Starting Mon Sept 22

kamamac

Lucinda and Meili, we are in good company.  I am always up to try the new latest diet.... but I think that is the problem.  They are just DIETS.  We need a WAY OF LIFE!

Today is day one for me.  My plan to shop and prep yesterday got derailed by a sweet surprise all-day excursion from my boyfriend, but that won't stop me!  I had a spinach, tomato, onion fritatta and decaf with coconut milk this morning.  I don't usually do breakfast (other than coffee with lots of flavored creamer) so it was a little challenging choking the whole thing down.  But i did it.  And the coconut milk in my coffee was great...super creamy, just not very sweet, but I liked it!

I will go to the store at lunchtime for some deli meat, avo, lettuce, cuke, tomatoes and make some roll-ups for lunch.  I am volunteering at a Silent Auction tonight so will have to find some way to get a decent, compliant salad for dinner.  This will be tough since I didn't get to prep yesterday, but delaying my start is not an option.  I can do this. I WILL do this.

Good luck everyone!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting today as well! I'm 24 and lost all of my baby weight and then some and am now ready to just kick it into high gear with the weight lifting to tone and muscle up.  Whole 30 is the best way for that.  Message or friend me if we want to be buddies!  

Good morning everyone...I love the positive energy going on!!

Meili- I too am a stay at home mom and find the refrigerator all too inviting! I try to keep healthy alternatives to snacking like sweet potato chips, nuts, and fruits around. And also constantly read up on new recipes to try. It keeps my mind busy.

Reading these posts keep me going and focused...thanks ladies n gents for sharing your journey with me! Have a good one :)

Hi everyone!  Today is Day 1 of my 3rd Whole30.  I had great results with my previous two but each time gradually fell back into poor eating habits.  I can feel that my body is just not right; hormones are all out of whack, I'm gaining weight at breakneck speed, and just can't get motivated to do much of anything.  I've signed up for an obstacle/mud run for early November hoping that would give me the kick in the butt I need to get off the couch and into the gym but time is running out.  I want to nourish my body the right way and hope that energy will follow.  I'd love to check in here periodically to see how everyone else is doing and to share ideas and challenges as I meet them.  Let's do this!!!

Jennifer

Hi everybody!  Completed day 1 and on my way to bed.  (Although I should went to bed a hour ago.)  I know how important sleep is for you.  

Excited for another day of Whole 30 with everybody's support.  

My goal is to get my eczema under control.  Hard to have moderate eczema when you work in the dermatology field.

Get rid of this intermittent body aches and fatigue I get once a month;(

Would love to lose a few pounds(but won't weigh myself until the end of the month)

Good luck everybody on Day 2.  

Lets do this!!!

I started on Sunday, I'm living the food, but life sure throws a few obstacles in the way. Still it's about being adaptable and refusing to those away the previous days of good work.

An unexpected event at work means I'm unlikely to be able to eat most of the food I've prepared for lunch but I'd rather risk being a little hungry for a couple of hours than eat a non compliant meal even at this early stage where I could easily restart.

Once I give in its very difficult for me to go back.

Hi lexybelle, just want to encourage you to keep on with the plan. I feel like you are always going to have curve balls thrown your way....it's life. Don't let a mix up at work derail...YOU CAN DO IT! Now that you know these things come up, try to have a plan b planned for those circumstances. Hope you have a great W30 day!

Good morning from damp, rainy Ireland!  Hope you are all well.   I have just discovered that the vitamin capsule I take has rice bran in it.   :angry: Sadly I only discovered that after I had swallowed it!  Never mind, nothing I can do about it now!  I guess I will leave the vitamins until after the 30 days are up.

Does anyone else use Cron-o-meter to track their food intake?  I have got to say I love it - although clearly it cannot be totally accurate by the very nature of reporting/food differences etc, but I am consistently low on calcium which is interesting.  Mind you, I am probably not low when I am eating cheese and yogurt, but it is clearly one to watch if I don't reintroduce dairy.

Have a lovely day!

Lucinda

Hello and how is it going everyone?  Day 3 and going strong here!  :-)

@lexybelle: Well done, very good determination!! 

@LJT: Yes you are right, it has to become a way of life.  I hope in 30days we will be able to reset our body and mind and completely throw out the idea of "dieting"

@Lucinda:  I have decided to stop baking at home, if I don't bake then there is no "healthy cakes" lying around to snack on.  Do you think that sounds crazy?I am also very addicted to nuts and lately nut butter to make matter worse, I would actually cut up a whole lots of cucumbers just so I can spread peanut butter on it and convince myself that I am eating something healthy :-S  I use fitness pal to track my calories on somedays but I am trying not to do that now, if we can use the whole30 guideline on food portion, I reckon we shouldn't fuss on the calories?  I am trying to be less obsess with food.... 

