sausage question (and bacon)

nydebs

Hi -I am on day 16 (3rd time whole 30) and have been having trouble finding sausage that fits without being spicy hot with cayenne etc. I have looked in Whole Foods, Trader Joes , and local markets. all the sweet sausages seem to contain sugar of some kind(like Applegate farms),even whole foods mild italian sausage.I find alot that have dairy also, before this whole 30 I was eating Niman ranch sausages but they all have cheese of some kind..  Am i missing something somewhere? I would love to make sausage and peppers and keep the food budget down too, without them being too too spicy.- thanks.  (also bacon which I have pretty much given up on finding)

• Moderators

I don't like super spicy sausage either -- but when I find sausage I like, I really, really like it. Given a choice between bacon and sausage, I will almost always go for sausage :wub: . I'm fortunate enough to live near a place that makes compliant sausages, and since they do their own butchering, even if they didn't, I'm pretty sure I could special order some.

However, before finding them, I have tried a few different sausage recipes. This one is probably my favorite (I can't remember if I left out the cayenne completely, or just used a very, very scant 1/4 tsp). My biggest complaint with it is that the fennel is a bit overpowering for me, so I'd probably use about half of what she calls for next time -- but you might like it. I think I just don't associate fennel with breakfast sausage, because I'm okay with it in Italian sausage, but with my eggs in the morning, it's weird. The sage definitely makes me think breakfast sausage, though. Maybe it will give you a starting point, anyway, and you can play with the seasonings from there. 

• Moderators

thank you both- I thought of casings and that I needed a machine to make my own but patties are a great idea :)

In Well Fed 2, Melissa Joulwan mentions a gadget called a ham dogger that lets you mold your ground meat into a traditional sausage shape -- if you're into kitchen gadgets. I don't even usually bother making patties, I just brown my sausage in a skillet the way I do ground beef. 

Also in Well Fed 2, there's a whole section she calls Burgers, Balls, and Bangers (or something like that) -- it's basically all seasoned ground meats in a variety of flavors, which you can shape into patties, meatballs, or sausage shapes -- or if you're lazy like I usually am, you could also just brown it loose in the skillet. Many of her recipes are also on her website -- here's a link to everything labeled Meatballs to start with. You might get ideas for other seasonings there, not necessarily sausage, but other ways to flavor ground beef so you can have some variety.

thank you Shannon- I will have to check it out- I like to make things myself if I can  at least once to see if it's better which it usually is :)  I'm now on day 25 and today I found some wonderful Whole 30 compliant sausage! the brand is aidells(.com for the website)  and its a smoked chicken and apple sausage( some varieties of this brand do contain sugar) its GF no nitrates and uses chickens without added hormones. the ingredients are chicken,dried apples,fruit juice concentrate- apple .pineapple,pear and peach(which did scare me a little-I prefer organic apple juice) ,salt celery powder and a pork casing. It doesn't taste overly sweet- in fact it tasted more like a knockwurst than a pork sauage to me-great with mustard and only 2 grams of sugar(frpm the fruit) per large link. I  thought they were very tasty!  I have tried some of Melissas recipes that I found online and loved them- I cant wait to get the book!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived