look pregnant after eating

Despite not drinking water before/during/after meals, cooking veggies well, taking digestive enzymes, I get so bloated after every meal I actually look pregnant. Any advice? :(

I am SO. HAPPY. I'm not the only one out there who has this kind of bloating!!!!! Like, OVERJOYED. I mean, it sucks, but I feel like when people complain of bloating it's more of a feeling, or PMS-related, and not the 5-months-pregnant kind. I have been struggling with this pretty much my whole life, and I am not, nor have I ever been, a large person. I'm pretty content with my body - EXCEPT my stomach. I'm in great shape, at a healthy weight, I eat really well (Whole 30 for the last couple months), I'm not constipated, I take enzymes and probiotics...and yet there's MONSTROSITY of a belly remains, even when I haven't just eaten. So, I get it.

In addition to what the video talks about, here's what I, personally, have found helpful so far:

1. Eliminating sugar - obviously forbidden on the Whole 30, but I will say that this made a significant difference in the severity of bloating for me. Whether it was the sugar itself, when I was eating it (see #2), the emotions associated with it (see #4), or all of the above, cutting it out completely was the best decision EVER.

2. Not eating sweet foods with/after meals - fruit/sugar + savoury stuff does NOT go over well with me. Obviously the "dessert" habit is out on a Whole 30, but even fruit with a meal is a no-go. I know eating fruit alone is not encouraged, but for me, if I really want it, that's the only way it's gonna happen.

3. Not drinking tea/coffee with/after meals - as much as I would like to relax with a hot beverage after eating, it makes me SO. BLOATED. Even if I wait 1/2 an hour or sometimes more, and no, it doesn't make a difference for me whether it is caffeinated or not. No, just no.

4. ***ANXIETY*** - the elephant in the room. If I'm not anxious, and I stick to Whole 30-compliant meals, the bloating - while still there - will not be aggravated. However, if I AM anxious or stressed at all - even if my stomach is empty - the belly goes POOF! So, addressing my chronic anxiety has been KEY - dare I say THE key - to reducing bloating.

Yes, I still have a belly (and no, it's NOT fat!), but it IS getting ever-so-slowly - like, snail's-pace slowly - better. It takes diligence, and patience, and acceptance, and watching your symptoms like a freaking HAWK, but it can get better.

I just wanted to chime in here, because I can really relate to the last post, especially being happy with my body except for the belly. I've had it so long, I didn't even expect whole30 to clear it up, I was doing it for other digestive issues. I extended my whole30 to a whole45, and guess who woke up day 38 with a flat stomach!!!

It's come back since of course, but I'm starting the long road of figuring out what causes it...

I feel ya! Same here. I brought lots of digestive problems into my Whole30 (currently on day 23) and it has become SOOO much worse. I'm teetering between giving it more time (is my body still adjusting?!) and doing a more strict protocol- FODMAPS. I have no advice only know, you're not alone!

AnnaLog, I did paleo for around a year, a regular whole30, more paleo (whole30 apart from a little sugar), then a  low FODMAP whole45, and its been the low fodmaps that have helped, but apples gave me cramps before, and I couldn't eat too many grapes, so I had some clues that that might have been the problem.

Are there any foods you eat that make it worse?

Wow, these posts are all so informative!  I knew I wasn't alone but I really couldn't pinpoint my problem.  I've always battled bloating and in recent years bouts of constipation.  Was hoping to gain better insight doing my second W30.  I'm on day 24 and my bloating still comes and goes along with the constipation.  It seems I start every morning with minimal problems and things just go up and down from there.

Thank you 'little mighty' for listing what you have found helpful.  The part about fruit after a meal resonates with me most!  I have tried to avoid fruit for the most part but when I was having it was immediately following a meal...reading over and over again that was the best way.  When I do that is when my stomach goes from semi-bloated to pregnant in an instant.  I think I'm very similar to you in that fruit doesn't bother my stomach on its own.  Probably worth the risk of occasionally spiking my blood sugar.

