leahcarn FODMAP reintroduction log

leahcarn

Ok, I need to get back on track with my FODMAP reintroductions. I started noticing great whole30 effects on day 38 (no bloating or digestive issues), but now I've lost the magic. I had the same problem last whole30 - I also started eating food that I just coincidentally hadn't eaten over the 30 days, and some of that food wasn't good.

So far this time:

Mushrooms are ok <5 per meal

Carob and cocoa both ok.

Onions - cramps and gas

Either pumpkin seeds or potato - cramps, bloating, loose stool

Either boysenberries or blackberries - cramps and bloating.

My plan is to get more systematic about this. 5 no symptom days between reintroductions, one reintro at a time, and I hope by logging here I will stay accountable to my plan.

Wish me luck

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low fodmap day 1.

Still suffering from yesterday. Looks like either garlic, almonds, cashews, potatoes or bell peppers give me loose stool. (Yea it wasn't too good from a reintroduction point of view)

M1: scotch egg, carrot sticks and coconut butter

Planned M2: chicken and roast vege fritatta

Planned M3: Leftover beef cheek and Bacon stew with Swedes.

Low fodmap day 1 complete, no further symptoms. I had some jerky and a hard boiled egg right after I got home from work, and had roast veges and silverbeet with M3 instead of Swedes. Had another egg and a half carrot as postWO meal just now, off to bed.

Low fodmap day 2, less bloating, still loose stool.

M1: scotch eggs, carrot sticks, 1/3 normal amount coconut butter and 1 blueberry (sampling recipe for work function)

M2: frittata same as yesterday

Snack: boiled egg, half a carrot, beef jerky, small amount dark chocolate

M3: beef steak with rosemary, sage and avocado oil, mashed kumara with ghee, kale

Low fodmap day 4, symptom free day 2.

M1: scotch eggs, carrot sticks, coconut butter

M2: frittata same as yesterday

M3: carrot, kale, zucchini, beef strips with coconut aminos and ginger

I have a friends wedding tomorrow, and I'm determined to stay on plan

M2: paleo waffles and rhubarb

M3: 3 boiled eggs, carrot, protein ball

M4 still to go

I can't log today as low fodmap because I don't know exactly what I've eaten (restaurant food), but I am symptom free so far

28 Sept

M1: Bacon, eggs, mushroom, tomatoes, spinach

M2: scallops, Bacon, lettuce, carrot, tomato

M3 still to go

Not low fodmap (mushrooms are ok for me, and restaurant so i ate what I could get) but symptom free so far. Hubby bought me a julienne peeler for when I complete 2 more successful reintroductions

Sept 29, day 1 low fodmap, day 2 no symptom.

I'm wondering whether it's been longer as I got an uncomfortable stomach in the car on the way home from the wedding too, but was fine once I took the fancy dress and heels off lol. Counting it as day 2 anyway.

M2: frittata same as last week
M3 still to go. Will be roast beef with rosemary, roast veges as for yesterday, and spinach.

Planning next reintroduction for hopefully thursday

Loose stool yesterday, obviously the uncomfortable stomach was indicating something. Bloating has also gone down today and I didn't even notice it was back. I've decided to aim for 3 symptom free days between reintroductions, as I never get symptoms on days 3-5. Hopefully today is low fodmap day 2, no symptom day 1.

M1: scotch eggs, carrot sticks, coconut butterM2: frittata with beef cooked in red wine and thyme and carrots and roast veges from last week and spinach (i have big frittatas)

M3: running late so I grabbed 6 of min min paleos spicy tuna cakes as they came out the oven, with no time to add extra vege or fat, although I did eat a carrot while they were cooking. I got home after my meeting and dog training and I was starving so...

REINTRODUCTION: Coconut milk. Half a can upon getting home from training. I so hope it goes ok.

I know, my theory is that coconut butter is fatty, so less water-soluble fodmaps. Sadly, no idea what was in the protein ball, it was emergency food purchased at a paleo bakery because I was really busy the week before the wedding and couldn't prep my own.

Now I know coconut milk can be an issue (bloating and gas) I will play with smaller volumes.

Day 1 low fodmap, gas

M1: salmon, eggs in coconut oil, carrot.

M2: still to come - fritatta as for yesterday

M3: still to come

TMI

Solid stool! YES!! 

This puts coconut milk in the "worth it on occasion" category for now, as there was no pain and no embarrassing bathroom emergencies, which are definitely my most disruptive symptoms. Apparently coconut has sorbitol, so I'll add it to the sugar alcohols section of my chart. Aiming for next reintro anywhere from saturday afternoon, don't know what it will be yet though... (hubby stole the nice yellow and black spotted banana I had been cultivating to test ripe and unripe bananas separately lol)

Yesterday M3: chicken and bacon meatballs, roast veges as above, silverbeet with cinnamon

PostWO: 2 tuna cakes, and half a sweet potato (my body was crying out for carbs)

Within 20 minutes of my postWO, stomach had blown up like a balloon. Too much sweet potato i guess?

I was also a bit gassy all day. Time now to let my stomach settle before next reintro

Oct 2nd, Day 0 low fodmap. Bloating and softish stool

M2: fritatta as for yesterday

Snack: dried fruit and nuts (I was driving and feeling woozy, they were what I had in the car left over from when I got fainting spells. Dried fruit is a fodmap, and there was also a hazelnut in there)

M3: 5 of nom nom paleos tuna cakes, some chicken and bacon meatballs from yesterday, cup of chicken bone broth. Not remotely template, but I'm sad and lonely, and its a better option than fish and chips

Oct 3rd, Day 1 low fodmap - with determination!

pre-WO: chicken and bacon meatballs

M2: fritatta as for yesterday

M3: beef cheek in the slow cooker with roast swede and a quarter cup of blueberries

Symptoms: soft stool, less gas, and no bloating

Oct 4th, Day 2 low fodmap - with ambition!

M1: Beef cheek omelette with crinkle cut carrot sticks (hubby gave my a crinkle knife as a reward for doing 2 reintroductions)

M2: frittata as for yesterday and cup of bone broth

M3: beef stew with tomato, pumpkin, zucchini, carrot and a square of dark chocolate

No symptoms day 1

Archived