.  :)

-Laura

It's DAY 2!!!!!!!!!!!

How did everyone do yesterday?  After my delicious meals 1 and 2, I got down to business with meal 3.  I was really craving something a little lighter, so I decided to have a salad.  Of course, because I'm a bit extra, I had to make it cute.  So I did a deconstructed salad of green leaf lettuce, onion, cucumber, grapes, almonds, avocado, bacon, egg, tilapia, and homemade vinaigrette.  When I tell you it was scrumptious, that really is an understatement.

10449183_10153181679244196_1067112061369

This morning, I packed my yummies and brought them to work with me.

10392506_10153182996439196_9044490353308

For Meal 1, I had tilapia, grapes, and brussels sprouts with bacon, mustard, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper.

10703735_10153182996759196_4295780392543

I feel full, and have only a tiny headache.  True story: I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been drinking last night.  Isn't that funny?  I have no idea what that's about.  Oh well.  Happy day, everyone!

You are an inspiration to me @AVSmaller!!  I love the way you packed everything up for work.  And your meals look DELISH!

Day 3 for me and am having a hard time getting breakfast down.  I had coffee with coconut milk at home getting ready, but the thought of food made me sick to my stomach.  I'm not used to eating breakfast.  I enjoy eggs and all things breakfast... just usually not till about 10 or 11!  I guess I'm more of a 'brunch' girl...:LOL.   So I brought it to work today...scrambled up two eggs in the micro (not ideal but made it work) and tossed with grilled veggies and chicken.  I wasn't even remotely hungry but ate it anyway at about 9am.  Hope this breakfast thing gets easier for me! 

I'll eat the rest of the grilled chicken and veggies for lunch, and then a big salad with avo, turkey, tomatoes, and mustard vinaigrette for dinner.  That should get me through day 3!

How is everyone else doing today??

-Laura

Hello!

I started on 9/21 and am going strong. Day 3 for me today. I definitely have a hangover-like headache and a weird brain fog. But I have not been hungry between meals, or at least not as ravenous as I usually got around 11:45 AM. I planned my menu on Sat and did the shopping. So far the food has been great! I normally make enough dinner to take to work as leftovers for lunch the next day. I already went through 12 eggs between sun-tues. even though I had good eating habits before I have noticed a positive change in these three days. No more roller coaster sugar hunger pangs! No more 2:30 PM crash!

Looking forward to sticking together :-)

K

Day 2 is going well for me. 

One really cool thing is that I saw my doc today and am starting a trial off my blood pressure meds after two months in a row (ever since my first round of W30!) - I have had perfect BP since that round! Woohoo!

Yesterday's meal plan was thrown off by sports, so we are going to eat yesterday's dinner, today. (bonus: I don't have to cook today!)

My food doesn't look cute but I am documenting my meals for myself with the Studio app that W30 partnered with... :)

Today's meal plan:

B- Sautéed shaved brussel sprouts with bacon, rotisserie chicken, brown mustard on top (leftovers from yesterday's lunch)

L- spinach/tomato omelet, clementine

D- Salsa chicken over sweet potato

I am having trouble being hungry enough to eat. (This was not a problem the first time around but I don't think it is a pregnancy symptom - I am only 5 weeks - so maybe I have just been "reset" in my eating...I think I was eating out of emotions so much before that I need to accept letting my body decide when I am hungry!)

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is sticking to this! I honestly think the first five days are the hardest, so yay for everyone. :)

So I brought it to work today...scrambled up two eggs in the micro (not ideal but made it work) and tossed with grilled veggies and chicken.  I wasn't even remotely hungry but ate it anyway at about 9am.  Hope this breakfast thing gets easier for me!

Laura: making it work is what it's all about. I understand not being a big eat-first-thing-in-the-morning person. It certainly can be a struggle, especially when you get up super early (I get up around 4:45).

