Start date September 21

chafbui

Hi everyone! My name is Chaffee. I am a newbie to The Whole30. I had my son in June 2012 and haven't been able to lose my baby weight in over 2 years. I started the Whole Life Challenge with my sister a week ago and decided to step it up. Over the past week I have done a lot of research on diets and I decided this program is the right fit for me. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and need support as I go through the process. I look forward to corresponding with you!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Chaffee...I'm starting on Sunday also and this will be my first W30 also. I've done a lot of research over the past few days and am as ready to start as I'll ever be! It will be fun to chat online here to gain/offer support and share ideas for success. 

Here's to us!

Hi everyone, my name is Christian and today I am starting my first Whole30. I am morbidly obese and seeking to change my life. I want to be a better husband, brother, son and friend. I am also tired of all the health problems that I know have to be related to my poor eating habits. So needless to say I am thrilled to partake in the Whole30 and for the first time ever take control over my life. I wish everyone here the best. Its good to know other people are starting it around the same time as I am.

Hello again everyone! Hope you are starting off on the right foot today. As for me, I spent 2 hours grocery shopping, started at Whole Foods and since buying organic gets pricey, made a stop at Albertsons. For lunch I made Thai chicken curry w/ bell peppers and squash. Below is a link for the recipe. It was easy and yummy...my two favorite things about cooking!

http://everydaypaleo...een-thai-curry/

Reading these posts a day late, but can I be part of your "team"!!!  I started yesterday too!  From Summerland, British Columbia, Canada.  Yesterday went well, my issue is going to be wine (I live in Wine country and work in a Winery!) and sugar in my coffee.  I decided to start this challenge as my youngest kid went off to college 2 weeks ago, then on Friday my husband went back to work for 6 weeks in Malaysia, so figured that now is a perfect time for me to do something for myself, and to focus on for myself while I'm home alone!  I think it's going to be great.  Todays email said to reach out, so here I am!  Not sure how to follow this thread on here etc, but hope to stay in touch.  

Go go go on Day 2 folks!

Kim

Good morning Kim, ALL is welcome!! Glad to hear you want to do something for yourself. Moms tend to put everyone first and we forget about ourselves.

Im starting the morning with 2 baked chicken strips and an egg, 1/2 avocado and a bit of green beans.

Please share any yummy W30 recipes you find!

Kim... we are kindred souls.  My 'baby' just left last week (after being home all summer) for her Junior year at college.  I live alone (although for more than 6 weeks).  And wine is my absolute favorite.  Just one glass of red, but darn near every night.  That will be a tough one to kick....along with my beloved flavored coffee creamer.

I'm still a little unclear on how to follow these threads too...I sorted my forum search to only show threads I have replied to and that makes it easier.  We'll figure it out and be pro's after a while! ;)

-Laura

Hi all of us Sept 21st starters.  Anyone know how we keep connected to support each other - I'd really like that.  Had a hard time re-finding this link and can't see my original post either!  

Laura, we do sound similar - and my daughter that just left is called Laura too!  I'd be more of a 3 glasses of wine girl - whoops!  Thought it was time to see if I could do without it and convince myself I'm not an alcoholic!  Got past Day 1 so that's a start right?

Christian - thank you for sharing your situation.  If it helps any, I know a guy that 2 years ago was obese and he started Crossfit and followed a Paleo diet.  You should see him today - does "Tough Mudder" type races and has lost I'd guess over 150lbs.  He's so happy, his diabetes and other health issues went and is loving life now.  Good luck to you and keep in touch.

Kim

Kim, thanks for sharing that with me. It's always inspiring to hear of others who have reached their goals.

About following this topic, not sure if everyone's computer displays the same, but on mine if I scroll to the top I see a "search" bar with the words "view new content" below it. Underneath that my computer says "follow this topic".

Day 2 almost done everyone :), and of course people were eating pizza around me, and someone bought me a spicy peanut snack.

I refuse to give in.

Hi everyone, I've seen most of you on my thread or the other on that started this week.

I've started day 3 already, in fact it's mid morning now.

Was waiting outside a bakery this morning for my ride to work, all I could smell was croissants baking, it made me feel sick... Or at least I convinced myself it made me feel sick and I really didn't want one lol!

Lexybelle... yes, i'm bouncing back and forth on these 3 threads too. We are all kindred souls and it looks like we are all really committed to this.  So glad!  

I have been feeling a little 'icky' with certain smells of food too.  Not sure if it is physical or mental.  I am looking forward to being into week two or three of this and having things be a little more normal.  It's all still so new that I am hyper sensitive and nervous about being compliant.  Cant wait till it is more 'second-nature' and I can just relax and enjoy the delicious, healthy foods we are filling ourselves with.  I think prepping really well next weekend will help so I am not constantly worried about being caught without a compliant option for a meal.

Keep up the good work everyone!

-Laura

Morning to you all! How is everyone doing? Day 3 and so far so good, other than wanting to stuff my face with ice cream and a greasy bag of chips at 1am this morning. I managed to let the temptation pass and woke up happy that I didn't lose track! I am positive that these next 27 days will be life changing. I, like Laura, am looking forward to the days where things just come naturally. I used to laugh at my boyfriend for reading labels but now I'm obsessed....he says it's sexy lol!

On another note, I got a free app that has daily inspirational quotes that seem to be fitting for each day since Ive started this program. The app is DailyQuote and is sent directly to your phone at a chosen time of day. This mornings quote:

"Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them"

-Orison Swett Marden

Good day to us all :)

- Chaffee

Good morning everyone!  I'm thinking I'm in the latest time zone - especially as Lexybelle, I was reading your post at 7.30am this morning and you said it was already mid-morning.

