Day 11 - Gum pain when chewing meat (allergic reaction?)

NicoleL

Hi everyone. This is my first Whole30, and I'm on day 11.

I'm experiencing something really odd - chewing beef or pork is causing serious pain with my gums. It's not in one, localized spot, it's like all of my gums and tongue are inflamed, throbbing and really painful after eating beef and pork.

It started a couple of days ago when I had beef jerky, continued when I had a pork chop around day 9, and last night the pain after eating a med-well steak was horrible. I woke up this morning with a headache and some very sensitive spots on my tongue and inner cheeks.

I'm pretty sure it's not some kind of gingivitis because I'm really particular about keeping my teeth and gums super-clean. But I'm wondering if this might be some kind of allergic reaction. Has anyone else experienced this?

Below is what I ate yesterday for reference:

B: leftover chicken breast, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes

L: turkey meatballs with salad and lemon

I had a snack of banana and almond butter late in the afternoon because I got a bit dizzy.

D: grilled steak and carrot puree

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Meat does not provoke allergic reactions very often. After all, we ourselves are meat. We would die if we were allergic to ourselves. :) What I wonder about is seasonings that you might be using with meat that you are not using with chicken or turkey. Jerky is often highly seasoned and we tend to use different spices for poultry and meat. What do you think?

Thanks, guys! I think Tom may be right - the jerky I ate was highly seasoned. I didn't think I was allergic to beef, but I do suspect I may have an allergy to almonds. I had almond butter shortly before I ate dinner, and that may have irritated my gums? I've also had a flare up of eczema after eating almond butter. So I think I'm going to cut it out for now.

If anyone else has experienced this after eating jerky or other denser meats like pork and beef, I would love to hear about your experience - thanks!

Archived