Help! I thought ate whole 30 when eating out

Destinyquest

I'm on day 6 of Whole30 and have stuck to it 100%. I went.out to dinner with a friend and ordered a steak- no sauce, tossed salad with no dressing- i liked off the cheese, steamed carrots and beets and a side of mushrooms. I thought it was whole 30 but my guts are turning- which is why I started the whole 30 in the first place. Help! Where did I go wrong and do I start over again?

Sorry you are having a bad reaction, and hope you feel better soon.  It's possible something was wrong with the food, or it was cooked in an oil that would have upset your stomach (soybean oil for instance).  It could have been the combo of veggies - that combo does a number on me unless cooked mushy (not the lettuce of course). 

If you're seriously concerned about having gotten something off-plan, you could call tomorrow and ask how they prepare their steaks when they are cooked with no sauce, and how the mushrooms are cooked.  Things like soy (in oils or marinades usually), gluten, or msg are causes for re-starts; sugar isn't.

Feel better soon.

• Moderators

I am afraid that commercial kitchens may dust steaks and/or veggies with flour before grilling. The flour is a cheap, easy way to to brown meat or get veggies crispy. If you are sensitive to gluten, that could explain your reaction. But like Amy said, talking with the restaurant is the only way to know for sure what might have happened. 

Archived