Jump to content

Whole30 4! Electric boogaloo? No, that's not right...


Recommended Posts

I started my 4th Whole30 on Monday the 15th but am only getting around to this log today cause I didn't know it existed until now! This is pretty helpful. I used to have a blog where I documented my food intake with pictures and everything but I don't have the energy and drive for that, so I think this will work instead. So I'll note what I've eaten for the past few days below. There's a ton of repetition because I tend to thrive on that during the work week, it makes everything kind of brainless:



Breakfast: 4 egg omelet with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and black coffee

Lunch: Almond flour "breaded" chicken tenders over spinach salad with grape tomatoes, homemade balsamic vinaigrette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pressed garlic, oregano), fresh pineapple slices.

Dinner: Ribeye steak with grilled sweet potato fries tossed in garlic and herbs, and grilled marinated asparagus (marinade: balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, olive oil and lime juice).



Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with a dollop of guacamole and a sliced tomato, black coffee

Lunch: Same as Monday, asian pear

Mid-afternoon snack because too many hours had passed between lunch and when dinner would be ready: Larabar

Dinner: Flank steak marinated in coconut aminos "teriyaki" sauce, grilled zucchini, leftover grilled sweet potato fries, and a couple slices of grilled pineapple (GRILL ALL THE THINGS!!!!!)



Breakfast: Leftover steak from the night before with leftover zucchini and sweet potato fries, black coffee. Dinner for breakfast instead of breakfast for dinner!

Lunch: Leftover steak over spinach salad with grape tomatoes, asian pear.

Mid-afternoon snack because I had back to back appointments after work and then visited my best friend and her brand new twins in the hospital: Larabar

Super late "dinner": two almond flour "breaded" chicken tenders with Frank's red hot



Breakfast: Leftover steak with leftover zucchini, black coffee

Lunch: Same as Wednesday


And that brings us to right now! I'm really feeling quite excellent so far, I haven't experienced any of the Day 2 or 3 withdrawal symptoms, grogginess or cravings. I did feel a little tired this morning but that's because I didn't get enough sleep last night. But overall I'm already feeling a bit lighter, both physically AND mentally, and even my pants aren't fitting as tightly. So all good things so far :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first Whole30 was in January 2013, after which I tried to keep mostly paleo, but when I had a vacation coming up in May I did a second one in April 2013. I tried doing a 3rd one in July 2013 but I didn't really have the drive and fell off kind of early (it's very hard to do a Whole30 in the summer when all your friends want to go to outdoor bars and drink for hours because it stays light so late). After that I tried to keep paleo again but struggled with it because I was training for a Tough Mudder, and you'd think the two would go hand in hand but I mostly had the mentality of "well if I'm working out so hard, I clearly deserve a reward!" Then I started a new job right after completing the Tough Mudder and my eating became even worse because my company has a cafeteria with every food you could ever want, right in the building. So my 3rd full Whole30 was in January 2014. Of course during that Whole30 I had to go and get 2 of my wisdom teeth removed. You wanna have a tough Whole30? Take away everything you could possibly chew in addition to everything else we can't have! So there was no ice cream to console my aching gums, only mashed cauliflower, bone broth and soft scrambled eggs. I managed to make it through the 30 days, but they were not mentally positive whatsoever. My first 2 weeks were actually surprisingly amazing - I didn't feel any withdrawal, I was energetic and happy. After my surgery though, it was like I was going through what I should have experienced in the first two weeks in the last two weeks instead. It was miserable. So that didn't end very well and I fell off the wagon very quickly.
After then I kind of convinced myself that it "didn't work" and that it wasn't me, but that I should try other forms of diets (all of which I'd tried numerous times before with some success but had previously abandoned for the same reasons everyone abandons diets). I tried the Slow Carb Diet (aka the 4 Hour Body diet), which is kiiiiind of similar to paleo in that you remove grains, dairy and sugar from your diet 6 days a week, but you're allowed to have legumes but not fruit, and 1 day a week you get to cheat to your heart's content. I ended up losing some weight on that but I realized that it's not really sustainable because when you have a binge mentality from years of disordered eating, that cheat day becomes really dangerous. You think of all kinds of ways to stuff everything you've wanted ALL WEEK into one day, and you can't rationally think about the idea of 3 cheat meals, its more like a 12 hour nonstop bingefest. And then the next day you wake up feeling ridiculously guilty even though it's supposed to be part of the plan. So I kind of thought, "Okay, maybe I should try calorie counting again and just allowing myself treats throughout the week as long as they're controlled, because that's what I need - control." Naturally this didn't work either, because with a binge mentality you can never allow yourself just a little bit...So that lasted several months. And when I weighed myself recently and found myself heavier than I've ever been in my life, not to mention feeling knee and ankle pain every time I stood up from my desk, I realized I basically needed to send myself to "food rehab" and get myself straightened out again. So here I am. This time I'm thinking I may have to go longer than 30 days because each time I did 30 days, I didn't quite get myself in order.
That's probably way more info than you were looking for haha but there it is :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 5 - DEFINITELY KILL ALL THE THINGS DAY. Today has been just terrible. I finished off yesterday fairly strongly - for dinner, I had leftover chicken tenders with guacamole and afterwards I cooked up some curry meatballs to have for lunch today. When my boyfriend got home, he hadn't eaten dinner so he fixed himself up some ham and cheese rollups with Hellmann's mayo, and that was hard not to want to take a bite of, even though I wasn't really hungry. But I got through it.


