Got it wrong!

Tanya K

So after all the 30 days of being by the book comes to the reintro and lost it! It was my daughters birthday on Wednesday so we had a small piece of cake each that we couldn't finish, very heavy, very sweet and just felt wrong. So later on in the middle of the night I have very bad joint pains in my fingers, ankles,wrists and knees. Last night we went for a meal for a bit of break away from cooking. Starter all compliant no issues, chicken and salad. Had a corner I mean a corner of nan bread and then some pilau rice along with main meal which was compliant also, (obviously rice not). Today, I am in a heap! I might as well have stepped back six months for how I feel today. Extreme exhaustion to the point nearly of tears, very tender muscles name sore joints. I'm cross with myself because I should have had either the nan or the rice last night. I obviously have a problem with grains as I was so sore the night before from the cake. But today is far far far worse. Yesterday after having such a bad night I was able to do normal things and did my yoga etc, had energy, felt good even though sleep was poor, pain dissipated quite quickly throughout the morning. However, I did think that rice would be fine?? I mean could a tiny taste of nan bread make me so ill today? Or is it the rice? You see this is where I got it wrong, I did too much too fast, didn't follow the protocol. In fairness it's there for a reason!! Silly me!

Anyway, what should I do now? Will I do another whole 30 with a very strict reintro? Or wait a while and then do it? In fairness I'm not missing anything, except whole whipped cream! Do I wait until these symptoms pass before trying dairy to see does that have an impact??

The last time I was this poorly was when for one week I decided to eat oats after being grain free for 5 or so weeks. When I stopped the oats the symptoms passed.

To be honest I would stay living on just the compliant foods! I'm quite happy with that! Maybe having a fresh juice every now and again, some paleo treats, but I really don't have that same craving I would have done for something sweet or a snack of cashew nuts etc like before the whole30.

I really and truly believed that I would be fine with the amounts of rice and nan bread I ate last night! Obviously I was wrong. The whole 30 has revealed for one thing that I have serious issues with grains!

• Moderators

Having a reaction to rice is rare. Cake typically includes sugar, dairy, and wheat gluten, but gluten is the most common problem. Nan bread would include wheat gluten too, I think, so that is what I would be most concerned about.

You can stay Whole30-compliant for 2 days (or as long as it takes to feel good again) and then proceed with reintros. 

To be honest nothing worth this pain! Ridiculous! I'm perfectly happy eating my spinach lol! One thing I do want to try in two days is the cream, don't care about milk, never liked it, but I love cream. Fingers crossed. But if it's also bad, so be it! Just the way it goes. I will get over it. :-)

Archived