Onto day 3... Start date 9/17.

Yoganaut

Oh no Amy, how terrible. That sounds less like the carb flu and more like the old fashioned flu! I hope you are feeling a bit better by now.

My Day 10 was great. I played hooky from work and went for a 10 mile trail run where was totally expecting to run out of energy, but never did. I brought along some raisins and dried apple to keep my energy up and ate them more out of habit than the need to "refuel." Boy did I savor them! I haven't had any dried fruit since starting the Whole 30 since it's a major trigger food for me. Who knew that raisins and dried apple could be so decadent and satisfying! It was like I was eating a doughnut or something :blink: It was so good to get out and run again and not feel like I have lead legs.

Hopefully things will keep looking up for everyone. We are a third of the way through, woo hoo!

Hi everyone. So sorry to be out of the loop. I didn't seem to get any flags or reminders to say that there were new posts. How do I make sure to follow the thread?

Anyway...how is everyone? Day 16! WoooHooo! I will read everyone's posts to get caught up. I am feeling good. But, at times of boredom, I sure miss snacking.

Sure hope all of you are having great success. I am going to dive into all the messages I have missed.

Day 17  ~ Everything is going great, except for a nasty cold. Hopefully the worst is over. It was hard not to resort to comfort (bad) food when I was feeling so down.  Looking forward to tomorrow, day 18!

The good things:   Clothes are fitting so much better, no clouded thinking anymore, and no more dropping like a rock at 3:30 PM.

Welcome back Carla!

Carla- boredom is when I've noticed I think of snacking too :(

I just found out the balsamic vinegar I've been using has sulfites. I'm so upset! I haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet. I was considering extending my whole30 to a whole45 so this stupid mistake has pretty much sealed the deal. I'd rather think of it that way than saying I'm staring over. Sigh.

*update* I'm going to be ok! I did some checking around the forums to better understand sulfites and found that vinegar can be unique. When sulfites is not an added ingredient, but rather listed separately because they're naturally occurring, then it is ok. Such is the case with my vinegar - yay!

Saw your post Carla and jumped out of bed to check my balsamic vinegar (only a food nerd would do that  :D ). Thank you for clearing up the sulfide issue. Mine is acceptable too. But, with only two weeks left, this is day 18, I have been seriously thinking of extending my Whole 30 to a Whole 45. Any idea how that works?  Will the daily emails still continue? or will I need to re-register?

Except for getting over a bad cold, I haven't felt this good in a very long time. I definitely want to continue along this path.

Have an exceptional day!

Hi wyndomchick - that's a good question about the emails. I'm not sure what you should do if you want to keep receiving them. If a mod doesn't chime in here, maybe that has been discussed elsewhere on the forums?

I'm becoming a food nerd too! :). Hope that cold goes away soon!

I have been thinking about illnesses and the whole30. I wonder if we experience less symptoms or a shorter duration of cold and flu symptoms after we have a whole30 under our belt and don't off-road too much afterwards. I don't know if that's been discussed in the forums. I'm going to go check it out!

I hope your cold has cleared up wyndomchick! On Friday night I felt a cold coming on...runny nose, congestion, scratchy throat, etc. I'm a preschool teacher so I am always catching whatever the kids have, ugh. But I was pleasantly surprised that on Saturday morning I was fine! I definitely attribute the fast immune system response in part to the diet. 

It's Day 21 for me. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and got weighed! Oops! I closed my eyes on the scale but still accidentally got a peek. I'm down a few pounds, though weight loss isn't really a factor for me. Other than that it was a great appointment. I saw my gastroenterologist to follow up on a recent diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis (a big reason why I started the Whole 30). She was very supportive of me trying to manage the disease with diet, I was pleasantly surprised! I haven't had any symptoms or flare ups since starting the diet....just another one of the many benefits of focusing on eating real food  :) . 

I had a dream two nights ago that I accidentally drank half of a diet coke! I was so mad at myself (and relieved when I woke up and realized it was only a dream). My dreams have been very vivid the past week or so. I'm sleeping longer and more soundly, so I'm assuming the dreams are related to that. Any body else have crazy dreams?

Overyonder, I am so glad to hear that your gastro symptoms are laying low. What a wonderful outcome of a food-based change!

Wyndom, glad you are feeling better.

Amy, how's the sleep? any better? I don't seem to be falling quickly to sleep. I seem to have one steady state of good energy all day (this is a big change for me. I am usually 'not a morning person'). But, it is crazy that I end the day...still energized. I need to find the right wind-down strategy (instead of doing work emails up until the bitter end).

Today was Day 20. The routine is becoming so 'normal' that I almost lost count of the day. I must admit, I am eating mostly the same things all the time. Life is so hectic. We haven't done much Whole30 recipe cooking. But, this thing is so life-changing (more than I expected it to be), that I want to figure out how to carry on for the long-term. If I do that, my husband and I are going to need to branch out.

One of the changes that seems to be happening in my systems is related to asthma and eczema. Although I never ate much dairy (lactose intolerant) My nasal passages are clear like never before. But, I have been so perplexed that my skin didn't get any better. Then, tonight, when I was cleaning up my bathroom sink, I caught a glimpse of the skin on my face. It wasn't perfect. But, the dark circles I have had for my whole life seem to be fading away. And other eczema patches are calming down. I have always had the dark circles. I am sort of in shock.

I don't know what lies ahead. I'm a bit scared of what food can be reincorporated. But, I will trust that many have been on this journey. And there is lots of available info for us to learn from.

Wishing everyone luck in these last 9 or 10 days. And remember (as the blog says) 28 is not the same as 30. Let do this!

--C

I hope your cold has cleared up wyndomchick! On Friday night I felt a cold coming on...runny nose, congestion, scratchy throat, etc. I'm a preschool teacher so I am always catching whatever the kids have, ugh. But I was pleasantly surprised that on Saturday morning I was fine! I definitely attribute the fast immune system response in part to the diet. 

