Starting Mon Sept 22

kamamac

Way to go Sam! Your omelet sounds wonderful. Sarah, thank you for tip on NomNom app. I just downloaded and homemade mayo is

in my near future.

A few things I love about Whole30 so far...

5. Ghee

4. Connecting with others on the Forum

3. Trying new food preparations

2. Flatter tummy Day 4

And my number 1 favorite thing about Whole30.... Not weighing myself for 30 days!!!

Good luck out there!

Kellygirl

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, Day 5 and still alive...what doesn't kill us will make us stronger, right?!! And stronger I am, day by day. I haven't experienced "kill all the things" but I have been extremely tired the past couple days. I normal would grab a red bull or two as my quick fix or a Starbucks grande triple iced white mocha...yuck right?!! Here's to making healthier better choices! Cheers (with my sugar free green tea) :)

Hope everyone is staying motivated! We can do this!!

-Chaffee

Hey everyone, I am late to the party, but I started on Tuesday.

This is also my 3rd Whole 30, and like others, I found myself going back little by little to sugar until it was not something I could control and I was gaining weight back. Plus I was feeling like total crap, so I said "enough is enough!".

Day 2 was the worst I have felt in a long time. I had a headache that wrapped around my head from my temple, to the back of my head. It even made my neck tense. I had planned to workout, but instead I laid on the couch, popped some Advil and went to bed at 10pm to get 8 hours of sleep. BOY was that what I needed!! Day 3 is going a lot better, no headache, not angry (yet). Good things.

Hope everyone else is having a good day!

Hey everyone! 

Xine23, it sounds like we are in the same boat...I'm so very tired of feeling like crap.  I'm also on my 3rd 30 and I'm really hoping that this time around I can make a lot of these habits stick.  I am seriously considering a whole 30+ to really banish the cravings. 

I'm feeling surprisingly good on Day 4.  I luckily did not face a hangover and have not really felt the desire to Kill All the Things, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I skip those stages this time around.  I'm sleeping well and feeling really rested in the morning, even this morning when my daughter woke me up at 4:30 and 5:00 before my 5:30 alarm.  Normally I would be dragging and dependent on my coffee to get going.  My kid's snacking is making things a little tempting but I'm not going to start over for a pretzel :) 

Love that everyone is here to support each other.  This is the first time using the forum and I am enjoying sharing the journey with everyone else. 

Jen

End of day 4. 

Grieving popcorn and chocolate.   Had some tough moments in the grocery store today.  

Did not buy the kettle corn even though my kids requested it as their weekend treat.   Just cannot have it in the house.   They got over it.  

Hope you all had a good day.

Kellygirl 

P.S Any survival tips for a weekend 40th birthday party would be appreciated.  (invite boasts  Dinner, Dancing & Dessert under the stars...).  Would it be weird and obvious if I just skipped dinner and dessert and danced the night away?  Who would notice?  I know my husband will be happy to eat my share of dessert.

Seriously, I am nervous about this one.   How do I stay Whole30 compliant at a special party like that?     

@kellygirl  Eat before you go so you are not hungry - is it at a restaurant or at someone's home?  Is it something that you will be seated at?  If it is buffet you should be able to go for the meat/fish/vegetable option.  If at a restaurant, talk to the waiter/waitress and see if you can get your food without sauces.  If it is something that you can  walk about at then you need to do the "oh yes, I had desert when I was sitting over there" - that sort of thing.  

Can I have a whinge?  - I am doing the autoimmune which is much more restricted, when I search for interesting recipes I would say that at least three quarters of what comes up is all fake paleo sweet things - and they call contain sugar - why do so few people seem to understand that sugar is sugar no matter what kind of 'natural' you call it!  Grrrrrr.   

I'm late checking in.  I started on Monday and am doing pretty well.  I've tried to eat mostly paleo for the last couple years, but I find that eventually the sugar dragon comes back and before I know it, I'm fully addicted again.  I think the approach of getting rid of all the sugar and fake sugar is going to be really good for me.  Reading everyone's posts, I guess I'm pretty lucky in that I seem to be skipping the hangover stage.  I'm not bursting with energy or anything, but my mood is good and my energy level is slightly improved.  I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I'm sleeping better.  So, so far, so good.

