Onto day 3... Start date 9/17.

Yoganaut

Hello! I started (actually re-started) 9/18. I was 12 days in and gave into some wine and tortilla chips. At least the chips were organic . I decided I needed to begin again because I very often rely on wine and a carb to get me through rough days and I no longer want that kind of unhealthy crutch. So until I go 30 days without doing so, I'll be starting over. Which I don't want to do again! I figured reaching out to others on the forum would help me get through those hard moments.

Good luck to you wyndomchick and Yoganaut! Keep us posted.

I started on Wednesday the 17th.   Probably still not eating enough.  Had weight loss surgery 8 years ago...would like to get back off 40 of the 50 pounds I regained, but I'm still proud of the fact that I've kept over a hundred off.  I need to do this regardless....I am so against processed foods.  I see what it does to people.  I am doing fine with it but still have concerns about maybe not enough protein.  Just trying to relax and remember that everybody is different and the best I can do with this is to just not eat what I'm not supposed to eat.  I threw a little pity party this morning....but I'm over it.  I miss my toast and cheese that I had for breakfast every other day.  And the eggs that I ate on the alternate days.....I'm not liking.  It's hard for me to find organic/grass fed meats so I just don't want to have that as a choice for breakfast because I'll have it the other two meals.  I keep thinking this too shall pass...I keep reading the book...and I have faith in this program than if I just keep doing it and marking off each day, one day I will wake up and say, "Hey....I really feel great and this is ok." 

I have had that crutch too for too long KProbst. It's a big reason why I chose to do this "boot camp" approach vs all of the other things that I have tried.

I have to say that THIS is working. Only day 3, but I feel so good so far.

Amy Wildey, my biggest glitch is the pity party that my family members are having, but they will just have to adjust.

Hang in there,

Hi Everyone! My name is Carla. I also started on the 18th and have been having a very 'flu-like' day 3. It is my daughter's 7th Bday, so I am trying to rally! 

A bit about me. I live in Minnesota. I work full time at a pretty intense job. And my husband and I have two kids. My husband is almost at the end of his first Whole 30. He was so great. He did it with a buddy of his who lives across the country. While he did it, I just kept up my usual eating habits. Then one day, I realized that all of my clothes felt like someone had shrunk them in the dryer. "Hey....who put these pants in the dryer?!"  So, I asked him to help me get started. Years ago we did "South Beach Diet" together (before we had kids). Other than that, I don't have much experience with these things.

Its time for me to stop "stress eating" and get back to taking care of the important stuff! But, I feel like its going to be a long (and sort of boring) 30 days.

I will definitely need some buddies to help me along the way.

--Carla

In a way I'm lucky.  My husband is a hunter (and we also have a big garden) and it's almost that time.  He hunts a property three hours from home so he's gone all week....and when he leaves the first time, for opening day...he is gone 10 days straight.  So I have only myself to worry about from Oct 3 thru 16.  I decided to start two weeks early because we have a big family reunion the weekend that I finish this first 30 days and I didn't want to be on it then and have to pick apart all the food there.  It's bad enough that I can't eat gluten and have to be that picky.  But if somebody puts a pinch of sugar in their potato salad, I don't want to have to be asking about that.  I have had a rough day today but I think I figured it out.  I hadn't taken my fish oil supplement since Aug 31!!  I was out of it at the start of vacation and forgot to get it when I got back.  Never again.  It's not supposed to work right away, but I think there is something psychological there....I've gotten it me, so I know help is on the way and I feel better.  We are going out to dinner tonight.  I'm used to navigating the gf world and I can usually find something.  I will probably get a grilled chicken breast, a sweet potato and a salad and take my own dressing.  Hang in there everybody!

If I haven't lost all the weight I want (and that's impossible because I want to lose 40 pounds) then after that reunion, starting that Monday...I think it's Oct 20 or 21...I'm going to go a second round of Whole 30.  That will take me almost up to Thanksgiving. 

Ohhh the headaches and the fake flu are giving me a very tough "day 3." Tonight we took our daughter out for birthday dinner (she turned 7). And tomorrow we are throwing her kickball themed bday party. At least those activities will provide a great distraction.

I also did the part about making some additional goals for myself during the course of the Whole30. Those goals have nothing to do with food. So, that will also give me something else to focus on.

I'll drink some more water before bed and hope for an easygoing Day 4!

--C

Well, here I am at Day 4. Woke up this morning with a headache (water hangover?) and I have soreness everywhere. Maybe I did too much yesterday? Or maybe the Whole 30 timeline is spot on. If so, it might be a tough week; but it's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Today's challenges are hubby coming home from the cabin ~ he wasn't on board with this when he left, and would prefer to have me with pizza in one hand and a beer in the other. That won't be the case today! I have a Whole 30 football table prepared with deviled eggs, veg tray, and,,,,,,,,,,   any suggestions???

Planning to treat myself to a fizzy soda stream using a small amount of fruit and a small amount of concentrated fruit juice for flavor. (I am getting tired of plain water)

Hope your party goes well (stay strong) Carla.

And, Amy did you enjoy your dinner out? I'm not ready for that challenge yet.

Stay strong and have a great day!

Yes, Wyndomchick, I sure did enjoy my dinner out.  I just ordered a safe half pound of steamed shrimp with a little cup of Old Bay and some lemon wedges on the side.  I had gotten some sad news before leaving and my stomach was in knots otherwise I would have gotten a salad.  My beverage was club soda with a slice of lime and it was all delicious.  I'm still not sleeping well and I think that's a lot of my problem.  Also, I had run out of my liquid omega 3s before vacation and just decided to wait until I came back.  But then I was out of the habit of taking it and forgot.  It's been three weeks!  I really think the lack of that has influenced my under the weather feeling.  I had weight loss surgery 8 years ago and I have always taken it.  I used to get the big capsule and break them open into a spoon....because I had a distal procedure and essentially....they are outta me before they have a chance to dissolve and work.  Then I found a liquid.  I felt so much better when I started that.  So I went to the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday to get more and was so sad to see that it contains xylitol. I debated and debated.  I know the sales person really well....been a regular there for 8 years.  He said, "Look.  I'm not trying to sell it to you.  But it's a little xylitol which is natural and it's actually good for your teeth although there is so little in it.  If I needed to take it, I would if I couldn't handle any other form of it.  There is no way that little bit of xylitol is going to mess up everything else you're doing right.  You're not taking it for a sugar fix and it's not going to cause a craving."  So....I am back on it. 

And Wyndomchick, my husband NEEDS this program and he's quite gung ho about ME being on it, but like yours, he says, "Eh, it's not for me."  I think that he might change his mind if he sees results with me.  He's on blood pressure, cholesterol and pre-diabetes medications.  I.....am not on ANY prescription medications...only supplements that I can't get because I can't eat enough.  He's not overweight and he exercises.  I am, I don't....and I have low blood pressure and a steady 94 blood sugar.  Go figure.  I just shake my head.  So, until he leaves, I'm fixing two full meals if I have to but usually I can get away with whatever meat and vegetable is planned and just add a potato or rice and some bread for him like he wants.  I'm not making homemade desserts as usual though....because I don't want to put myself through that at this time.  He sulks but he'll get over it.  It's as much in the interest of his welfare as it is mine.  This is truly a time to lead by example!!  Don't let your hubby make you feel bad!   He can pick up a pizza if he wants!!

Hi everyone! Just popping in before bedtime. Amy, I love the shrimp & Old Bay idea. I wasn't sure if shrimp and shellfish were okay. That sure sounds yummy! I also agree about the xylitol. I don't think that you should be hard on yourself about that. You need to take care of the Whole You!

I was really optimistic about day 4. Woke up with no headache. Yayyy! My husband (who is the main cook in our family), made us a Whole30 approved breakfast (including my leftover baked Yams from a restaurant the day before). 