Good Morning everyone!!  So happy to have such a wonderful supportive group!  That we've all happened here to start Whole30 is such a gift!  Day 1 went really well for me - just can't do black coffee...  trying tea this morning :)  

@Lucinda - I've wondered about calcium too.  Made a batch of bone broth yesterday that should help there.  I have always been suspicious that the calcium in dairy products is not easily used by our bodies.... Strength training is also good for bone density,

Anyway, onward and upward - I hope everyone has a fabulous day eating super healthy whole foods

Kat

@Lucinda - I've wondered about calcium too.  Made a batch of bone broth yesterday that should help there.  I have always been suspicious that the calcium in dairy products is not easily used by our bodies.... Strength training is also good for bone density,

Kat

Hi Kat, I need to make some bone broth, I have been saving chicken carcasses in the freezer so will get round to it this weekend.  I actually had blood taken this morning (to keep an eye on my thyroid function) and the nurse said they could check for calcium and iron at the same time at no extra charge, so I will know if I am ok by next week.  

@Lucinda:  I have decided to stop baking at home, if I don't bake then there is no "healthy cakes" lying around to snack on.  Do you think that sounds crazy?I am also very addicted to nuts and lately nut butter to make matter worse, I would actually cut up a whole lots of cucumbers just so I can spread peanut butter on it and convince myself that I am eating something healthy :-S  I use fitness pal to track my calories on somedays but I am trying not to do that now, if we can use the whole30 guideline on food portion, I reckon we shouldn't fuss on the calories?  I am trying to be less obsess with food.... 

@meili - you are right - no baking  :( well no baking for 30 days anyway!  I use MFP sometimes too, but the information at Cronometer is better from the point of view of minerals and vitamins.  I have it set to maintain weight and just use it for interest - I am a bit geeky like that.

Hi all... it is so encouraging to see everyone working so hard to stay on track, and comforting to know I'm not the only one who is facing these challenges. 

@lexybelle... so proud of you for making it work.  My day was similar  :-/

Yesterday was day two for me and boy was it a challenge!  I didn't get to prep Sunday so I went to Sprouts Market at lunch and stocked up. Had a great lunch and prepped a second portion for dinner to take to the volunteer event i was going to.  But... my boss locked himself on a con call in the room with the fridge as I had to leave so I couldn't get in to get my meal!  Thankfully, the event was catered by a restaurant I know well and they had one compliant dish there, roasted chicken  and veggies with nothing but olive oil and herbs. So Thankful.  And I was polite but strong when well meaning volunteer plopped down a plate of dessert and glass of wine as an end of night gift for me. Ugh... it looked and smelled heavenly.  But I just let it sit there and kept up my work.

Ready for a super day 3.  

One thing i miss that i didn't think i would.... gum!  I guess i didn't realize how unconsciously i grab for it about once a day.  bummer.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

-Laura

@meili its sounds like nut butter might be a no brakes food for you and therefore the programme would say not to eat it- from what I understand anyway.

@ meili @ Lucinda again how I understand the programme is not to be tracking calories at all and use the meal template to build our meals.... I deleted all weightloss apps to resist the urge to count calories, plot weight etc... I'm a former seriel dieter and I'm have to work hard to deliberately add fat, not track every bite etc.

Hi ladies, 

I'm a little late to the party but starting today.  Was on a trip over the weekend and needed yesterday to prep, so here I go!  My hubby is also doing Whole30 but he's awfully lackadaisical about it, so I'm not so confident he'll be my buddy.  I need like-minded people!

Also a stay at home mom - it's SO EASY to roam into the kitchen and dig into leftovers. New habits need to be set. 

@LJT, way to work your way around those work challenges!  Doesn't your boss have an office for heaven's sake?

@ Lucinda and @Kat, if you're eating lots of leafy greens (which I would think we all are) you should be fine on the calcium and really everything else.  Vitamins shouldn't be necessary at all.

@lexybelle, I'm deleting MFP--that's a great idea.  Just eat what your body needs, right?

Thanks WOM!

Good morning everyone...on to day three. So happy to hear everyone is doing so well! My 1st challenge came at me at 1am this morning, I couldn't sleep and woke up starving! A bad food habit of mine is snacking late in the nit/early in the am. I felt that I ate enough at dinner time, following the meal plan template...not sure what when wrong? Any how, I pushed through it and decided to drink a bottle of water and managed to fall back asleep. I woke up this morning fine, hungry but not stomach rumbling hungry. Guess my mind was playing tricks on me?!