A little about me.  I'm 44, happily married, mom to a 12 year old son with autism.  I'm also about 150 pounds overweight.  No matter what I've tried, I've been stuck at this same weight for a long time now.  I'll go up/down ten pounds, but always seem to settle back in.  I'm hoping that this program really will be the answer I've been praying for.  I know I have issues with insulin, cortisol, etc.  So, I'm hopeful.

Hey ReneeMB - I'm sleeping better too.. because instead of sitting and watching tv at night and eating snacks and drinking wine.. I just go to bed.. lol.. 

Before I had cancer.. I was working out a lot and I lost 50 lbs.. what really helped was the nutrition and doing some weight lifting. Those muscles burn a lot more calories. I know it's so hard at first.. I've gained about 70 lbs after treatment and need to get it off AGAIN.. but we can do this! 

I know it's hard being the mom and having to do all the cooking for everyone and taking care of kids just adds to the everyday streess, especially if your son has some challenges.  But hang in there.. be a good healthy eating example for your family. Your son needs you to be healthy and around for him, just like my son does. 

:)  Hugs.

@sam_I_am  Do you have the book "It Starts with food?" On page 276-277  they have a recipe for paleo mayo.. then you add a few things.. and boom.. Ranch dip. it's super thick and it was really good with my raw carrots yesterday. I tried to post a pic here of the recipe.. but no bueno.

Oh, I found this link.. it's so good..

http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/

Fantastic tips Lucinda. Party is at the home of bday girl and I'm sure it will be a catered, fancy affair. One hope I have is her bro-in-law is a calif crossfit champion so maybe there will be some good options?!? Who knows. I like the idea of eating first and wandering around with my club soda and lemon and chatting it up so I'm less inclined to eat.

ReneeMB and AFillmore, thank you for sharing. I too have a child with high-needs, one of my 9 year old twins was born with a very rare chromosomal abnormality so I know all too well the stress and strain of chronic worry and medical issues etc... We tend to put our needs at the bottom of everyone else's ( moms in general do this) but what we really need to do is strengthen ourselves, body, mind, spirit first so we can deal with the many challenging unknowns that life presents. That's what this 30 days is for me. A commitment to me from me for me! I know that when I am good to myself( exercise, eat clean, make time for friends and fun) I am a better mother, wife and friend and I feel like a human being. We all deserve that! It's not selfish! It's self preservation!!!

Off my soapbox.

Have a beautiful day!

XO

Kellygirl

Hi all and happy day 5 (or thereabouts) to everyone!

AFillmore - thanks for the link- great additions to the plain old mayo...that basil garlic mayo is calling my name.  I made a batch of the plain mayo last night and used it for carrot dip too - I love dipping veggies in some kind of sauce/ dressing, especially raw veggies which I generally prefer over cooked.

Welcome ReneeMB!

Lucinda, I hear you on the whole sugar thing, and you have my respect for being on an even more restrictive plan than plain whole30. It's been a funny experience for my kids to ask what I "can" have: can you have ice cream? No. Can you have yogurt -its a good source of protein mom? No. What about greek? No.

Explaining how pervasive sugars are, and how sweetened just about everything is is an eye-opener for them. In their minds, anything that isn't candy per se is healthy. We've been having this dialogue about healthy foods their whole lives and they are just starting to recognize how sugar and other not-so-great foods make them feel. Was I happy when my daughter threw up a few hours after a sugar-fest birthday party? Yeah, a little bit. Especially when she said "I don't think all that food was good for me".  Life is such a great teacher. No I didn't do a happy dance - just cleaned her up, agreed about the food and moved on.

kellygirl - good for you!  Yes, we are all happier/kinder/more generous people when we are able to take care of our needs too.  The extra time/effort/money it takes to prepare healthy foods reaps its benefits in ten-fold for giving us the energy and attitude to take care of others in our lives. And good luck at the party - we're rooting for you!

Have a great weekend all. I'm a bit nervous about the weekend...being around the house more where all of that noncompliant food lives....will take greater willpower. Hmm, maybe some trips outside and about are in order.

Coming to the end of day 6, feeling good and much more adventurous in kitchen! I can cook well but I've always stuck to a limited range since I'm cooking for one.

So thankful that I'm getting better organised thanks to this. Again the coffee room at work if full of junk, pizza ( from my fav place), fried chicken, pancit- Filipino noodles and cakes. I actually walked out when I first came for break and waited and hour to try again. Partly cos I was tempted by pizza, partly because the smell of the chicken was making me nauseous. You know that greasy yucky fried smell.

