Start date September 21

chafbui

Hi everyone, how are you holding up? I'm on Day 7 and starting to see a change in the way my clothes fit. Not only that but feeling a burst of energy too. Yesterday I completed all but one thing on my to do list! And it was a pretty long list. Feeling good and focus. I want to share a knock off PF Changs lettuce wrap recipe. Tweeked it a bit...made it without the honey and dry sherry and used coconut aminos instead of tamari. It came out even better than the restaurant version! Yummy yummy!!

http://thedomesticman.com/2013/06/03/p-f-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

- Chaffee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, how's it going?  We're on Day 7!  Tonight we'll have crossed off a week - yay for us!  

My challenge the last 2 nights has been at work - I was given some freshly made beet pasta by one of the Chef's to try and had to turn him down - that was tough - fresh pasta??!!  Then the "after work glass of wine" is tough to miss, but my San P with lemon and ice seems to be an ok replacement for now.

I certainly am sleeping like a baby - wow, don't quite understand why that happens as they predicted.  How do the "wrong" foods keep us awake?  Strange but seems to be true so far.  I'm using theclothesmakethegirl.com website lots for recipe's which is super helpful.  

Lexibelle, Christian, Laura, akteachergal, Plum, how are you doing?  Chaffee (love that name btw!) thanks for the recipe.  Never heard of sweet potato vermicelli??  Looks great!

Onwards!

Kim

Hi everyone, I'm coming to the end of day 7 , wow what a quick week it's been!

I'm loving the food, making stuff I'd never considered before as i shrugged it off as too much hassle! My food processor is getting a daily work out lol!

I've had a good week no major side effects until today, but since I'm on night shift a lot of the m could be related to that. Tired, grumpy, bloated, mad crazy thirst, and urge to nibble even though I'm not hungry.

I still have fears I'm doing something wrong as it all seems a bit to easy though ....

Congratulations everyone on surviving week one. Lexy, sorry to hear about the those bad side effects, hopefully is just temporary. Chaffe, that is super awesome, I also had quite a burst of energy even though I had been sleep deprived from late night studying.

Kim, wow. What a thing to be offered. Fresh pasta?

The other night I wanted my wife to have a good dinner for her birthday so I took her to a nice restaurant and was able to say no to the free fresh baked bread and all the other goodies, just steak and veggies, with lemon water. 

Honestly, never thought I had it in me to say no to pizza, donuts, bread, pasta, and rice. So if nothing else, this has already been life changing by showing me I don't have to give in to everything that is placed before me.

Christian, Good for you! So awesome that you have come this far, keep up the good work! Remember nothing is "impossible" the word itself reads "I'm possible" :)

lexybelle, I feel like you do. It's been a pleasant surprise how easy it's been to eat healthy...I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong too. I'm double and triple checking labels thinking "This is too good to be true". I think part of it is being prepared. Tonight's a friend's birthday. The plan was taco night with rice and beans. Although it was last minute, I swung by my house grabbed a zucchini, yellow squash, some sugar free marinara and chicken. Having the food available made it easy. No one cared that I made myself my own dinner...at first I was embarrassed. But everyone admired my discipline and determination. In the end I felt good about making the extra stop to bring my own groceries.

Now the dessert wasn't as easy. They had my absolute favorite cake from Whole Foods....the to die for Chantilly. I did good though, ate the fruit of the cake and wiped it clean of the frosting. Yay me!!

By the way, my new toy is the Veggetti spiral vegetable cutter. If you are craving pastas, this kitchen tool is exactly what u need. I made spaghetti zucchini and squash. Mentally it satisfied my pasta craving. It's available at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Hope everyone is having a successful Day 7!!

- Chaffee

Christian, well done for overcoming that challenge! Every success is worth celebrating!

Chaffee, love the idea of cooking up your own food, you can still be part of the meal without sacrificing your plan! Another success!

I'm struggling to find a spiral cutter here, have a julienne peeler so that's fine in the mean time,.