Well, I had a yucky sleep - nothing to do with Whole 30 - a bear rummaging through our garbage a couple of times - need to bring that in.  Then I opened my email and the Whole 30 email said I'd feel tired, so I figured I wouldn't read the email until this evening as I didn't need to self prophesies about feeling tired!

Have a great day everyone!

Kim

Chaffee, congratulations for that big victory over the ice cream and chips. I am a late snack person, or should I say "was" a late snacker. So I feel your pain.

Can't believe it is day four already. I have never gone this long without bread, a sandwich or dairy.

Also, I know this is supposed to be about more than just weight loss, but it would be nice to go down a size by the end. Went to a store today where everything was just one size too small. But I know that weight loss or not, building a new mind set and a new relationship with food will all be worth it.

-Christian

Hello everyone...Day 3 and I don't know how I did it??!

I woke up this morning a lil tired but I'm not a morning person so it's pretty normal, usually don't feel better until after breakfast. I had leftover steak and mushrooms with 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, and tomatoes. Pretty hearty breakfast. Thought I'd feel better but felt worse. My body was aching and had a bit of a headache while still feeling sluggish. Figured it was just my workout from the day before. Made it to lunch. Fixed a tuna salad with compliant mayo and mange to force down a lil but nothing taste right. Finally had to lay down for a nap, just felt like I was worn out. Laid my son and myself down and napped for 2 1/2 hours! Woke up and it was time for dinner. I made my favorite pork chops with mango pinneapple salsa, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, and spaghetti cucumber. All organic and all too yummy! Still walking around like a zombie. I figured I'd call it an early night so I gave Landon a bath and we went back to bed (turned on the TV for the lil guy cause he wasn't havin' it). I was in bed by 8:30pm!!! I'm a night owl, I usually am up til 11pm or midnight if not later...

Any how, up now and wanted to share with you my Day 3. Thought it was strange how my day went down so I did a lil research. Seems as though feeling "hungover" is normal for Day 3. Had no idea!! I'll need to sign up for the daily newsletter so I can be more informed. I seriously felt like crap yesterday! Hope everyone else had a better day. Please share if you experienced what I did.

Here are the recipes to the pork chops and asparagus:

http://www.navywifecook.com/2013/07/pork-chops-with-pineapple-mango-salsa.html?m=1

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3159900635/broiled-prosciutto-wrapped-asparagus-spears

Going back to bed, see you all on Day 4 :)

- Chaffee

Oooh just found this thread too! I've just posted over on the other one.

Kimbosabi  - I'm with you on the 3 glasses of wine thing! I did FebFast over here in Aus and liked not drinking I kept going for over 3 months (until a dear friend came to visit from the UK) so I know I CAN stay off the booze. I seem to remember the first week was the worst.  How are you going with it?

Lexybelle - good to see another non-USA resident, how do you go getting organic/unusual products etc in the UAE? Where I live is pretty remote and doesn't have too much choice (I'm not even going to TRY for compliant bacon) but I did find coconut aminos today, yummy!

Plum x

I was so tired all day yesterday, I never thought to connect it to this, I assumed it was because I had a poor sleep the previous night. I napped 2 hrs in the afternoon, but still fell asleep if sofa after dinner for an hour. Went to bed at 11.30 but then typically couldn't sleep til 3.30. Let myself sleep without an alarm and got a good 8 hours- so very late wake up at noon but I'm working an overtime night shift later so it doesn't matter.

"Breakfast" was seared scallops cooked in ghee with mashed cauliflower with ghee and green beans. Delicious and yummy and totally indulgent.

Pork stir fry pre work at 6pm

Roast chicken with roasted sweet potato and veg for late dinner around 11pm

Sweet potato and squash soup with bacon bits for my 4 am meal

I know it's a lot of starchy food overnight but work is hectic and I won't sit still for more than a few mins and I need the comfort- can you imagine salad at 4am lol!

Hi Plum, getting organic is very easy but it's expensive and imported, local food is good but not organic.... So I'm torn between organic or carbon footprint lol! I tend to choose organic for "dirty food", local for as much as possible, imported for the rest. The country of origin is clearly marked on the shelves.

There's a British supermarket near me which stocks western food from UK, USA, Aus etc so I've found some stuff and of course there's achuge choice of ghee, coconut oils and olive oils as the population is so mixed. I did find compliant bacon pretty easily from a British supplier which is just salt with potassium nitrate and sodium nitrite as preservatives. But I do think British bacon and the generally discussed here US style bacon are quite different. They even taste different to me.

I haven't even started looking for coconut aminos, not sure I'd know where to start.

Wow, so cool we have people posting from New Mexico, Australia, UAE, US and Canada!

So far so good for me - loving some of the food I'm finding.  Last night made 6 chicken breasts with this recipe I found -http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/   and yes, it really is the best chicken I've ever made - at first it sounded like a bit of work (I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cooking and many things actually!) but it wasn't, and now I get leftovers too!

Having perrier with ice, lemon, limes and mint as a replacement for my wine - not too bad actually!

Kim

It's 1am for me, I've just had lunch of sweet potato, roast chicken, and cabbage. The staff room is riddled with kfc, pizza and cakes- one of my collegues has a birthday. My lunch was so tasty I can't say I feel like I missed out in the slightest!

Working the night shift btw.

Archived