Anyway I opened my ordered in salad order specifically with no cheese or dressing. The thing is covered in beans and sweetcorn- not listed ingredients. Tbh it looked Devine and once this is done I'll be having again! The chicken was wrapped separately so rescued that and a few bits of salad leaf and had with pico de gallo and guacamole that it came with. More snack size but I've a full meal with me that I can eat when I'm ready.

How is every one else doing?

AFillmore, KellyGirl, and SamIAm, thanks for the welcome!  I have been doing Jazzercise for about six weeks now.  Despite the name, it incorporates a lot of strength into the classes.  In fact, I am going to a 45 min strength class now.  I'm hoping it will be the answer to my need for cardio and strength, as well as some fun, me time!  I'd write more, but I'm running late, as usual.  :)

I was doing super fantastic until today at 4 o'clock when I ate the annies organic macaroni and cheese I made for kids after school. It had greek yogurt in it and they didn't like it.. I didn't want to throw it out.. I should have.. but I did ride my bike 8 miles to work today.. I've been 100% compliant until the mac n cheese incident..  :(

But I'm feeling better, so that's a good thing. 

Anyone have any weekend cooking/prep plans going on?

AFillmore

As I understand it, this is not a program of goof ups but of achievements. Sad face not necessary.

As the book says, this is an experiment. What did you learn from the experience besides you didn't

like the choice you about keeping or throwing the mac out?

How did you feel physical, for instance.

Congrads on the bike ride!

Starting Day 6 today and feeling good.  Wish I could sleep better, but that will come.  Miss my coffee creamer (but not the ingredients!) and wine with dinner - sparkling water in a stemless wine glass is a good sub!

My first batch of mayo was awful - thought I could get away with using extra virgin olive oil :(  don't make that mistake!   Will pick up another oil today and try again - you guys have motivated me!

And I had no idea how scale obsessed I am - had to hide it.  Out of sight out of mind!  It's a bit sad to think we can get so tied to the numbers on a scale as if that means anything....

Biggest surprise of the week?  My always-hungry husband filling up on a compliant dinner and not scrounging for snacks in the evening.  He has no plans to do Whole 30, but decided my dinners looked good and he's enjoying them.   Ha!

Congrats to all of you for your super tips, sharing and support  - we are doing this!!

Kat

Good morning everyone, Day 7 and feeling pretty good about my choice to join W30. I am noticing a slight change in the way my clothes fits me. They're not as snug and tight as they once were, not loose by any means but still a change. Beginning to really feel like this is doable. Who loves PF Changs lettuce wraps?? I do, and made a paleo friendly recipe last night with a few changes. In the below recipe I left out the honey and dry sherry. Also used coconut aminos instead of tamari. It was so delicious I have to share the recipe!! Enjoy!

http://thedomesticman.com/2013/06/03/p-f-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

AFillmore, I have a 2 year and he is going through a phase where he picks at his food. He never really finishes any meal. I usually am the one that "cleans" his plate because I don't like to waste food either. This morning I had to throw out non compliant bacon. I felt terrible about it but threw it out quicker than I could think about it. So I feel your pain. Try not to be too hard on yourself. This is a learning process. Move on and start again. We will still be here to cheer you on. Here's a quote from the Daily Quote app that I thought was fitting:

"A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at."

- Bruce Lee

Refocus and aim high and you will do it!!

Hang in there everyone...we are Women on a Mission and together we can do this!!

- Chaffee

Day 5 here and feeling good. A giant headache last night but today is quite normal. Did you ladies give up coffee?   I haven't but might midway if I can handle it. I'm not hit with any cravings overall, but habit cravings like having the glass of wine near me in the evenings. The sparking water just isn't the same so for me, I'm just trying to get rid of the habit altogether.

Renee MB, I did Jazzercise after my second (a LONG time ago) and lost 20 # in 3 months grooving with the old ladies! Good for you! Strength training will be a great compliment.  Way to take time for you.

AFilmore and Chaffee, here's something I heard a bit ago about cleaning your kids' plates when you feel guilty about throwing their leftovers away:  YOU ARE NOT A GARBAGE CAN.  Put the garbage in the right place.

Sam, how are you holding up at the noncompliant house?  We're going out to eat tonight and I'm a bit nervous about that.