It's Day 21 for me. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and got weighed! Oops! I closed my eyes on the scale but still accidentally got a peek. I'm down a few pounds, though weight loss isn't really a factor for me. Other than that it was a great appointment. I saw my gastroenterologist to follow up on a recent diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis (a big reason why I started the Whole 30). She was very supportive of me trying to manage the disease with diet, I was pleasantly surprised! I haven't had any symptoms or flare ups since starting the diet....just another one of the many benefits of focusing on eating real food  :) . 

I had a dream two nights ago that I accidentally drank half of a diet coke! I was so mad at myself (and relieved when I woke up and realized it was only a dream). My dreams have been very vivid the past week or so. I'm sleeping longer and more soundly, so I'm assuming the dreams are related to that. Any body else have crazy dreams?

Yes I have been having the worst dreams. That is why I'm up right now on the forum because of a bad dream and I am wide awake now. . My day 30 is Tuesday. I do sleep better if it were not for the dreams and having to go to the bathroom at night. Hope everyone on this forum is doing ok on there whole30. I feel like the third week was the hardest for me to stay on track. I plan on doing a whole 60 but I am going to weigh myself on day 31 can't wait. Stay strong

my dreams seem to be more vivid. And sometimes, I am wide awake when it is time to go to bed. Not used to having this sort of alert energy.

I will actually weigh myself on day 28, because I will be traveling and away from my home scale on day 30/31. 

Its funny, as I near the end of my W30...I feel like I'm only getting started. I definitely ned some more time to let these changes take hold. And now, I'm sort of afraid of what will happen if I have some gluten or legumes. very nervous about that. Not nervous about that first glass of wine! Looking forward to that one!

--C

Hi all!

Dreams/nightmares are still intense over here. That's the only (semi) downside of the process so far.

I've been trying to decide what to reintroduce first, but I'm having a hard time deciding, so I'm just going to follow the reintroduction protocol as outlined here:

http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

Legumes, then non gluten grains, then dairy, and then gluten. Except I'm thinking I'm going to add a separate introduction for soy instead of lumping it together with legumes. What are your guys' reintroduce plans looking like? I'm definitely making a paleo (but SWYPO) treat on day 31, but I haven't decided what.

I can relate with being nervous, Carla. I'm definitely scared that I'm going to have reactions to everything. 

I can't believe its almost over! 

Wow - we're almost at day 30?  The last 2 weeks have flown by...I had to come here to find out what day I was on! LOL

Its funny, as I near the end of my W30...I feel like I'm only getting started. I definitely ned some more time to let these changes take hold.

Carla - I definitely feel the same way!  Every week of this been interesting in it's own way.  My only disappointment has been that every week I had something off-road without knowing it.  So while I chose to not start over, I know that I have made huge strides with my relationship with food.  I can't do another 30 immediately due to travel, but will again asap.  And I hope I learned all of my lessons this time so that I will not have one single mistake next time :)

I have a vacation to visit my dad next weekend.  He lives in a small town, and I won't have my easy access to staying compliant.  So, my reintroduction plan is going to start about 4-5 days before I go (I'll be compliant until Monday).  My strategy so far is to reintroduce the things I predict may be unavoidable while there.  Soy, dairy, and rice.  I know that means only reintroducing each of those for a day or two, but maybe I'll hold off on the rice until I'm actually on my trip. 

I only have some slight nervousness about feelings of illness/reactions to reintroductions.  I've never had any problems with any foods in my past, so I'm hoping I'll be ok.  Although now that my gut is free of inflammation....who knows?

My biggest fear is my psychological relationship with food.  I've never treated food as nourishment.  I've always treated it as a treat, or evil, and have binged, hidden my eating, etc.  My earliest memories of this is from my early teens.  It's sad.  So - I have to be very mindful of how I reintroduce foods that bring out my dragons and my abuse of food.  This is going to be a work in progress for a while, I'm sure. 

Fortunately, I find eating Whole30 style very satisfying.  So after my trip, I'm going to do a Whole 14 or so, then do a proper reintroduction as you've mentioned overyonder, and then eat Whole30 style as often as possible, with only planned off-roading.

I feel very empowered!

How is everyone's reintro going?!? I'm so curious!

I've been staying pretty compliant. Except for on day 31 I might have gone a little crazy and eaten a whole Trader Joes 72% dark chocolate bar. Whoops. And on day 32 I made paleo pancakes with raspberry sauce. They were just coconut flour, eggs, and bananas! But I still felt guilty  :unsure:

So far I've reintroduced legumes and non gluten grains. Legumes gave me the usual beany reactions- smelly gas, bloating, loose stool the next day, etc. Peanut butter specifically gave me a tummy ache for about an hour after I ate it. The day after legumes I had zero energy. My tiger blood was totally gone. I'm not sure if it was from the chocolate or the beans the day before, or the from the tiny amount of maple syrup from the pancakes that morning. I'll try to reintroduce beans again, maybe one type at a time, in the near future.

Today I reintroduced non gluten grains. Had some corn tortillas and tortilla chips (holy yum!) this morning, quinoa in my salad for lunch, and some gluten free (brown rice/quinoa blend) pasta with dinner. No reactions at all yet. We'll see how I feel and look tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

I haven't tried any reintros yet. I feel like I'm in such a zone I'm not really interested. Wow - that's surprising me!

But I really should do a couple of things since I'm going on a mini vacation this Friday and would hate to have reactions to foods while traveling. I may do soy and chocolate. :) or I may need to think it through some more.

Thank you for sharing your reintros and reactions overyonder! It helps me know what to pay attention to and look out for as far as reactions go.

Archived