But...as we started to pack up the activities and party games for our daughter's party...Bang! It happened. The classic Day 4 "Kill all the things" (here is the link: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ ) moment. We broke into an argument and he said to me "Why are you battling me so much today?" Uggghhh! I wish I knew that I was having a Classic Day4 Hangry moment. The party was fun. But, 25 six and seven year olds took whatever energy we had. When we finally got back home from the party and got our kids settled...I collapsed in bed with those "food-flu" like symptoms. So, it is definitely time for me to get some sleep.

Hoping to be less Hangry tomorrow!

--C

Good Morning!  I am on day 6 today (Monday the 22nd)....yesterday wasn't the greatest but compared to my AWFUL day 4 on Saturday, it was much better.  But I THINK I might have turned a corner last night overnight.  I went to bed a little earlier...around 10..didn't fall right to sleep but was very relaxed and I'm sure I was asleep within an hour.  I didn't toss and turn and I had NO pain while lying on the bed in contrast to the past however many (a lot) nights.  I was just...comfortable in my own skin for a change.  I only got up twice to pee....and pee and pee and peeeeee....which I think I can safely attribute to some of this systemic inflammation finally "letting go."  I was still feeling HUGE as of yesterday, but TODAY....I finally have that nice feeling of flatness and like I've been doing something good for myself.  I won't feel like sitting around so much today and that's a really good thing.  Oh...and I awakened naturally at 5 a.m. and for the first time....I got firstmeal in me within an hour.  Things are looking up.  Here's hoping for a great day for all of you!! 

Feeling much better today! And,,, yesterday (football Sunday) went GREAT. Hubby came home and loved the Whole 30 spread that I had prepared. He's coming around to eating better, but still eats his way too. That's good enough!

Carla, congrats on getting through that party! And, Amy, I'm glad that you are feeling better. Are you also taking magnesium? I can tell immediately if I have missed mine. I take the glycinate kind. Really helps with mussel aces and helps with relaxing sleep.

Day 5 is going to be fabulous! I have a frig full of good leftovers from Sunday and plan to do some more pre-cooking for the week. That helps me out so much; having pre-cooked meals. The only thing that is troublesome right now is how much I miss my glass of wine while I cook in the evening. So,,,, I have decided to do my pre-cooking during the mornings when I don't have to work. Then I don't miss the glass of wine!!!!!   

Have a blessed day all !!!

Hi ladies!

I started on the 17th, making today my day 7! 

The good:

Better overall mood, no energy crashes (even if there has been no energy to crash!), not having the obsessive NEED to eat every two hours or so. 

The bad:

Heavy limbs, overall sleepiness, lackluster work outs.

I'm thrilled to be almost a week in! I'm feeling very positive about everything for the most part. Today in the break room there is kettle corn, pink jelly beans, and chips and salsa laid out for everyone. And I'm not too annoyed by it! I consider that a milestone!

Happy Tuesday.

Welcome overyonder!  Great milestone!  Those darn distractions aren't worth it!  Just remember how great you are going to feel in a few weeks.

Day 6 : I'm staying the course today and I'm finding it easier to find great food to eat!

Roasting a chicken with vegetables this afternoon and making gravy from the juices. Then turning the leftovers into chicken soup and chicken salad. Just found that olives are OK. What can I do with those?????

Congratulations everybody...on week one DONE!  It seems like every other day I feel pretty good.  Today I felt kinda rough, but of course I got no sleep last night and had an early and long appointment with the dentist.  Consequently, I haven't eaten much today.  But I got through a week PERFECT and I am thrilled!  Tomorrow will be a better day.  Yes, Wyndomchick, that's the same kind of magnesium I take.  I think part of my "issues" this week is the fact that I had a gluten exposure right before I started.  I have venison bones to roast tomorrow and then I'm going to turn them into bone broth.  I'm hoping I will like it.  I like venison, but usually slathered in some kind of sauce that I've added beef broth to, or in spaghetti sauce.  I think it will be fine.  Hope everyone has an even better week than last.....here...we...go!!