Let's keep our eyes on the prize...a healthier new us! I know if we stick with it, we won't be disappointed. Feeling good about making better choices hope you are too! Have a great day :)

-Chaffee

I'm drinking a ton of water, more than the W30 guideline of 1/2 oz for every pound. I'm thinking my body is used to just getting up to snack and even though I had healthy snack options, didn't think I should indulge at 1am n go back to bed. Will have to let my body and mind adjust to the change. Thanks for the feedback!

- Chaffee

Hello, all.  I started yesterday (9/22), too.  This will be my fourth W30.  My problem is not W30.  I seem to be really good at doing W30.  It's when I fall down the sugar hole at some point after!  :angry:  I don't own a scale, so I can't say for sure, but I think I've kept my weight down to where it was after my first W30 (finished in April 2013), but I've gained back the weight I lost after that first one.  So, net result is that I'm better off than I was before I did my first W30 - not just in terms of weight, but other issues as well - and I've learned what I need to be doing to feel even better. 

I really like to cook, and much more often than not, I'd rather eat some of my homemade W30-compliant food than whatever else is out there.  I think what happens is that, after I while, I fall into the poor preparation/time suck trap between work, family, making too many different meals to suit different tastes...you get the picture, and then the sugar dragon awakens and is difficult to shake.  Plus, the dishes..oh the dishes.  I often run my dishwasher 2 or 3 times a day and still have to handwash some stuff!

There are a lot of first-timers in this group, so if you're interested, my suggestions are below.  I ask that you take them as intended - to be helpful - and also with a grain of salt - I am no expert, but I have completed 3 successful W30s and read LOTS of forum posts where my views were corroborated by other W30ers.  Hopefully these will resonate with some of you.

1) You'll probably need more food when you first start out than once you fat-adapt and figure out the whole 3 meals a day thing.  So, please, do NOT freak out about how much food you're eating and/or always aim for the low end of the food template.  Give yourself and break and trust the plan.  See below regarding being mindful about snacks and adjusting your meal sizes, as needed.

2) Don't totally demonize snacks.  Snacks can be very important, particularly in the beginning as you adapt.  BUT try to learn from the occasions when you feel the need to snack and adjust your meal portions AND go with the mini-meal construct instead of grabbing nuts/nut butter and fruit or a Larabar or something.  (I actually don't get the Larabar thing - they're too sweet for me and make me want to eat more!)  Does this mean that I have been perfect and never grabbed a handful of nuts and dried fruit?  Heck no, but I strive to do better. 

3) For me (and many other Forum posters), it is critical to have a hearty breakfast that does not contain any fruit.  (I really find I have to limit my fruit and tend to only have it at the end of the day.)  When I deviate from this self-imposed rule, I suffer for it with a day of the hungries.  It is really helpful for me to bulk up breakfast with some nutrient dense and, yes, even carb-dense veggies - e.g., braised kale, some sweet potato or squash.  Also, I do much better if there is some meat in my breakfast and not just eggs for the protein.  Leftovers are great, as many people talk about on this Forum, but my go-to breakfast is homemade sausage meatballs (riff on the bacon meatballs on paleomg.com) with some veggies.

That was a much longer post than I'd intended.  Sorry about that!  Good luck everyone!

Alyson

I'm drinking a ton of water, more than the W30 guideline of 1/2 oz for every pound. I'm thinking my body is used to just getting up to snack and even though I had healthy snack options, didn't think I should indulge at 1am n go back to bed. Will have to let my body and mind adjust to the change. Thanks for the feedback!

- Chaffee

For what it's worth, I've always found I had to drink crazy amounts of water in the beginning of my W30s.  The need decreased for me after a bit each time, but of course, it's important to keep drinking a lot throughout a W30 (just maybe not have-to-go-to-the-bathroom-umpteen-times-a-day amounts ;-).

LOL @schachts.... he was actually in HIS office.  He just lets me use the fridge in there.  It's totally my fault for not getting my food out earlier, but I had no idea he had that call scheduled.  Thankfully it all ended well, and now I have lunch already here at work for me today.  :)

@Alyson...super excited to have an 'experienced' W30er with us!  I think we each need to do our best, and do what we feel is best for us as an individual (listen to our own bodies), but I LOVE hearing your suggestions as they come with loads of experience.  I am struggling horribly with eating breakfast, which I usually don't eat.  I am trying to ease my stomach into the idea of morning food with coffee w/coconut milk first thing. I brought breakfast to work to eat an hour or so after I got here and was able to get it down okay.  I got nauseous yesterday eating my fritatta at 7:00am.  It was delish, but my stomach is just not used to food that early.  I'll have to keep experimenting and journaling how my body reacts till I find a good system.

@Chaffee...i hate water, but am doing better than I expected on getting it down each day.  I know I can't add flavor (other than lemon or the likes).  I forget, can we have Chia seeds?

-Laura

Archived