I've been faced with junk food I love all weekend at work but once I explained I'm doing this to get healthier no one was gone let me near a slice of pizza, in fact we might get a couple of people starting soon.

I'm officially starting week 2 now! Well I'm crawling into bed after night shift and will eat later. I'm so proud if myself for getting through week 1 in one piece that I'm gonna give myself a little reward tmw... Shopping trip in Dubai! Woohoo! (I'll look for a spiral cutter there) I will be that person at lunch though, making sure my salad is compliant. I don't embarrass easily!

Now here's a crazy thought for you all... My whole 30 finishes the day my parents arrive for a two week visit... I'm already planning to start another one the day after they leave!

Lexybelle, you can shop for the spiral kitchen tool online also. I found a few sites that have them. If you google "vegetable spaghetti spiral slicer" a bunch comes up. The Veggetti I purchase does its job but I wish I would have splurge and got the bigger one. I think it's called the Spiralflix slicer. It sits on the counter top where the Veggetti is hand held. The Veggetti also has a smaller funnel to twist the vegetable. I had to cut my zucchini and squash in half and ended up throwing out a bunch of half broken pieces. May still see if I can exchange for the more expensive version.

Hope all is well. Enjoy your day :)

I did a bad thing today... I gave in to the desire to stand on the scales. It was bad I know and I've since put them somewhere difficult to reach.

I have had a loss, I'm not gonna say how much because I don't want to encourage any of you to give in, but it was enough for me to know thisbis worth any sacrifices I feel I'm making ( not that I do cos I'm eating amazing food).

I think today I heard the most horrible words, "just have a little bite, it wont kill you". This referring to a fresh home made chocolate and cream cake. I'll be honest, for one second, just one split second, it crossed my mind that they were right. One small bite wont kill me, but it will undo everything I am trying to work hard for. Glad I can remember that I am not going through this by myself, and that we have had to say no to a tempting food here and there.  So thank you Lexybelle, Chaffee, Kim, and Plum for sharing your experiences as you go through this program.

-Christian

That just makes me mad Christian!  that's so un-supportive of that person - sorry if it's a good friend or family.  Awesome job on staying strong though!  Yes, we might not be there in person, but we're right behind you, cheering you on Christian - stay strong, we can do this!

The other day at work I was pouring a lovely bottle of Syrah for one of my tables and the guy offered me a glass of it, I said "thanks, that would be great!" completely forgetting for a moment that I was on the Whole 30!  I got half way to pick up a glass and said "what am I thinking???!!!"  too funny.  I just told me I can try that glass of wine after 21 days but NOT NOW!

Kim

Thanks so much Kim. Yeah about the scale, that is what I found kind of hilarious, that I think we all got tempted on the same thing. That crazy scale. But I agree with what you and lexybell said, much, much better to give in and weigh than to eat something bad and completely break the Whole30.

I know those of you outside of the U.S are working on day 10 already, so congratulations. We are already one third of the way through. :)

If I had to have a weak moment I'm glad it was with the scales and not with food... I know it's banned but going a week without weighing in virtually unheard of for me unless I'm away on holiday.

I definitely won't do it again! For a start I can't reach it, it's in a cupboard I can only reach if I move half the furniture in my bedroom- way too much effort! Thank you to my lovely tall friend who put it up there and for my genes making me a shortie lol

Hi all :) how's it going? It maybe to soon to talk about results but I think it would be great if we shared our before and after results with each other. I have resisted stepping on the scale but know things are moving along. I have the worse seasonal allergies and have been feeling like my sinuses are clearing up. Weird how simple a concept, eat healthy feel healthy!! Day 10 is almost over and dinner is smelling yummy. I have carnitas stewing in the crock pot! Here's the recipe:

http://popularpaleo.com/2013/01/07/crock-pot-carnitas/

I used pork shoulder instead of pork loin, a little fattier but they're carnitas!

Proud of us! We are doing this!

- Chaf, BTW my good friends call me Chaf, that includes you all :)

Well, Chaf :) I am proud of us all for doing this as well. I think this is the time in the whole30 for me where it finally hit me. Wow! we are really doing this! And thanks for the recipe, it looks easy to make and tasty.