Well, I wanted today to be a good day, but it just was not happening for me. I was so lethargic and out of it today, it was actually quite frustrating. The worst part is I'm feeling crazy bloated and chunky- total opposite of what I've been feeling the past few days! I looked at the timeline, and surprise surprise, Day 8 is the start of "my pants are TIGHTER" phase. It's good to know that the program is working, I suppose, but still so frustrating to have happen anyway. I was really woozy today too, so I had to snack in between meals twice. It was just hard boiled eggs and coconut water, but I still want to try to stick to the whole "no snacking" thing.

On a positive note, I woke up early and easily today and I was actually hungry! That definitly hasn't been the case so far. I usually have to force feed myself in the mornings. No cravings really today either, which was nice. (Except just now my boyfriend was eating peanut butter toast near me and I ordered him into the other room, haha.)

Tomorrow WILL be better! 

Hi everyone - today is day 9 for me (I started on 9/17).

I'm happy with how it's going so far.  No downside except a headache on 2 days that went away after 1 Aleve.

A few benefits I'm experiencing:  mainly the benefit of thinking of food differently.  Eating 3 full meals a day is crazy talk for me, so is having protein and intentional fat at all of them!  :o  But, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I am truly enjoying the heartiness of my meals, and they are definitely satisfying me until the next one.  No need for snacking or cravings.  Especially my late night snacking dragon - he and I have history!  I'm quite shocked actually at how even the thought of snacking is just rare.  I'm a life-long yo-yo dieter and can easily pack on weight when I've fallen off the wagon, so it's an interesting experiment for me to choose to eat differently for a reason other than losing weight.  And I think that it is emotionally more satisfying.  I've definitely lost a few pounds, but don't worry - I'm not weighing myself!

The only thing I'm unsure of, is if I'm eating too much at each meal?  I know I'm filling my plate with the correct portions, but I may be using a jumbo plate for my veggies.  LOL.  I've had a few times where I ended up 7 hours between meals but didn't feel a hunger pang.  Also - I have yet to wake up hungry (but I still make sure to eat within an hour of waking).

Thoughts?

Oh.  My.  Somebody hep me.  I'm not sleeping.  Not last night but the night before I awakened around 3 with unbearable all over body pain.  I couldn't stand for anything to touch the bed but I did feel better semi upright in the recliner where I ended up staying.  Through the day I pushed to get some light housekeeping done.  I didn't eat much.  It's like I have lost my desire for food and I don't have the capacity to eat all the fruits and vegetables the program recommends.  So about the same time during last night...3a.m. ...still no sleep....the nausea hits.  It came on slowly and turned into a crampy, sometimes burning feeling.  I kept thinking I had to go to the bathroom but...nothing.  I finally got up an hour ago.  I THINK this is the "low carb flu" and I came to my desk to look up and see if there is anything that might relieve it.  I feel like the same things that help morning sickness (feels a lot like that) would help....but I can't have any of that: saltines, ginger snaps, gingerale.  I can suffer through it if I know it's for the greater good but I wonder how long it goes on.  The thoughts of food sent me running to the bathroom a while ago with dry heaves.  I have to make a round trip to my hometown tomorrow and it's 3 hours away.  If it was today....I couldn't do it.  I am DOWN. 

Oh,,, Amy, I'm so sorry that you are having trouble. I hope that you don't have a non-Whole 30-related virus. Maybe the flu? Please get as much rest today as you possibly can. As far as eating, I relate with you. I have trouble eating as much as I am supposed to; I don't worry about it, and then I have some meals where I do eat well.

Is there anything type of food would sooth you?  Something bland, maybe a bit of baked white potato to give you a bit of energy? And, even if it's not fun, push the water too!

Worried about you,  please let me know how you are feeling later,,,,,, :(

Day 10... So glad I'm finally in the double digits!  Feeling good, but definately in the bloated stage. Sometimes I think that I actually am starting to have a waist, then after 4-5 glasses of water I again feel like a whale. Hope that the timeline is accurate and this will disappear early next week.

Today, I MUST plan a week of meals. I have started just winging it, and I know how that can turn into disaster quickly. Starting this task right now  ~

Happy weekend everyone!

Archived