Starting My Second Whole30 on Monday 9/22

AVSmaller2014

Yay! Starting day 6 and still going strong. Last night we had a late event at work and I wasn't as prepared to tame the sugar dragon as I should have. I was able to run to the grocery store in the afternoon and I picked up some cut up honeydew melon, plain sparkling water, and apples. Our event was catered so I was also able to talk the staff into giving me some of their sauteed chicken before they mixed it with their premade teriyaki sauce so I cobbled together dinner with the chicken, an apple, and carrot sticks from the buffet. Wasn't anything to write home about but I got my protein and veggies in for the evening meal. I snacked on some pistachios upon returning home and all was good.

I have to confess I stepped on the scale today and I was shocked to discover some weight loss. I was hovering around the 150-152 pound mark and the scale this morning showed 146. I have noticed that my stomach isn't as bloated or "pooched" as it used to be. I put on a pair of jeans this morning that would normally require a long flowy top and unbottoning after lunchtime, and so far they have not dug in or made me uncomfortable at all. I didn't go on the Whole 30 to lose weight, just to realign my eating priorities, give my body some time to detox, and learn better eating/cooking habits. I'll take whatever I can get!!!

TGIF!!!

K

How is everyone doing? Today marks my 1st week in the bag. So far I've only noticed positive things:

1. A less-bloated stomach! My pants are no longer digging in under belly button and I've noticed a better fit when I wore a pair of shorts I hadn't worn in a few weeks

2. Steady levels of energy throughout the day: I had a long afternoon meeting on Friday, and by 4:30 the rest of the meeting attendants were showing signs of checking out (yawning, refilling coffee cups, difficulty staying on task), and I felt as good as if it was 11 AM on a Wednesday. I usually had a few strategies to curb the 3 PM wall (coffee, a sweet snack, cleaning up my office...) and I now feel like I can evenly power through the entire afternoon. This is so far a valuable lesson for me, as I've felt that my productivity at work has increased by my renewed ability to stay focused for longer periods of time.

3. Always knowing what I'm going to eat. Planning and shopping for the week takes the guesswork out of our meals and it feels like it's one less thing I have to worry about. 

4. Despite a rough start (TMI alert), all systems are working in order and regularly. 

5. I am never starving. I do get hungry around meal times, but I'm not turning into that Godzilla-like monster anymore.

6. It is scary to read all the things that go into foods that seem harmless. EVERYTHING is laced with chemicals! MSG is EVERYWHERE. This is valuable lesson #2: I really didn't know what I was putting into my body until I started scrutinizing labels. SCARY.

Here's wishing everyone a great second week! 

K

Yay for being done with a full week!  Sorry I didn't post this weekend.  I was busy going to the farmers market, the grocery store, and cooking.  I spent five-and-a-half straight hours cooking yesterday.  I was exhausted, but felt a sense of accomplishment.

I can't post any pics (which is probably for the best, since that's likely annoying to people) because I accidentally dropped my phone and broke it.   I think it was the Whole30 fairies punishing me because: 

I have to admit, I "cheated" yesterday.  I went to the movies and had an instant of automatic eating.  I ALWAYS get popcorn, a soda, and candy when I go to the movies.  ALWAYS.  It's just part of the whole experience for me.  So, I remembered that I couldn't have any.  But I bought my dad's for him cuz he was running late to the movie and didn't have time to stop at the concession stand.  Sure enough, as I sat there waiting for my change, I grabbed a handful and popped a few kernels into my mouth.  Didn't even think about it.  Then, cuz I'd eaten a few, I ate another 5 kernels.  This was a very clear reminder that it's so easy to slip up.

I'll also admit that my eating on the weekends isn't as good.  For some reason, I don't end up eating until the afternoon, which sends everything completely out of whack.

Anyone else have any challenges this weekend?

Hi AVSmaller!

Hang in there. No one said this was going to be easy. Don't be too hard on yourself, and just make this a learning opportunity. Maybe you can now identify potential triggers that can get you off the Whole30. Next time you go to the movies, why not sneak in some grapes that you can mindlessly graze on while enjoying the film? 

I also had to reach deep inside for some self-restraint when we had friends over for pizza and board games. Even though I had planned my separate meal (yummy firecracker tuna salad and avocado) the smell of freshly baked pizza from our favorite takeout place was very tempting. I was glad I made the tuna salad otherwise I would have slipped on the spot!

Thanks for the encouragement, Kantz.  It was totally stupid of me not to have eaten anything.  I spent so many hours cooking, and then it was time to shower and dress for the movies.  Not having anything to eat before 1:30 is pretty much asking for this kind of thing.  Good for you for holding strong!

ETA: I actually had grapes waiting for me in the theater.  It was more a habit of grabbing a bit of popcorn at the counter.  It's amazing how much mindless grazing I typically do.

It's been mighty quiet around these parts.  How is everyone doing?  I've been super busy at work, so I haven't been posting much.  I'm still on track (except for that popcorn slip).

I'll admit I've been bad in one other teeny, tiny way.  I get on the scale periodically.  I'm part of a weight loss group, and we weigh in every week.  I'm pleased with the numbers so far, and hope this can continue.

I've also been dealing with some catty comments at work.  One day last week, I had greens for breakfast.  Someone remarked that it's dinner food.  Why?!  Different cultures eat different foods.  Some cultures would never DREAM of eating beef.  So who's to say what's right and what's wrong?  I get really sick of people telling me "you'll just gain any weight back when you go back to eating regular food."  First of all, who says I'm going to revert to my old ways.  But also, why the apparent glee at the thought of my failure?  I'm hoping this will be a reboot to a new way of life for me.  I'm learning things about myself and what my body needs.  I'm spending many hours cooking, but it's giving me a sense of accomplishment.

Bah!  Never pay attention to someone holding an Egg McMuffin and judging your healthy breakfast.

:D

Congratulations everyone for making it this far. I had started my Whole 30 around the same time as you guys, but just found this forum. Glad to see others who started around the same time and are still sticking around through it all. AVSmaller, I also ended up using the scale. I had been sleep deprived for about a week (university exams). The times that I did sleep, I started dreaming I had been sleepwalking and sleep eating bread. when I woke up I panicked that maybe it wasn't a dream so I went ahead and got on the scale to verify that I was not heavier than when I started.

Best wishes to everyone on their second half of the Whole30.

I've been so MIA, for which I apologize.  I don't know if anyone is even checking this thread anymore.  It's been awfully quiet...et....et...et (that's the echo).  I've been a bit in the dumps because I injured myself and can't do my first half marathon (which I've been looking forward to for MONTHS).  Still, I've stayed mostly on track.  I've been on and off of the scale (totally against the rules, I know, but I wasn't feeling any difference in my clothes).  Today, though, a dress is quite a bit looser, which is lovely.  This all ends in exactly one week, which is kinda amazing.  I started this third round because a friend was doing her first round with her CrossFit box, and I wanted to encourage her.  She's been doing amazingly well, resisting temptation, encouraging me, and staying OFF of the scale.  She's so grateful that she's going to continue her journey and make it a Whole35 so that we finish on the same day.  I must say, this has made us much closer as friends.  So even if that were the only benefit, I'd feel like this was worth it.

Hope you're all doing well!

Ayanna :D

Lalalalalala...I'm talking to myself, but that's okay.

Today is day 30, and this has been a very IMperfect Whole30 for me.  I've gotten on the scale, had two run-ins with popcorn, and failed to pay attention to proper ratios of food.  Still, I've done better than I would have done had I not been even trying Whole30, so I'm pretty pleased, all things considered. :)

Archived