I made the mayo last night too - thanks for the recipe, AF! Lemon chive slathered over burgers. Mmmm.

Happy Saturday and Day 6 Ladies ( I don't think there are any men participating in this forum yet are there?)

AFillmore- I'm so glad you didn't beat your set up over the "mac-n-cheese" incident and that your shared it.  As much as we try to stay compliant, we all may have a mac-n-cheese incident in this 30day process.  My friend always reminds me, it's the recovery of those slips that matters more than the slip.    Loved your response too Gingermae.  So supportive and wise.

Kat, going to try mayo today with avocado oil.    I'm not sleeping very well either so I hope that starts to improve as we head in to week 2. 

Schachts- I am still drinking coffee.   A grande a day but no creamer just black (I have always been a strong black coffee girl).  Springing for Americanos these days.  

Does anyone us the Well Fed cookbook?  Thinking about getting that one. 

Chaffee, love your inspirational quote today.  I need it!

Tonight is the big 40th bday party and my first big social challenge while on Whole30.  I pray I can report to you that I stayed the course.   That's the plan.  The fact is that I am in complete control of what I put in my mouth.   No one is going to pour a glass of wine down my throat or shove a some cheese and crackers in my face.   Regardless of the social pressure, I am in control of what goes in my mouth.   I just need to be mindful and committed to this "experiment" and remember.... it's just 30 days.   

We can do this!!!   We all can do this!!  

Kellygirl

Thanks everyone.

@Kellygirl - I don't have the Well Fed cookbook.. but I do have Paleo Comfort Food, it's really good. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936608936/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411853413&sr=8-1&keywords=paleo+comfort+food

I haven't had coffee.. I really miss it.. mostly because it was warm, sugary, and sweet.. I liked coffee with flavored creamers and splenda..  

Doing good today.. Had a big yummie egg/veggie breakfast.. then went to see and MLS soccer game.. didn't eat the popcorn, beer, or icecream my family did.. 

Making pork chops with no sugar added applesauce for dinner. 

My son is having a really hard time with allergies right now, so we had to leave the game early. :(

Anyone else using the Two Grand App?

http://www.twogrand.com/

I really love it and would love to see what everyone else is eating. :)

@Kellygirl Well?  I am desperate to know how it went?  Well I hope.

@AFillmore - I am keeping a log on the personal log pages if you want to see what I am eating, but it is super-dull because of doing the extra restricted version.  

I had minced beef with spinach for breakfast this morning and much as I do love green vegetables, I decided I couldn't bear another green thing today.  So I roasted a chicken for lunch with roasted sweet potato and roasted parsnip.  I made gravy and it was DELICIOUS.  Oh so good! Comfort food.  It is getting a bit colder here and there is a real autumnal nip in the air.

I have been very bad tempered for the last few days, I am not sure if it is a symptom of changed diet or I am just in a bad mood, lol - I could do with a few more days of weekend before Monday!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

I just added some chicken stock from the pot that I had conveniently boiling on the stove, to the tin the chicken was cooked in, stirred it to get the crunchy, flavoursome bits off the bottom and added some arrowroot powder to thicken it.  A bit of salt and that was it.  If this was real life, I'd have added pepper and possibly some white wine to give it more flavour.  It was good though.

Good morning! Day 8 woohoo, and on to week 2! It's amazing how my taste buds have changed. Everything seems to taste more flavorful and fresh. I guess it's because its not loaded up with all the "extra" ingredients. I have to say, I can definitely get used to this. I didn't think I could do without my heavy carbs but I'm managing just fine. Last night I had a craving for pasta and used my new Veggetti (spaghetti spiral vegetable tool). I was at a friends and took my own groceries to cook. Made a yummy zucchini squash spaghetti dish with marinara. Added a pork loin chop as my protein and that was dinner. My friends all commented on how delicious my food looked and how it didn't look like "diet food". I was fine up until dessert. The birthday cake came out and it was my favorite dessert EVER, the Chantilly cake from Whole Foods! I had to leave the room and regroup. I took a minute and thought about how far I've come. I went back in and asked if anyone mind if ate the strawberries on top of the cake. I wiped them clean of the frosting and ate them. That somehow satisfied my mental taste bud if you know what I mean?! I'm sure this won't be the last temptation but going strong so far.

I'm all TEAM WOM! Let's do this!!

- Chaffee

Archived