About results so far, I don't take heartburn and indigestion pills anymore. Yay! I have suffered from bad heartburn for years, and it is gone. Also, it may just be me, but my skin looks clearer. But something I am really proud of is being able to order my food with control and not being ashamed. For example yesterday I went to a sandwich restaurant and made them make me a grilled chicken sandwich without the bread or condiments. They were confused and not too happy because they had never had anyone do that, and that didn't bother me. The guy even said, "it's kind of messed up to come to a sandwich place and not order a sandwich". So, yeah.

Weird story alert: One last thing, something I am not really proud of, but I did crack in one area. I woke up panicked at 3am, because I had a vivid dream that I have been sleep walking and eating bread at night. Something that could be a possibility because of my stress levels recently and very few hours of sleep (school exams). So at 3 am I ran to the bathroom mirror to see if I had bread crumbs on my lips or anything. So I did end up pulling out the scale and verifying that I wasn't heavier than when I started (which is a scary thought). :( Sorry guys.

Hey Christian, that's so awesome about your heartburn and indigestion pills not being needed!  That was quick too eh?  That has to feel so encouraging for you.  I think after the dream you had, jumping on the scales is one of the lesser harmful things you could have done!!  Were you happy with what it said?  I probably shouldn't ask that question eh?)

All is going good for me.  Actually finally bought a Vitamix - been thinking about it forever and was encouraged to with this challenge happening.  Made some almond milk and had my very first coffee in 12 days with an Almond Milk Latte!  Yummy!

Now I really want to encourage my husband to do this when he's home as he suffers with heartburn and indigestion so much too - thanks for the info Christian, that will help with my persuading him!!  I think he needs to decide for himself though, we'll see.

Have a great Day 12 everyone - we're nearly 1/2 way and I'm thinking I may just be staying with this way of eating as I'm loving it and how I feel - may have to add wine though after Day 30!

Kim

Hey Kim, to answer your questions I was really happy with what it said. It was a relief. Good luck with your husband, hope my story helps, stomach problems really have a way of taking the fun out of life. I am hoping that my example will eventually draw my wife towards this.

And I am with you, after the whole 30 I may just stay eating like this (at least for the most part), its been fun and actually delicious. And surprisingly, I don't think I am spending as much as I thought I would, other than getting things that last a long time like coconut aminos and such.

Congrats, everybody

Now I want to weigh myself :( too bad my sister won't give me my scale back!! We all are working so hard at staying positive and staying on track...I feel like a weigh in would not hurt anything??! I know I know, trust in the process. I am thinking clearer, sleeping better, and have a burst in energy...you would think that is enough "proof"? Guess the scale can wait 18 more days.

Wishing everyone the best :)

- Chaf

Really sorry chaf for the temptation :(. Glad you have a supportive sister. Guess I should have gone and shared this with my family, but I am hoping the results will do the speaking for me. I think (and hope) that after doing this myself for 30 days they can see it is possible to live without bread, and live to tell about it. Who knew? :)

Christian, no worries! I'm fighting the urge to go buy another scale, or even stand on one in the store lol!

Hope everyone's ready for week 3 (our half way mark)!! Dinners in the oven and it smells like a 5 star restaurant in my house :) here's another delicious recipe:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2938524906/braised-chicken-legs-with-artichokes-and-pearl-onions

-Chaf

Hi everyone,

I hope you all are well. I'm afraid my week got the better of me and everything has collapsed into a heap of cheesy fries. To cut a long story short it started with 3 days of nasty stomach bug where in ended up in urgent care getting a bag of fluids IV, then my dog died, so far my only weakness was the toast I'd eaten when sick- always a go to food when sick., then I went back on night shifts and was barely sleeping and to top it all off I broke up with my boyfriend.

I realise all of this is pretty trivial in comparison to what some people cope with everyday but for me everything combined was enough to floor me.

Yes I'm upset I gave in when everything go too much, but life's too short to punish myself so I'll start back with day 1 again tomorrow.

Archived