Today.....today...I woke up and I was kind of tired but thought I'd be okay, but then my morning just sucked. I'd woken up at a reasonable time but still managed to find myself running late for work, then when I got to work, everything was just a nightmare, and all I could think was how much I wanted to punch everyone and break everything. And by 11am I was starving because my breakfast was a small piece of steak and 2 eggs, no veggies, and somehow not substantial enough. By 1pm, I didn't really want what I'd brought for lunch (which was a few of the curry meatballs over a mashed sweet potato, again no veggies) and was angry that I had to eat it. I ate it all because I knew if I didn't I'd be even worse off. And now my stomach feels weird.


It also doesn't help that I just got my monthly visitor last night, which is probably part of the cause of the grumpiness. I just need today to end. Grr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So thankfully once I left work on Friday (Day 5), things got a whole lot better. Even though I had to stay an extra hour, my boyfriend picked me up from work with our doggies and we ran some errands with/for them (I love my dogs like they're my children so this makes me happy lol). Since we were out and about, we ended up picking up Chipotle for dinner, and I had a nice big salad with double barbacoa meat, mild salsa and guacamole. It was perfect. I ate that while preparing food for Saturday because the plan was to go applepicking and have a picnic with some friends, so I wanted to be sure I had plenty of Whole30 compliant foods to snack on so that I wouldn't feel tempted.


Saturday (Day 6), I had a super rushed breakfast of just 3 scrambled eggs because we had to be out the door fairly early to meet up with our friends. We ended up going to a winery/cafe first, and I was surrounded by my friends drinking wine/cider, eating brick oven pizza and freshly made apple cider donuts. Luckily my boyfriend actually found a Whole30 compliant salad on the menu for me (arugula, cranberries, oranges and toasted almond slices with an orange vinaigrette - I asked for the dressing on the side and it was a good thing I did because it looked creamy...no bueno), so I didn't feel too left out. Then we went to an orchard to go apple picking, after which we had our picnic. Everyone else had brought crackers and cheese, chips, cookies, etc. but I was armed with the Asian sesame wings and ants on a log (celery, almond butter, raisins) I'd prepared the night before. So it wasn't too bad. Plus I had my doggies with me so they were a good distraction. After apple picking, everyone else decided they wanted to go to a nearby creamery for homemade ice cream. Sigh. So I sat outside with my dogs and just hung out. The good thing about going anywhere in public with big, well-behaved dogs is that guaranteed there will be at least 3 people who come by and want to pet them or comment on them, so that's also a good distraction. After THAT we went to our friends' house and by that time I was kind of starving, so we grilled some steak and potatoes and I lived, despite being surrounded by Doritos and more cookies. And alcohol. And that was Saturday.


Yesterday (Day 7), breakfast was 2 fried eggs over mashed sweet potatoes, and lunch was a couple spoonfuls of homemade tuna salad that my mom had made with no mayo (totally realize this is not sufficient lol). Then for dinner we went to ANOTHER friend's house for yet another BBQ, and I brought some carrot and celery sticks and guacamole with me 'cause I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough, or anything, to snack on. Our friends had made BBQ chicken legs and sausage, so I had a chicken leg with the skin off, and a sausage. There were also plates of chips in front of me that I kept having to reach into because our friends' kids kept asking for them. It was so hard not to just pop one into my mouth! Other than that, temptation wasn't too hard to ignore.



Today (Day 8)'s meals:


Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with guacamole, coffee with full-fat coconut milk

Lunch: Flank steak over arugula salad with grape tomatoes, homemade balsamic vinaigrette, banana.


More to come for today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finishing up Day 8, dinner was coconut aminos "teriyaki" flank steak, grilled balsamic asparagus, grilled zucchini, and roasted white potatoes with garlic and rosemary. Soo good.


Day 9

Breakfast: I didn't get to eat until 11:30 because I had the day off and made myself busy cleaning my apartment and running errands, but when I did finally eat, it was leftover dinner - steak, potatoes, asparagus and zucchini.

Lunch: Lobster tails dipped in melted ghee! YUM!!! Also an apple as a snack

Dinner: Roasted turkey breast, brussels sprouts with bacon, roasted sweet potato slices.


I also made some cashew cream and cashew cheese with my mom as an experiment, and tasted a little along the way. Yay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoops I gotta catch up!