What I've found helpful but also most challenging is the mindful practice of slowly eating my meals.  I think this alone has been a big accomplishment because it's been the hardest.  I grew up the youngest of six children so shoveling food into your mouth for 20+ years is all I've ever known.  Definitely hard to break that habit.  I also know, like many, I have a hard time digesting raw veggies including leafy greens.  So when I am eating salad I make sure I liquefy it in my mouth before swallowing.  I generally roast a lot of veggies since I enjoy them that way more.  Avoiding water during meals does seem to help but I do drink a lot.

I've been adding bone broth and coconut oil (in my coffee) to my mourning routine.  Sweet potatoes definitely help but I noticed this week I subbed delicata squash and I guess it's not as effective.  There are so many variables out there that it's very easy to get overwhelmed.  I've been telling myself I am going to start a food journal but I still have not.  Don't get too discouraged because from what I've read here more people are in this boat than you would think.  It takes a lot of time and patience so don't give up yet.  I'm staying hopeful.  And it's definitely great to know we're not alone  :D

Leahcarn- I do notice sometimes fruit -apples in particular- cause the bloating and gas. I'm so deep into this (almost two weeks now where it's almost constant, morning to night) that it's hard to tell. Being mindful and eating slow is new to me too, so that I am working on. I've even become a bit paranoid about it: how should I drink water, I normally guzzle it, am I taking in too much air?! Etc etc. I think FODMAPS is the way I should go but quite honestly, that's half of what I eat that is now gone and I find it rather depressing. It's not always easy to face your problems right?! Hahahaha! I'm sort of in a "why me" mode... I'll get there I'm sure, I just need to buckle down

I had this last week and I was advised to cut out mushrooms and cabbage...but after some experimentation it is oranges that make me bloat. Even the tiny bites I was taking of my son's, too little for me even to consider putting in my food log (I know...bad...)

Who'd have thought it ;)

I guess it is very individual but it's madness that something I ate before whole30 with no bloating I now can't stomach without looking 6 months pregnant!

Maybe it was masked by other things? The fodmaps plan is TOUGH, I know what you mean about looking at the list and thinking that's everything I eat, but I found the fodmap whole30 shopping list really helpful. I'm doing a reintrduction now, with accompanying log, and almost not losing my mind (although I did throw a small tantrum when I realised it would take 6 months to do them all properly)

On the plus side, its gone again :)

It takes ME 6 months to reintroduce lol

For a low fodmap whole45, I only ate items that appeared on the green on this list http://n1inbrooklyn.tumblr.com/post/79172568574/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance-a-k-a

and blue (some black where I KNEW i was ok) on this list

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

I made up a table in microsoft word for fodmaps, divided into fructose, fructans, polyols, etc (cross-referenced from a few different places, sadly not saved on my computer) with rows for Yes i can eat it, no it gives me symptoms (and I'm recording what they all are), and untested food.

After that, I ran until I had 5 symptom-free days (gas, bloating, loose stool, stomach cramps), then ate one food off my table. Back to whole30 low fodmap, for 5 symptomfree days, then recorded my results for that food and introduced another one (in theory. My willpower isn't perfect, so I have introduced two at once a couple of times and regretted it)

The 6 months estimate came from the fact there are around 35 untested food, and 5 symptomfree days between introducing each one gives me 175 days.

Hope this all makes sense

I envy where you are haha! It's so overwhelming and isolating (hiding the bloat... Gas... Etc ... Etc...). I hope to be where you are as soon as possible! The hardest part has been the fact that I've been way worse while doing Whole30. There are some days I feel like, well fine, I might as well have freakin ice cream if I'm going to be this miserable! Anyhow... Thanks for all the info!

Ha, been there done that (and regretted it LOL) . I have a bad habit of eating junk when I'm feeling bad, because the damage has already been done right? It's a hard habit to break.

I know they differ on some lists, that's why I only eat things good on both lists (I suspect some nuts are an issue for me)

Good luck with it

Leahcarn thought I'd come back for a question: what's your thought on potatoes? I see white potatoes (standard russet?) listed as ok, yams in the be careful, but no mention of red/yellow potatoes. Do you have any thoughts on this? Also, if I don't see a vegetable listed period (butternut squash) is it out?

Archived