I definitely have a hangover-like headache and a weird brain fog. But I have not been hungry between meals, or at least not as ravenous as I usually got around 11:45 AM. I planned my menu on Sat and did the shopping. So far the food has been great! I normally make enough dinner to take to work as leftovers for lunch the next day. I already went through 12 eggs between sun-tues. even though I had good eating habits before I have noticed a positive change in these three days. No more roller coaster sugar hunger pangs! No more 2:30 PM crash!

K: Boo to headache and brain fog, but awesome to no hunger or crash. Isn't it amazing how quickly a change can make you feel?

Day 2 is going well for me. 

One really cool thing is that I saw my doc today and am starting a trial off my blood pressure meds after two months in a row (ever since my first round of W30!) - I have had perfect BP since that round! Woohoo!

My food doesn't look cute but I am documenting my meals for myself with the Studio app that W30 partnered with... :)

Ladycop79: getting off meds is probably the greatest NSV (non-scale victory) in the world! And the food doesn't have to be pretty. Lord knows I think all of my stuff looks greasy. LOL

Here's day 2 meal 2:

Filet (grass-fed, super tender)

Tilapia

Broccoli & cauliflower (roasted)

Grapes

Sweet potato

Siracha mayo

post-53224-0-02192000-1411499281_thumb.j

Yay TamiR!

Last night, I ate later than normal (around 8 p.m.), and just wasn't feeling it. I made some firecracker tuna salad, and just ate it along with lettuce, cucumber, and homemade vinaigrette. As soon as I took my first bite, I knew I was in trouble. It. Was. So. Good. I'd forgotten how good that recipe is. And to make my own vinaigrette with no recipe, just a little of this and a little of that? Mmmm...

I've been dealing with some intestinal issues. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know if it's because of the amount of spices that I'm using in my dishes, but my stomach has been pretty upset since Monday. I'm hoping this is just a side effect of detoxing, and that it doesn't continue. Having these issues at work is NOT cute.

This morning, I cheated. I stepped on the scale. I know I'm not supposed to, but I did it. I think I'm going to have to do what I did before, which is to have my sister hide it for the duration of the program. I'm sharing this so that I can be held accountable, and as a reminder that no journey is perfect.

Anywho...here's my Day 3 Meal 1:

Salmon cakes

Eggs

Sweet potato

Brussels sprouts with bacon

Have a great day everyone!

post-53224-0-05967000-1411566970_thumb.j

AVSmaller:

I had stomach issues too! I think it's the overload of veggies, and general detoxing process that throws your gut off for a few days. TMI alert, I spent 3 days without a bowel movement so I took a dose of miralax (no sugar or dairy added, just plastic-like pellets that help move things along) and was finally able to move things along. Helped with the bloated/fullness feeling.

I am now on day 4 and have overcome the brain fog, the headache, and the bloated feeling. So far so good! Food-wise I am also happy with what I planned for the week. The nice thing is that I am making enough food to feed us for dinner and lunch, so no more fending for myself or fighting the lunch crowds at work.

Can you share the recipe for the firecracker tuna salad?

Stay strong everyone!!!

K

Here's Day 3 Meal 2:

Filet

Cabbage

Sweet potato

Tilapia10649563_10153185792109196_8493657048738

It feels so good having such good food.  I will admit that I'm getting a little tired of cooking, and plan to incorporate more salads for a few days.

Yay for no more brain fog, Kantz.  Here's a link to the firecracker tuna recipe: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/04/25/firecracker-tuna-salad/.

Firecracker Tuna Salad

Serves 2 | Prep 10 min.

Ingredients:

1/2 to 1 large jalapeno pepper, finely minced

4 scallions, green & white, sliced thin

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder

3/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (can substitute crushed red pepper flakes)

pinch cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

2 cans tuna (
)

salt & black pepper, to taste

2-3 tablespoons 

Directions:

1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the jalapenos, scallions, mustard powder, Aleppo pepper, cayenne, vinegar, and tuna. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any large clumps of tuna. Taste for seasoning.

2. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the mayo so the salad becomes creamy, but the mayo doesn’t devolve into its component parts.

3. Pile on a plate with raw veggies — I like cucumber slices, jicama sticks, green pepper strips, and carrots because they’re cool and sweet in contrast to the spicy tuna.

YUM! Thanks for sharing!

I also like the fact that I have all our meals planned for the week so even though the cooking has been intense, I no longer open the fridge and try to figure out what to make for dinner. 

How are you all dealing with the sugar dragon? I have felt the need to eat, not because I'm hungry, but to fill a void or subside to a craving... Either a sweet craving (gave in to some honeydew melon I had) or something savory (I had almonds and pistachios on hand thank goodness!). I don't nibble as much as I used to, but I certainly enjoy little treats here and there as my day goes by... 

I've gotten some great recipes from this site: http://nomnompaleo.com/ and the ipad app is also fabulous.

I'm also following the Whole30 Pinterest board: http://www.pinterest.com/whole30/ where I've found some good recipes to incorporate into our rotation.

Kantz,

Sugar has never been my big issue.  For me, it's fried foods.  I like anything breaded.  And CORN...don't even get me started on that devil.  :angry:

I've actually managed not to snack at all.  I've been super busy at work, which helps, I think.  I've also been taking in a lot of water.  I'm aiming for that 64 oz. a day, even though I've been reading suggestions that you drink half your body weight in water.  Yeah, there's absolutely ZERO chance of me drinking a gallon of water a day.  The repeated trips to the bathroom make me a little crazy, but I know it's good for me.

What's happened to everyone else?
letsmakeachange23
melli
NordicGiraffe
LJT
LadyCop79

Last night, I was so tired after working late and then going to the hairdresser.  By the time I got home, made something, and ate, it was 9:30.  I kept it simple.  Lobster on top of a salad.  I made the Dreamy Avocado Dressing from ISWF.  Delish!

10580242_10153186689029196_1260324623541

It's day 4.  Meal 1:

Steak

Broccoli & cauliflower

Avocado w/ lemon, salt, and pepper

10710794_10153187507059196_2043796976705

We've got this!!!!!

Hello everyone!

Starting day 5 and feeling great. I am working late tonight so I packed my lunch and dinner to bring in and am looking forward to eating those! I made the firecracker tuna salad and it changed my life. So yummy! Even my husband was complimenting the meal all along saying he never knew tuna salad could taste so good. LOL. 

I am going to try the avocado dressing ASAP. 

Hey everyone - congrats on our first workweek almost done! It's been HARD but good. Between full time job, part time hours into rehearsal and an online class, I don't have a lot of time to lovingly craft meals for myself every day.  I made up a few things on the weekend and just keep eating the same 4 or 5 things in rotation.  I'm concerned about boredom with the same meals over and over creeping in.  We shall see!

Welcome back, NordicGiraffe!  It sounds like you have a very full schedule.  Are you a person who doesn't mind eating salads?  I've been dealing with a bit of food boredom this week, and have decided to incorporate more salads.  That way, I can switch up the ingredients; they don't require much prep work; and you're still having something compliant.  I'm training for my first half marathon, so cooking at night (after putting in 6 miles on the pavement) can be tough.

I hope you can stick with it, as this is such a positive step for all of us.  If I can do anything to encourage or help, please let me know.

Day 4 Meal 2:

Tilapia

Cabbage

Grapes

10006282_10153188743519196_2340979640774

Day 4 Meal 3: after marinating the Whole30 version of the South Beach garlic & soy pork chops all day, I paired it with cauliflower rice mixed with homemade siracha and 1/2 of a sweet potato.  My wife said it was like eating at a restaurant.

10409704_10153188743809196_5749490381090

It's day 5 for me (and most of you, I think).  Yay to the weekend!!!

Archived