Day 10
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs cause I was in a rush again 
:unsure: , black coffee

Lunch: leftover turkey breast, zucchini, asparagus and rosemary potatoes, banana
Dinner: leftover curry meatballs

Day 11
Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with mushrooms and tomatoes, black coffee
Lunch: more leftover turkey, asparagus and zucchini, apple
Dinner: spicy tuna cakes by Nomnompaleo, a couple of Applegate turkey slices while I was cooking

Day 12
Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with mushrooms and tomatoes, black coffee
Lunch: arugula salad with grape tomatoes, leftover spicy tuna cakes, banana
Dinner: half a ribeye steak, mashed potatoes made with ghee and cashew cream, broccoli slaw (Trader Joe's bagged slaw with apple, raisins and almonds, dressed with sesame oil, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, vinegar), coconut aminos "teriyaki" shrimp & pineapple skewer.

I definitely need to fit more veggies into my day  :(
 ...time to go grocery shopping! But otherwise I feel really good still!! Aside from my Kill All The Things day last week, I haven't really felt any real withdrawal symptoms. I've also been in a really good mood and have felt pretty energetic already. Waking up has been kind of hard, but I don't feel groggy, it's more like dragging my feet to go to work  :lol: ...Anyway, so begins another weekend full of non-Whole30 events. Tomorrow our friends are hosting a wine and cheese pairing party. So that'll be interesting since I can't participate whatsoever lol. I'll just make sure to eat enough beforehand and I'll be fine. Sunday is a cousin's son's baptism, but it's my boyfriend's family and they're Colombian which means that there will be tons of food and alcohol, even though this is a religious celebration for a child  <_<  ...lol. We'll see how it all goes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...



So yesterday (Day 20...yep I'm super behind on this food log), I had probably the hardest day on Whole30 so far. And it wasn't necessarily hard to resist temptation, but it was just...frustrating. So, every month I get together with a group of musically-inclined friends in someone's apartment and we sing and act our way through a musical...it's kind of a dorky thing but we all love it, it's fun and allows us to keep our passion for musical theater alive. Anyway, in addition to the musical, we also have a themed potluck, and do a lot of drinking. Yesterday was October's musical, and the theme for the potluck was Italian. So naturally, there was lasagna and pasta for a main dish, with sides of breadsticks, garlic bread, caesar salad, caprese salad, cheese and crackers, and all kinds of delicious desserts and wine. I brought prosciutto and melon so I could at least eat something and unfortunately that was all I could have. So being around all of that was rough because Italian is easily my favorite kind of food, plus I left starving because I couldn't eat all the prosciutto and melon myself, I *did* have to share... <_<


I actually ended up leaving early though because I had another dinner to go to - a farewell dinner for some neighbors of ours - which was held at a local Mexican restaurant. Well, needless to say, I was the only sober one - everyone was having margarita upon margarita. This was mostly because the service was so awful, and they took SO LONG to bring our food out, that the only thing to pass the time was to drink. And at some point, as an apology to us because we'd complained to the manager a couple of times about the crappy service, they brought us a free round of tequila shots. Sigh. On top of all of that, I had to wait an hour to get the meal I'd ordered - a chicken, shrimp and steak salad with beans, corn, jalapenos, avocado, bacon and bleu cheese. I'd specified to the waiter that I didn't want the beans, corn or cheese, and asked for the dressing on the side. He said "oh, that's easy." After an hour of waiting, what did I get? The exact salad on the menu, no adjustments. So I had to send it back (which I hate doing). When I got my second salad, IT STILL HAD CHEESE ON IT!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: I was so pissed and hungry that I just ate the meat and avocado off of the salad (I couldn't really eat any of the lettuce because it had sticky bleu cheese all over the leaves, and the bacon was disgusting), and I complained to the manager who thankfully took it off the bill. I mean, COME ON!! The absolute worst.


And finally, after all of that, I had to go home to go to sleep because I was scheduled to come into work at 6am this morning...oh yes, on a Sunday...while everyone else, including my boyfriend, stayed out and partied until 3am. I mean, I guess it was better that I came home anyway because what kind of fun would it be to hang around a bar with people who were all drunk and drinking while not being able to participate. I mean, happy hour is one thing, but staying out late? I'm too old for that sh*t...especially sober. But I'll tell ya, coming home alone after a night, and actually entire day, like that...it doesn't feel good. I've always felt like Whole30 is a very lonely experience, because no one can really relate unless they're actually going through it with you and are next to you in whatever you're experiencing, and this day just exemplified that feeling.



I guess, bottom line, I probably should have prepared better. But, I didn't really have the time in between events to squeeze in a decent meal. So my eating sucked. And everything sucked. Except for my resolve. So, there's that...







Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you made it through that kind of day and night intact and not going off-road, I commend you and you should be very proud of yourself.  Your statement about Whole 30 being a lonely experience is dead on.  So glad I can come here and read about others who have the same problems or victories that I have, or have other victories that I can see may be in my future if I stick with it!  You did great!!!!  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...