Is saturated fat harder to digest than other fats?

LisaLulu

I've noticed that I seem to have a limit with certain fats (ghee, fatty meats, coconut oil) where if I eat a lot of it I feel like I'm going to throw up. I can eat equal amounts of avocado oil or olive oil (or olives or avocados) and feel totally fine. It's dose dependent though. I can eat 2 wings off a roast chicken and be fine, but if I eat a whole bunch of wings I get really sick. Any reason why the other oils wouldn't do the same thing? Isn't good fat=good fat= good fat?

On the one hand, I think it's individual. There is a subgroup of Whole30ers who cannot tolerate coconut in any form; another subgroup that loses a day of work if they eat an avocado; etc.

On the other hand, if you can eat some with no problems, it's more likely that you've reached your satiety level for that fat more quickly than for another fat.  Does that make sense for you?  Most folks who have, say, an intolerance for avocadoes, can't eat a morsel. 

I think I figured it out (I knew that biology degree would be useful for something some day!). Saturated fat is more tightly packed (which is why it's solid at room temperature and more stable while cooking), but it also means it's probably harder to break down and digest in your stomach. This is why I feel sick eating large amounts of it but not large amounts of monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated means just one bond to break... So maybe I should just lay off the wings and ghee and stick to drizzling EEVO and avocado.

1 avocado has approximately 4.5 g saturated fat and 2 chicken wings have approximately  3.5 g saturated fat. Chicken fat is actually higher in MUFA's.  I suppose if you are not eating a full avocado at one sitting, you are taking in less saturated fat for that meal than the meal where you eat 2 chicken wings.  Oh well, doesn't really matter as long as you know what works for you :)

Archived